Small particles in parrot poop

DanaDMG

Apr 21, 2023
Parrots
Lovebird Dutch blue mutation, 2 hrs old
Hi everybody! Iā€™m new here and want to ask a question for which me and my veterinarian cannot find an answer.

This is how my lovebirds poop looks like, does anybody know what those small green particles are? It is not undigested food.

Photos attached.

Health story:
-3 batches of eggs since January and we donā€™t know how to help with the hormonal imbalance( we tried every step we could find and itā€™s not working)
-her liver is a bit enlarged and now with the eggs even more
-she had metal poisoning which now is cured but she still has some small conglomerates which can be seen on the x ray that wonā€™t go away
-she had streptococcus halo Lori us which was just a small amount and it is cured now
-her poop was usually good and every problem started when she laid eggs; until then, everything was fine
-since the egg laying the poop just takes many forms every singe time: the solid part is usually bright green, light green or normal, either a lit slimey either solid either a bit watery with those small green particles inside, watery or not, white urine or green, white Urates and very rarely yellow

What could she possibly have at this point? We donā€™t even know what tests to perform anymore, we went too often to the vet and donā€™t want to stress her.

Thank you

Attachments

• 3BE1AF63-0051-49DA-910E-528E6DE9B935.png
    3BE1AF63-0051-49DA-910E-528E6DE9B935.png
    472.3 KB · Views: 33
  • 1F281FAD-D2F2-4A7C-BA4B-25D8C0D7B6B7.jpeg
    1F281FAD-D2F2-4A7C-BA4B-25D8C0D7B6B7.jpeg
    183.3 KB · Views: 34
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 34

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
That poop looks very odd!

Iā€™m not sure what could be going on with your girl! I hope someone else chimes in!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I am not an avian vet, but watery poop can be several things, commonly a bacterial infection.

The green and white part of common poop would be more solid with less watery urine floating everything apart.

Your Parrot has and/or is going thru numerous medical issues and much of this could be recovery to some point. It is concerning that your vet cannot ID what your parrot is faced with.

Antibiotics maybe helpful, but that would be a call by your Vet as s/he would know had would be a proper choice.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I am not an avian vet, but watery poop can be several things, commonly a bacterial infection.

The green and white part of common poop would be more solid with less watery urine floating everything apart.

Your Parrot has and/or is going thru numerous medical issues and much of this could be recovery to some point. It is concerning that your vet cannot ID what your parrot is faced with.

Antibiotics maybe helpful, but that would be a call by your Vet as s/he would know had would be a proper choice.
That is some strange looking parrot poop! Can you get a second opinion or can your vet call an avian vet colleague, even one from a different locale that may have more experience for a phone consult? I don't see how we can help too much. I think one this requires a CAV because your bird has a pretty complex medical history.

OP
D

DanaDMG

Apr 21, 2023
Parrots
I think I can find another doctor, itā€™s a bit tricky as we only have 1-2 avian vets in the country as far as I know and Iā€™ve already been to both.
We did a lot of tests and her blood work is pretty good, Iā€™m concerned that laying so many eggs has affected her liver very bad( she already had fatty liver) and maybe thatā€™s why it looks like this.
I will come back with an answer if I manage to find a doctor soon, but I do hope that someone around here might also help.
Thank you!

OP
D

DanaDMG

Apr 21, 2023
Parrots
Hi everybody! Iā€™m new here and want to ask a question for which me and my veterinarian cannot find an answer.

This is how my lovebirds poop looks like, does anybody know what those small green particles are? It is not undigested food.

Photos attached.

Health story:
-3 batches of eggs since January and we donā€™t know how to help with the hormonal imbalance( we tried every step we could find and itā€™s not working)
-her liver is a bit enlarged and now with the eggs even more
-she had metal poisoning which now is cured but she still has some small conglomerates which can be seen on the x ray that wonā€™t go away
-she had streptococcus halo Lori us which was just a small amount and it is cured now
-her poop was usually good and every problem started when she laid eggs; until then, everything was fine
-since the egg laying the poop just takes many forms every singe time: the solid part is usually bright green, light green or normal, either a lit slimey either solid either a bit watery with those small green particles inside, watery or not, white urine or green, white Urates and very rarely yellow

What could she possibly have at this point? We donā€™t even know what tests to perform anymore, we went too often to the vet and donā€™t want to stress her.

Thank you
Streptococcus galoliticus***

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Has she been tested for psittacosis? Watery & lime green poop are the classic signs.

OP
D

DanaDMG

Apr 21, 2023
Parrots
Has she been tested for psittacosis? Watery & lime green poop are the classic signs.
Yes she was and negative.
I was also considering pseudomonas aeruginosa but we just did swabs from crop, ear, nares and cloaca and we did not find anything.
I was also thinking that maybe those particles found in her poop could have something to do with the metal parts inside her?
Since her lead and zinc levels are now low, I see on her x ray that she has so little left. On her first x rays there were a lot.
They eliminate through poop, maybe this is what it is( just a guess but Iā€™m probably wrong).
Found a vet, we go on Wednesday, Iā€™m trying to keep her stable until then.

Attachments

• 677DEF40-E02B-4A11-9684-8C11A4D0E39F.png
    677DEF40-E02B-4A11-9684-8C11A4D0E39F.png
    189.8 KB · Views: 22

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I think I can find another doctor, itā€™s a bit tricky as we only have 1-2 avian vets in the country as far as I know and Iā€™ve already been to both.
We did a lot of tests and her blood work is pretty good, Iā€™m concerned that laying so many eggs has affected her liver very bad( she already had fatty liver) and maybe thatā€™s why it looks like this.
I will come back with an answer if I manage to find a doctor soon, but I do hope that someone around here might also help.
Thank you!

The liver connection should have been one of the first points the Vet would have looked at. Likely, so many eggs, may have her loose. Just a wide guess.

Most Reactions