rowdy

Jul 28, 2015
FL, USA
Parrots
Rowdy -Blue and Gold Macaw (I miss him :''''(, ?-10/18/15)
Luna- cockatiel (deceased:'()
Hi, so even tough I've done TONS of research on b&g macaws i cannot figure out what this is. This is only my 3rd day having him, he's 24, b&g, says ow and what and eats grapes, apples, melons, and nuts. He's been doing this for the past 2 days, like he makes this sneezing sound and moves his head up and down really fast like a spasm like how we do when we sneeze but he does this a bunch of times in a row. Sometimes he only does one set but sometimes he'll stop for a few seconds and do it again and repeated a few times. He does this a few times a day and sometimes he'll go down to the bottom of the cage and do it. Sometimes he gets all puffed up when he does it and sometimes he doesn't puff. I'll try to get a video of him doing it since i can't explain it very well. I'm really hoping it's noting needing veterinary care because he hasn't built up enough trust for me yet and he won't let me take him out of his cage at this time just yet. Please, any help or advise offered is greatly appreciated. (Posting pics/vids of him, he currently trusts me enough to let me pet him through the cage and he stands with one foot on my finger by his food bowl.) Please, any help is help :blue1::blue1::confused::confused:

Mimsy01

Jul 7, 2014
Parrots
GCC-Foofany
European Starling-Zeki
BCC-Ellie House Sparrow-Napolean Parakeet-Bean
Can you contact his old owner? Perhaps he is mimicking sneezing? My conure fake sneezes, cause I have allergies.

A video can probably help the experts on this board however.

OP
R

rowdy

Jul 28, 2015
FL, USA
Parrots
Can you contact his old owner? Perhaps he is mimicking sneezing? My conure fake sneezes, cause I have allergies.

A video can probably help the experts on this board however.

yeah, im gonna try to get a video now. His old owner is my friend, she isnt a bird person and only had him for a few months as she couldn't care for him. She bought him from someone as his owner he grew up with for 23 years passed away and her (the woman who passed away who owned the bird) husband had to sell him:blue1:

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Video would certainly be most helpful here. You can upload to YouTube and then include the link to it, and it will automatically embed into your reply. :)

As for pictures, please have a look at this: http://www.parrotforums.com/technical-support/6287-how-post-pictures.html

Many congrats on your new 'baby', by the way. :) May I recommend you get him to an avian vet to have his initial checkup, especially if he hasn't seen one in a while. That way you can find out if he's a healthy boy.

groovieguy

Sep 9, 2014
Spring Hill, FL
Parrots
Blue and Gold Macaw (RIO) 10mo
I'm going to take a gander at this one. My B&G will sneeze and bob her head and it had me worried what she was doing. So I finally really watched her and noticed she would have one of her toes in her nare/nose and would sneeze and bob her head right after that.
All I can think of she is picking her nose which causes her to sneeze. :)

OP
R

rowdy

Jul 28, 2015
FL, USA
Parrots
Video would certainly be most helpful here. You can upload to YouTube and then include the link to it, and it will automatically embed into your reply. :)

As for pictures, please have a look at this: http://www.parrotforums.com/technical-support/6287-how-post-pictures.html

Many congrats on your new 'baby', by the way. :) May I recommend you get him to an avian vet to have his initial checkup, especially if he hasn't seen one in a while. That way you can find out if he's a healthy boy.

[ame="https://youtu.be/1fsvd-z2rb4"]Rowdy - YouTube[/ame]

groovieguy

Sep 9, 2014
Spring Hill, FL
Parrots
Blue and Gold Macaw (RIO) 10mo
Nope not what my B&G does.
It almost sounds like a learned sneeze cuz it is so soft. Mine is real loud sneeze.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Beautiful bird!!

Hmm. Definitely not a 'natural' sneeze. My Niko (also a B&G) imitates my sneeze, but even that sounds completely different (sound like MY sneeze, LOL).

Your handsome boy is also going through the regurgitation motion. He looks to be pretty alert and quite friendly actually. :D

OP
R

rowdy

Jul 28, 2015
FL, USA
Parrots
Awe, Thank you, regurgitation is a good thing right? Meaning they love you and want to care for you? As soon as he let's me handle him I'm gonna take him to an avian vet for a check up. He's started talking in sentences so I think he starting to trust me and pick up what I'm saying (today he asked me "can I have a kiss?" Lol)

Most Reactions

Latest posts