So Aggressive......

Miabuddy

Oct 4, 2014
Hi, New here, so thank you for bringing me on board, I,m here because as probably many before me,I need a little help,maybe a lotta help, ....we will see.. but I,m positive minded so hoping I find some likeminded folk here.
I have today rescued a Female Eclectus from what I can only describe as a drug house, the former owner was an addict and unable to look after himself let alone this beautiful bird.
When I went to see her 3 days ago,he told me that his dog,a jack russell I think, had been terrorising her,quite how I,m not sure,I,m guessing barking at the cage,possibly lunging at it,I,m really not sure but he had to put the dog awayhile I looked at her.
He told me she was ok once out of f the cage but in it was aggressive and lunging.
This was immediately evident when I asked him to get her out.On came a large motorbike glove and a tentative move into the cage,at which she went straight for the glove. He did get on his arm,where she stayed and he shakily fed her some sunflower seeds. I offered her some seeds at which point she locked onto my finger like Staffordshire bull terrier,! (Something I’ve also experienced in another life,)finally retrieving my finger, he managed to put her back.,and told him I,d think about it.
I couldn’t stop.
So,when he got back to me, having dramatically dropped the price,not an issue for me,I would have paid double to get her out of there,I jumped on it,sped down there,and took her and the cage.
Ruby is now here with us,in a clean cage, with clean bowls,perches,and simply just chilling out.
He told me she was a Feb 2021 bird,so approx 13 months, that she was hand tame a month ago?!?, and that he’d not been near her in the cage in this time.
What to believe,I,m not sure.
I know she’s been mistreated somehow,wether it was the dog,the human, a combination,i,ll never know.
The thing is now to move on..and hopefully get her right.
I also have a Male eclectus who is 4 yrs old and totally tame in all respects.
The reason in getting Ruby was not as a companion although I,d like them to be friends,that wasn’t my reasoning in getting her, that was simply to get her out of the situation she was in.
I also keep a Budgies,so a pretty bird friendly environment for her,but as I,ve never really encountered this kind of aggression I,d appreciate some guidance.
I know there are probably countless threads relating to this but as I,m just signing on I thought it was a good opportunity to say hi, and open my account with something I ,m sure plenty of people have had to cope with.
I know it won’t be a quick fix but I have all the time in the world for this little lady and would love to hear from any one prepared to help.
Thank you.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Take your time is the best advice. GO at the parrots pace and not the pace of your expectations. A traumatized parrot is going to take awhile to even understand that you are not there to terrorize her. Lots of treats, every time you go past the cage. Talk to her in a soothing voice, use her name a lot. THis is going to take, in all likelyhood, weeks or months to see progress.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
thank you for saving this one!

Behavior and healing take time..read her and never out her a position that bites are all you will listen to.

As above hand feeding treats can't be underestimated as a way to start building postive associations and winning them over.

Read up on target training as a hands off way to enteract.

Ria.345

Banned
Banned
Jun 23, 2021
New York City
Parrots
Sun Conure and Umbrella Cockatoo
Hello, so sorry that your new eclectus was going through a rough time in her life, but good for you for taking on this bird and giving her a chance at unconditional and devoted love. Something she probably has never seen but is in for a treat in the long-term.
First thing I would do is make sure she adjusts properly to the new environment and this will take at least a week or two for her to take in.
Next as stated above, go at her pace and try not to rush things. Especially with a new bird, plus this bird having a lot of past trauma, plus the fact that there is not foundational relationship between the two of you yet, this all factors into the original problem of aggression and starts with simple trust building as your action plan for progress.
I also think that consistency plays a big role in this situation. Make sure you are consistent with a lot of your interactions and your routine.
Having a routine simply ensures that everything you do has a time and place and this allows the bird to be less stressed because overtime, it just clicks that "ok it's time for breakfast, or it's time for sleep, etc etc etc." Birds simply thrive on routine and like expecting things or knowing what's next.
And it's good to be consistent with interactions such as training or play time so the bird will overtime looks forward to it and it allows the bird to get enrichment. Consistency with interaction can be as simple as "Im walking by your cage, so I'm going to put a treat in your bowl". Positive association with you and again, just doesn't confuse the bird in the routine and something to look forward to.
Hope this helps! Good luck.

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Welcome! Remember, your little one has many triggers that will push her back into a dark place! So be open to the unexpected and learn as you two develop! As you discover triggers, slowly redirect reactions into a positive situation!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Deep respect for rescuing Ruby, welcome to the ParrotForums Family!! You've saved her from precarious fate, she no doubt carries tons of baggage! Time, love, patience, and judicious treats ought tame her worst instincts. Threads of potential interest: https://www.parrotforums.com/threads/tips-for-bonding-and-building-trust.49144/
If biting an issue: https://www.parrotforums.com/threads/bite-pressure-training.63988/

Good luck, please keep us updated!

OP
M

Miabuddy

Oct 4, 2014
Thank you everyone that replied with help advice and your friendship.
Ruby is settling really well now,has now found her voice which is a good thing I feel ,think she’s relaxing down well,and happy to talk and chirp and screeeech,lol She’s quite typical eclectus fem,and more nippy than our Male but I knew to expect that and accept as a part of her persona..
Eating well,loves her veg,which is a god send as they can be so fussy and picky over their diet,and all in all slowly settling in to life here with us.
Maybe the odd bump along the way but so far one of the better decisions in my life,and will never regret it.
Asa quick post note, ,Olly met Ruby,and I was astonished at their willingness to accept each other so quickly.Was on standby,just in case, but my fear of anything going a rye was totally misgiven.
They,ve been caged near each their and watching one an other for days,so when I let them both out,I was truly amazed at their friendliness towards one another,and now seem co Mpleacceting of one and other.I did feed them treats together at the time and I think this helped them see we were all part of the same flock!
Anyway so far so good....

OP
M

Miabuddy

Oct 4, 2014
C0511C2E-63FD-4247-B6DB-82F6CA8EC14F.jpeg

Icca

Feb 1, 2022
So sweet! They are both beautiful! Good for you for being brave enough to take her in with that sketchy background. There's lots of great advice here but I second the tip to start target training. I started clicker training almost as soon as I got my new fid. I still cannot handle or even touch her without her becoming very nervous. But she really enjoys the training and I can see it's building trust. She is learning that I won't surprise her or push her far to fast.

OP
M

Miabuddy

Oct 4, 2014
Thanks, yeah I might look at clicker training,if you,ve seen any good training sites,vids etc,please pass my way,I,ve never attempted it,I like just hanging with them and playing,they love music which is great as it’s my life and we generally have breakfast and then a dance session! Lol
One thing I never show tho is fear,I find Parrots a lot like dogs in their ability to try things on with you,and if you show fear or even nervousness they do pick up on it. I,m jo expert and would never profess to be but it is something I,ve noticed over time.

WingDing

Nov 13, 2017
Media
Texas
Parrots
Toby - RS Eclectus
Midori - Nanday Conure
I might look at clicker training,
No, no, no. Please don't "might look at licker training", just do it :) As has been said, it is the easiest and best communication pathway with a bird. I have a difficult eclectus, and target/clicker training has always bridged the gaps in communication and trust.

Best wishes for you and your flock!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Thanks, yeah I might look at clicker training,if you,ve seen any good training sites,vids etc,please pass my way,I,ve never attempted it,I like just hanging with them and playing,they love music which is great as it’s my life and we generally have breakfast and then a dance session! Lol
One thing I never show tho is fear,I find Parrots a lot like dogs in their ability to try things on with you,and if you show fear or even nervousness they do pick up on it. I,m jo expert and would never profess to be but it is something I,ve noticed over time.
I really like this one, shows taking time to actually just touch target, taking breaks, small failures, and just a great one I think

Icca

Feb 1, 2022
Check into Barbra Hindrick I think she has a Facebook page specifically for parrots and Karen Pryor she is excellent. She authored a book called "Don't shoot the dog" can't recommend that book enough!

OP
M

Miabuddy

Oct 4, 2014
Sorry, perhaps I did word that a bit Blaise,awesome video,thanks for sharing I, have ordered clicker and chopstick! Really really looking forward to getting hands on(pardon the pun) Hoping are bond willincrease dramatically with the his.

Most Reactions

Latest posts