Sun Conure's Eating Habits

jamerson0199

Mar 7, 2013
Johnson City, TN
Parrots
Sun Conure
I have a 3 month old Sun Conure and I have had it, will hopefully know the gender next week, for a week. I bought it from a breeder and I do not think she offered it anything other than pellets. The reason being is that I am having trouble getting it to eat fruits & veggies. I offer them early in the morning and it will pick at the food but not really eat it. When I put the pellets back in, it will gorge itself. Do I just need to be more patient and give it more time? I just want my bird to be its healthiest and it worries me that it will not eat anything other than pellets.

Peeko

Dec 12, 2012
I cant speak for sun conures, but my green cheek has been with me since December and just today tried a fresh fruit and veggie for the first time. Until now, he would only eat dried fruit (along with pellets and such of course). I got some juice from a strawberry on my finger and let him lick it, and repeated this several times with him watching me get the juice by rubbing the strawberry. He made the connection and sampled the strawberry a little, then within a few minutes was gorging. So later on today I soaked a string bean in strawberry juice to make the taste more appealing, and he ate that too. I'm not sure if this will help too much, but it worked for Peeko!

Most Reactions