So question for the community

Christian McCurry

Feb 5, 2023
Parrots
Had a gcc (green cheek conure)
Hey everyone I'm new to this community thought I'd give it a try. So I've been trying to figure out which bird species I would want and that would e best. Currently I am caught between. 3 Hahns macaw,ringneck,and a quaker.
Anyways please let ne know from anyone's experience which has most personality and loves cuddles?
Thanks šŸ˜Š

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Do you have any previous bird experience? I see in your profile it says youā€™ve owned a GCC! How did you feel about them?

From what I understand, Hahnā€™s macaws are the more friendly of the mini macaws. Iā€™ve been told to steer clear of severe macaws as they have a more unpredictable temperament and are suited for experienced owners. One of the guys who works at our local bird shop has one (a Hahnā€™s) and sheā€™s lovely. Not sure about cuddly though; she mostly seems to like to do her own thing and hang out while heā€™s working.

Lots of ringneck and Quaker folks here! You may find the info you want by checking out the species specific forums -

Cuddliness and personality tends to vary between birds and isnā€™t always species dependent, but I get the impression from reading about other folksā€™ birds that of those two (ringneck and Quaker), youā€™re more likely to find a cuddly Quaker.

Last edited:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
First, you need to clearly identify what you must have with parrot.
Second - and this one is the harder one, thoroughly understand that each parrot is its own bird, so to speak, and realize that no 2 prrots, even of the same species are going to be the same personality wise, temperament and abilities. Therefore its best to meet the parrot several times and spend some time with them. Parrots are much better then us at picking a compatible person.

With progressively larger parrot species, the one thing tht is assured when going larger is that the beak gets progressively larger and that the larger the beak , the more serious the possible bite might be!

So going back to your list of 3 species, study the common traits with them. If a talking parrot is one of your must haves, then these are not the best choices. Does that mean Hahn's macaw is not a good choice? No. But Hahn's macaws are not noted for being great talkers = I'm sure there are some that are, with the right training and termperament, but they are not famous for it, like some Greys or amazons are. Qakes and Indian Ringnecks are not well known for likeing cuddling and scratchies, but we have seen examples of thes eparrots to DO like it.

Bigger parrots do mean some 100% true things. Bigger parrots mean:
Larger amounts of food
Bigger and more sturdy toys and cages, which adds up over time
Generally higher vet bills
Any bites are generally more serious, larger and deeper. A bite from a conure is not going to be as serious as a bite from a Macaw
And of course cost to get them. Conures are around $500 USD and Hahn's are siggnifficantly more, Around $1500 USD, if not more, in the USA now.

OP
C

Christian McCurry

Feb 5, 2023
Parrots
Al
First, you need to clearly identify what you must have with parrot.
Second - and this one is the harder one, thoroughly understand that each parrot is its own bird, so to speak, and realize that no 2 prrots, even of the same species are going to be the same personality wise, temperament and abilities. Therefore its best to meet the parrot several times and spend some time with them. Parrots are much better then us at picking a compatible person.

With progressively larger parrot species, the one thing tht is assured when going larger is that the beak gets progressively larger and that the larger the beak , the more serious the possible bite might be!

So going back to your list of 3 species, study the common traits with them. If a talking parrot is one of your must haves, then these are not the best choices. Does that mean Hahn's macaw is not a good choice? No. But Hahn's macaws are not noted for being great talkers = I'm sure there are some that are, with the right training and termperament, but they are not famous for it, like some Greys or amazons are. Qakes and Indian Ringnecks are not well known for likeing cuddling and scratchies, but we have seen examples of thes eparrots to DO like it.

Bigger parrots do mean some 100% true things. Bigger parrots mean:
Larger amounts of food
Bigger and more sturdy toys and cages, which adds up over time
Generally higher vet bills
Any bites are generally more serious, larger and deeper. A bite from a conure is not going to be as serious as a bite from a Macaw
And of course cost to get them. Conures are around $500 USD and Hahn's are siggnifficantly more, Around $1500 USD, if not more, in the USA now.
Right I know as I've had a few birds and I'm qanting to get a slightly bigger which is why I was seeking information on those 3. Thanks for the clarification šŸ‘. So far from what I've been researching im more in favor of getting a ringneck. They are soo cute and beutiful and I've heard are quite sweet.

OP
C

Christian McCurry

Feb 5, 2023
Parrots
Yes
Do you have any previous bird experience? I see in your profile it says youā€™ve owned a GCC! How did you feel about them?

From what I understand, Hahnā€™s macaws are the more friendly of the mini macaws. Iā€™ve been told to steer clear of severe macaws as they have a more unpredictable temperament and are suited for experienced owners. One of the guys who works at our local bird shop has one (a Hahnā€™s) and sheā€™s lovely. Not sure about cuddly though; she mostly seems to like to do her own thing and hang out while heā€™s working.

Lots of ringneck and Quaker folks here! You may find the info you want by checking out the species specific forums -

Cuddliness and personality tends to vary between birds and isnā€™t always species dependent, but I get the impression from reading about other folksā€™ birds that of those two (ringneck and Quaker), youā€™re more likely to find a cuddly Quaker.
I do have experience not necessarily that much but I had a gcc for a long while she was older when I got her she had an accident while my mom was watching her. Rip marleeā¤
Anyways I've been looking for another bird since they are so much more fun and my style than a dog or cat. Btw on the macaw part yeah I was suprised to see that there is a small macaw species that is known to be friendly. Considering I've only had a conure I don't want to go too much Bigger. Though I have always wanted to get a ringneck they are such beauties and sweet. Thanks foe the info btw.
I understand I'm rather new to the world of birds so I'm open to advice from everyone.

Most Reactions

Latest posts