Sleepy YNA in bottom corner of cage ..

Feb 20, 2023
U.S.A.
Parrots
Yellow Naped Amazon (rescue)
Rescued my beautiful YNA, 37 yr old.
He has slept on his perch at night but occasionally he will go to a certain corner (closer to front right of cage near where I sit on my bed)
I thought, maybe wishful thinking, that he sits there while Iā€™m on the bed, because he wants to be near me or felt comfortable enough to sleep next to me. šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™€ļø
He isnā€™t lethargic & he is pretty much getting almost his 12 hr sleep, covered.
He is very active & playful too.

Iā€™m thinking maybe all the activity & attention he is getting now compared to the place he was neglected could be tuckering him out.
Iā€™ve let him out of his cage & they never let him outā€¦ maybe once or twice.

Is this normal for them to nap at the bottom?

When he wants me to play with him he goes to the bottom too.
Sometimes though when Iā€™m sitting on bed he will come sit there, fluff up & nap.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    272.2 KB · Views: 43

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Might be his preference. I would suggest you get a cheap kitchen scale and start weighing him every few days, as weight loss is one of the first outward signs of parrot illness. They can't hide that. A loss of 2-3% would be cause for concern.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I like my good friend above, I get nervous when an Amazon is on the bottom of a cage as that is one of the signs of possible illness!

However, here your Amazon is making a statement that he wants to be nearer to you and would likely want to come out of the cage to be closer. Not sure how much out of cage time he is getting, but I see no reason to not greatly increase it, especially when you are near by.

You Amazon is adjusting very well!!

OP
Chubby The Amazon
Feb 20, 2023
U.S.A.
Parrots
I like my good friend above, I get nervous when an Amazon is on the bottom of a cage as that is one of the signs of possible illness!

However, here your Amazon is making a statement that he wants to be nearer to you and would likely want to come out of the cage to be closer. Not sure how much out of cage time he is getting, but I see no reason to not greatly increase it, especially when you are near by.

You Amazon is adjusting very well!!
Thank you very much for the response. Heā€™s my little rescue baby & his previous owner had him for 37 years & when he passed away his son did not know how to take care of him nor have the time.
He wasnā€™t ever really out of his cage at all & as we all know these particular parrots need that out of cage time & attention.
He does have a bit of cage aggression because of this but everyday I let him out & we are making lots of progress.
He is getting a new cage tomorrow because the one he was living in was RUSTY & so are all his toys. He will be seeing the vet this weekend (probably for the first time in his life) just to get him a wellness check & anything else he needs.
Currently itā€™s his cage out time & he came out to chill. Over time Iā€™m sure he will get more comfortable.

OP
Chubby The Amazon
Feb 20, 2023
U.S.A.
Parrots
Might be his preference. I would suggest you get a cheap kitchen scale and start weighing him every few days, as weight loss is one of the first outward signs of parrot illness. They can't hide that. A loss of 2-3% would be cause for concern.
Yes. I will do that once he gets comfortable with me. He is a rescue with cage aggression & weā€™ve JUST made progress of me being able to feed treats from my fingers outside the cage & petting his beak from inside cage. Iā€™ve just set up his Health Insurance & he has a vet visit this weekend.
It will take time with his history to get used to being handled again.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Thank you very much for the response. Heā€™s my little rescue baby & his previous owner had him for 37 years & when he passed away his son did not know how to take care of him nor have the time.
He wasnā€™t ever really out of his cage at all & as we all know these particular parrots need that out of cage time & attention.
He does have a bit of cage aggression because of this but everyday I let him out & we are making lots of progress.
He is getting a new cage tomorrow because the one he was living in was RUSTY & so are all his toys. He will be seeing the vet this weekend (probably for the first time in his life) just to get him a wellness check & anything else he needs.
Currently itā€™s his cage out time & he came out to chill. Over time Iā€™m sure he will get more comfortable.
Assure that your Amazon gets to be part of assembling the new cage, that will greatly help the transfer to the new cage. The more he gets to be on the new cage as it is assembled the better. FYI, most larger cages assembly easier upside-down.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
My YNA would sometimes sit at the bottom of his cage.
I donā€™t know why.
But sometimes some birds like to eat at the bottom of the cage.
What I do is put an inch or two of millet seed on the bottom of the cage and let them munch on that.
Or a paper plate with some pellets or other stuff he likes.

OP
Chubby The Amazon
Feb 20, 2023
U.S.A.
Parrots
Assure that your Amazon gets to be part of assembling the new cage, that will greatly help the transfer to the new cage. The more he gets to be on the new cage as it is assembled the better. FYI, most larger cages assembly easier upside-down.
Thank you. I will sure to do that.

Most Reactions

Latest posts