Some on things wrong with my budgies leg please help

Jun 11, 2022
Parrots
2 Budgies and a Conure
Hoping to get a Macaw
I just found my budgie on the bottom of his cage, and when I tried lifting him up and putting him on a perch I noticed he was only using one leg, the other one was held back behind him. His vent was also covered in wet poop, (I cleaned it after I noticed). I know this isnā€™t normal but I donā€™t know what to do. His cage was pretty dirty and Iā€™m cleaning it right now, and he also lives with 3 other budgies (2 females and 1 male) in the same cage. Theyā€™re all fine. But it also appears to me that he has small ā€œbiteā€ marks on this injured foot and I donā€™t know if thatā€™s from the other budgies possibly biting him or an infection. Someone please answer, Iā€™m scared somethings really wrong.

Attachments

• AEDD0F44-0DE8-4EDF-959B-FB3BDA83F828.jpeg
    AEDD0F44-0DE8-4EDF-959B-FB3BDA83F828.jpeg
    190.6 KB · Views: 41
  • A626AF8E-8606-4101-BDAD-A9103AD906A7.jpeg
    A626AF8E-8606-4101-BDAD-A9103AD906A7.jpeg
    326.1 KB · Views: 40
  • 2D5F1623-5A6F-4FF6-8B69-5B2079A9AE0E.jpeg
    2D5F1623-5A6F-4FF6-8B69-5B2079A9AE0E.jpeg
    196.1 KB · Views: 41
  • F6C9F7AF-3643-4B54-AF66-0AF7B8A24641.jpeg
    F6C9F7AF-3643-4B54-AF66-0AF7B8A24641.jpeg
    163.3 KB · Views: 39

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I just found my budgie on the bottom of his cage, and when I tried lifting him up and putting him on a perch I noticed he was only using one leg, the other one was held back behind him. His vent was also covered in wet poop, (I cleaned it after I noticed). I know this isnā€™t normal but I donā€™t know what to do. His cage was pretty dirty and Iā€™m cleaning it right now, and he also lives with 3 other budgies (2 females and 1 male) in the same cage. Theyā€™re all fine. But it also appears to me that he has small ā€œbiteā€ marks on this injured foot and I donā€™t know if thatā€™s from the other budgies possibly biting him or an infection. Someone please answer, Iā€™m scared somethings really wrong.
Please take him to the vet, he has to be in pain and without a vet he may never get the use of his leg back.
If you have a bird carrier that you use for your birds, it's a good idea to go ahead and put him in it to keep him away from the other birds. If they are attacking him like this, he will also need a cage of his own to protect him when he gets better.

Sending healing wishes to your boy, please update us on how he's doing.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
HI there! Yup, a vet visit is in order here. Also (may just be the camera angle) it looks like he is missing a toe on the foot? Looks like he has only 3 on that foot. Parrots will often bite the toes and feet, when they are fighting or bullying.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
HI there! Yup, a vet visit is in order here. Also (may just be the camera angle) it looks like he is missing a toe on the foot? Looks like he has only 3 on that foot. Parrots will often bite the toes and feet, when they are fighting or bullying.
How sad! Your baby definitely needs to go to an avian vet ASAP! He may have a broken leg. Of my Budgies broke her femur (large upper leg bone) from a fall and after a month of isolation in a padded cage with very low perches it healed quite well. I notice his wings are trimmed which may have contributed to a fall.

Keet_Krazy

Feb 19, 2023
Parrots
Budgies:
Obsidian (M), Snowflake (F), Sunbeam (F), Emelia (F, English), Alinta (F, Bush), Mahlee (M, Bush), Moonstone (M)
Galah:
Quarter (Not DNA'd)
Other:
Quail and Chickens
I'd say that's a bite. During the fight he may have had more damage done to his leg, so yes I'd say vet. Also keep an eye on the rest of your budgies the culprit/s are still in a cage with other budgies, last thing you want is to deal with two injured birds.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Are the bite marks on the leg he's dragging or on the leg he's standing on? Please give us updates! We are concerned about your baby!

Most Reactions

Latest posts