Stepping Up Question

AMArenson

Aug 2, 2013
So Merlin has calmed down a lot in the last few weeks which is great.
My husband is able to get him to step up for short periods of time before he gets fussy and flys off and we have to chase him around to get him back in his cage. For some reason he will only step up on me with one foot, like holding my hand and keeping it there but he wont trust me to put his other foot up. Its weird hes not scared to use one foot, he is almost eager to do it but he wont fully step up even when i try to nudge his toes, pull his one foot up, or push my hand slightly back into him. Anyone had this happen to them? I worry he will form a stronger bond with my husband because he came from a breeder with only men raising him, I feed him and talk to him all the time and spend just as much time with him as my husband. Anything I can do to get him to trust me more?

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
What flavor bird is Merlin? While you can try to bribe him, our feathered friends will make up their own minds as to who they might prefer.....it sounds like you're doing all the right things though.....

If you don't have a steady hand or the bird perceives your hand as a less than solid perch, some birds will refuse to step up.....

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Have you looked into clicker training and positive reinforcement? It sounds like this would be a great option for you and Merlin! And you can even teach him to recall to you! (i.e. come on command)

Chasing him around can be counterproductive, because parrots are prey creatures, and chasing them can instill the fear that they are being chased by a predator.

Most Reactions

Latest posts