Suggestions for additions to my "play gym"?

MomtoPercy

Nov 15, 2013
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Percy, a 5yo BFA & Jack, a 8yo Budgie
I'm planning a 'proper' playgym when funds allow but in the meantime, I've bought a pine clothes horse (idea seen online) and added some goodies I made. Percy seems very keen on it (after he got over his suspicions LOL).
I am still going to add more 'laddery' things to help him get to the various rungs but I was wondering what you could suggest as further additions?

Attachments

• IMG-20131202-00295.jpg
    IMG-20131202-00295.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 2,736

ParkersMom

Jan 18, 2013
Nashville TN
Parrots
Parker male BF Amazon hatched 5/2/2012
Charlie unsexed BF Amazon hatched 1994?
Juno Female BH Caique Hatched 6-3-2013
I don't know if you can get them where you live but Parker loves his rope boing...he will play on it for hours...I have his Play gym hanging from the ceiling in the living room
parkersmom-albums-parker-picture10249-parker-s-play-gym.jpg

I used long chains and pvc pipe to keep him form getting to the ceiling and chewing it

OP
MomtoPercy

MomtoPercy

Nov 15, 2013
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Oooh, great idea! I can get boings here (a bit pricey but not impossible) and attach one to the ceiling above his gym.

Kimma

Oct 11, 2013
Gold Coast, Australia
Parrots
Flash - DF violet Indian Ringneck. Crash - lutino Indian Ringneck
I don't know if you can get them where you live but Parker loves his rope boing...he will play on it for hours...I have his Play gym hanging from the ceiling in the living room
I used long chains and pvc pipe to keep him form getting to the ceiling and chewing it

That PVC pipe is a great tip. I plan to have a hanging playgym and was just going to use chain. I didn't even consider that they'd climb up it. I'm such a noob. :)

strudel

Sep 30, 2013
Media
Something for foraging? (or don't you want him making a mess when he's there?). Some natural branches?

Blueridge

Sep 16, 2013
North Carolina
Parrots
Rocky - Yellow-Faced Quaker Parrot
WOW that's a great idea! I actually have one of those things and don't use it, I'm definitely gonna try to make it into a play gym now!

I use a CD case as my bird's play gym and I put Rocky on the bottom and I place treats on each one of the rungs, and then he climbs up to get all the treats! He has a blast! Maybe you could figure out how to hide little treats on yours so he can climb around looking for them. It keeps them busy and it's great exercise too!

blueridge-albums-random-pictures-picture10121-parrot-playground.jpg

Good luck and thanks for the idea !
:jumping40:

Last edited:
OP
MomtoPercy

MomtoPercy

Nov 15, 2013
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Great idea, guys! My boy loooves foraging (actually he just loves eating but he's willing to work for it LOL). Mess is not a problem because my state of the art playgym ;) has a custom 'mess catcher tray' (heavy duty cardboard cut to fit and covered in plastic on the bottom level. I've only fitted out the top three levels because I don't want him to go all the way down incase he runs into the puppy while my back is turned. Although the puppy has gotten the message and stays clear of Percy, I can't discount the fact that he's a naughty, rambunctious little tyke and accidents happen in an instant.

Thanks for the positive comments - I was hesitant to post a pic of my cheapo play gym but now I don't feel quite so embarrassed anymore :). I can't afford all the materials to build him a proper fancy gym right now but I don't think he noticed it is just a clothes horse!

strudel

Sep 30, 2013
Media
I think it is a proper fancy gym. He's got three levels - you don't get that with the single level crappy ones from the shop! It's better than some of the ones I've seen for sale.

OP
MomtoPercy

MomtoPercy

Nov 15, 2013
Media
South Africa
Parrots
I think it is a proper fancy gym. He's got three levels - you don't get that with the single level crappy ones from the shop! It's better than some of the ones I've seen for sale.

Thanks Strudel! I appreciate that. :eek:

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Wow, I love that! I am definitely going to find one of those and do the same for my guys. i have 3 different style playstands and only 1 that the birds like at all, but I think they will love this! Thank you for sharing such a creative idea for those of us who aren't creatively inclined!

OP
MomtoPercy

MomtoPercy

Nov 15, 2013
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Wow, I love that! I am definitely going to find one of those and do the same for my guys. i have 3 different style playstands and only 1 that the birds like at all, but I think they will love this! Thank you for sharing such a creative idea for those of us who aren't creatively inclined!

You're very welcome. :p However, like I mentioned in the start of the thread, I saw the idea online somewhere, it is not my own original idea ;)

Most Reactions

Latest posts