emeraldlilly

Mar 17, 2023
Parrots
I work at a pet store
I work at a pet store - letā€™s get past that, I have good intentions to take care of what comes my way.

My boss just brought in a pair of Linnies who are babies and very hand shy. She said they need work, and told me to pick them up and hold them against my chest to get them used to being handled.
Is this an appropriate way to show them that we mean no harm?

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Welcome to the forum!
I think it's wonderful that you want to be able to take care of all the animals before they go to their new homes! This will help to increase their chances of being kept in a happy home.

Are they somewhere in the store where it isn't crowded? The pet store here used to have all their babies in a room where people could only look through the window at them.
I think that suddenly being around a lot of people is going to make it harder to socialize them as they will be too scared of everything that's going on around them, at least in the beginning.

If you can take them to a quiet room, you could get them used to you by talking softly to them and then carefully putting your hand into their cage. Just let your hand lay there without touching them unless they touch you. How old are they? If they're weaned, figure out what treat they like the most. You can put it into your palm and let them come get the treats from you.

In your situation, I think that this may be the best way to socialize them, by letting them know that your hand is a good thing, it brings the treats. I don't think it will be a big leap once they realize that for them to start getting on your hand. I hope your boss will allow you to take the time that's needed to socialize them humanely.

I'm not a fan of forcing a bird to let me hold them, although I know many people do that. I think it's better to allow them to want to come to me.

Please let us know how they're doing!

OP
E

emeraldlilly

Mar 17, 2023
Parrots
I work at a pet store
Yeah, with the Linnies Iā€™m not so sure. They seem terrified.

This method seemed to work on the conure. He would bite if you put your hands in the cage but now he steps up and will ride my shoulder while I work. But they seem to react differently.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Perhaps they will calm down once they know that your hand isn't going to grab them? It may take awhile, but I hope that if this doesn't work that someone else will have a different idea.

OP
E

emeraldlilly

Mar 17, 2023
Parrots
I work at a pet store
I feel bad for trying to do things the way I was told. I was just watching a video on taming scared budgies and it made me realize that the bosses method is teaching them to just give up, and that they could get hurt from freaking out. Iā€™m going to have to take steps back to try to calm their fear of hands.

My only worry now is that if I do things the ā€œmore humaneā€ way I will have to convince the boss and get everyone else on board. I donā€™t know what the effect would be if multiple people are using a different approach

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
I hope you can convince your boss, and it would be nice if there were only two of you working with them using the same method at first. Forcing them can break their spirit and that's heartbreaking. I'm glad you found a video of it, perhaps you could show your boss?

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I work at a pet store - letā€™s get past that, I have good intentions to take care of what comes my way.

My boss just brought in a pair of Linnies who are babies and very hand shy. She said they need work, and told me to pick them up and hold them against my chest to get them used to being handled.
Is this an appropriate way to show them that we mean no harm?
Its okay to work at a pet store. They need people like you. I think it's much more important to get them to be 100% comfortable with hands. After they are very comfortable with hands you can graduate to faces. I'd fear getting my face nipped if they aren't hand tame yet.

OP
E

emeraldlilly

Mar 17, 2023
Parrots
I work at a pet store
Fortunately the Linnies nips donā€™t really hurt.
My boss has pretty much told me that my research is bull and wonā€™t listen.
The past few days has made me really upset with the attitude around the pet trade industry and I think I might start to move on.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Fortunately the Linnies nips donā€™t really hurt.
My boss has pretty much told me that my research is bull and wonā€™t listen.
The past few days has made me really upset with the attitude around the pet trade industry and I think I might start to move on.
He sounds like a "difficult person". Start putting out your feelers. Too bad, because his birds need you.

Most Reactions