Stye or Injury or Infection?

BakedBeeBird

Oct 27, 2020
Allen, TX
Parrots
Two Cockatiels: Helios and Bunny

2 Greencheek Conures: Bastian and Rainbow Randolph (a.k.a. Baby, Baby Bee, Bee Bird, Baked Bee, Beasel, BeeWeasel). Bastian lives with my sister.
Hello all,

It looks like my green cheek has a stye. It's not inflamed or red or anything, but I came home from work today and noticed swelling near the top of his eye. It's very slight, but I know it wasn't like that earlier this morning.

Has anyone seen this before? Can conures get styes like people? Should I take him to a vet or just see if maybe it will resolve on its own? It doesn't look like he scratched himself or anything. But as a bird mom, I'm concerned.

I added photos. Sorry they are so close-up. I had to crop them to get them small enough to post. You can see a clear difference between the round eye and the one with a dip at the top.

Thank you!!

Alyssa

26298d1625546175-stye-injury-infection-20210705_233519.jpg

26299d1625546187-stye-injury-infection-20210705_233547.jpg

Attachments

• 20210705_233519.jpg
    20210705_233519.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 128
  • 20210705_233547.jpg
    20210705_233547.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 138
Last edited by a moderator:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I see a clear difference but not sure the cause. Are these images of same eye over time or opposites? Hopefully other members can offer guidance, but veterinary assessment is best when observing eye issues.

OP
B

BakedBeeBird

Oct 27, 2020
Allen, TX
Parrots

2 Greencheek Conures: Bastian and Rainbow Randolph (a.k.a. Baby, Baby Bee, Bee Bird, Baked Bee, Beasel, BeeWeasel). Bastian lives with my sister.
I see a clear difference but not sure the cause. Are these images of same eye over time or opposites? Hopefully other members can offer guidance, but veterinary assessment is best when observing eye issues.

They are opposites. I took them about 20 minutes ago.

I appreciate the advice. I will likely end up taking him to my avian vet. She is brilliant. I just wanted to see if anyone else has had experience with something like this. If it's benign, I'd rather save the vet bill, but to be honest I am a nervous wreck every time he sneezes lol, and the vet is always inevitable. I just love him so much and I almost lost him once, so I'm jumpy.

Anyway, thank you!

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
I think a hands-on assessment at the vet is the way to go here too, eyes are so delicate. My Lilly had some weird bruising on a lower eyelid a while ago which I had no idea how it came about - I swear that bird WILL be the death of me! Much like you, I was rather unnerved by it, even though she showed zero outward sign of discomfort or distress. Examination at the vet revealed a mild trauma to the eyelid and she was prescribed an anti-inflammatory pain medication and was right as rain in a few days. It was well worth the visit to ensure it was nothing too serious and put my mind at ease. Hoping for a similar outcome for your baby, please keep us updated won't you?

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
It could be some sort of feather cyst or stye, but I would get it checked either way (as you are doing) because, like others have said, eyes are sensitive and you will just be wondering etc if you don't get it checked--IMO, well-worth the peace of mind (although it's a shame it always costs money lol/ugh- the things we do for our babies). It's good you are being so vigilant because sometimes little cues are the only ones you get, and that will serve you well long-term.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

Completely understand your deep love, anxiety, and reasonable stance on observation before triggering vet visit. Perhaps your vet allows image submission to perform basic triage via remote consultation?

OP
B

BakedBeeBird

Oct 27, 2020
Allen, TX
Parrots

Thank you all for your advice! I wanted to thank each of you for your posts, but after thanking the first person, I've forgotten how to. If someone could fill me in on what to do, that would be excellent!

I took Baby Bee to the vet and she said that it doesn't appear to be an injury or a cyst. She said it may be a birth defect that he has always had or the result of an old injury that I just didn't notice. It's not swollen or red or infected, and she said I should keep an eye on it just in case and note if he starts scratching at it, but she doesn't think it's harmful.

I can't tell you enough what a relief that is to me! I never knew what an impact he would have on me when I got him. I didn't even really like him because he had such a different personality from my sister's bird (Bastian). But now, I don't know what I would do without him. I love the little bugger.

Anyway, thank you all again!

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Oh what excellent news, I'm so pleased your sweet little Baby Bee has checked out fine. Good for you for being so vigilant, he is clearly in very caring hands. Thanks so much for updating, I'm very happy for you! :)

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

Wonderful news, if only more potential health issues had happy diagnoses!

You can "thank" members by clicking the "THANKS" button at extreme lower right corner of post box. Or you can personalize by quoting all or a portion of their post and responding affirmatively as you did in post #3.

Most Reactions