Sun time and what I’ve noticed from it

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur mom’s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
So, i have been taking Rico outside into the sun for a couple weeks now, letting him hang out there in a travel cage for an hour. Well, with the arrival of cricket, she’s been coming out in her cage to sit next to him. With Rico, I have been noticing that his feathers are shinier, he seems happier, he looks a lot better, and his dark cape and wings have lightened just a bit. He is a lot more energetic too haha but I have NEVER seen his feathers as shiny as they are now. I have collected some photos for you all, so, enjoy!

537922C8-33E6-40B3-A467-6641126F0635.jpeg
082C05EE-7134-4F0E-971F-5504F2056859.jpeg
89F11853-F7CA-4E91-B4BD-3253AEF6B75B.jpeg
9722B6D3-30E9-4515-A28A-E6E0971EA8F9.jpeg
A4B088A5-8816-4E16-A5D1-B7E5C07CBA23.jpeg
1BF5B6C5-8E7B-4665-BA9D-17E9A935B5F3.jpeg
4B180CAA-7D40-42B0-8F2E-13228400BA57.jpeg
3150694E-BE0C-47EB-B114-0025FA68F3DD.jpeg
6F99014E-CD81-4D8C-9BE6-4DCCB1E3E807.jpeg

Not many photos since my phone battery is usually too low but at least I have some!

E105D148-D9AF-4F39-B379-F7206FDA1363.jpeg

December vs Now
4C699461-47C9-4D00-970A-5D4FAC3C2F15.jpeg

I am a firm believer in borbs getting sunshine as often as they can

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
So, i have been taking Rico outside into the sun for a couple weeks now, letting him hang out there in a travel cage for an hour. Well, with the arrival of cricket, she’s been coming out in her cage to sit next to him. With Rico, I have been noticing that his feathers are shinier, he seems happier, he looks a lot better, and his dark cape and wings have lightened just a bit. He is a lot more energetic too haha but I have NEVER seen his feathers as shiny as they are now. I have collected some photos for you all, so, enjoy!

View attachment 51422View attachment 51423View attachment 51426View attachment 51425View attachment 51424View attachment 51427View attachment 51428View attachment 51430View attachment 51429
Not many photos since my phone battery is usually too low but at least I have some!

View attachment 51432
December vs NowView attachment 51431

I am a firm believer in borbs getting sunshine as often as they can
What happened to all the snow?

Greenhouseparrots

Nov 27, 2022
UK
Parrots
Crimson bellied conure- Tequila
Greencheek conure- Sierra
Pearled cockatiel- Malibu
Cockatiel- Volkan
Yellow budgies- Pina Colada and Houdini
Blue budgie- Lightning
White and blue budgie- Ciroc
The sun is so good for them! I notice a big improvement in my flocks feathers and mood in the spring when they're able to go outside again after spending the winter indoors.

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur mom’s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
What happened to all the snow?
It pretty much melted away in I wanna say mid May? I think? Around that one though, although some of my neighbors STILL have a few ice nuggets just melting in the shade! We have none on our property thank god lol

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur mom’s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Your days must be getting really long up in Alaska. What time are sunrise and sunset now?
Very long! We only get maybe an hour or two of “darkness” (like, you can still see pretty far but it’s the darkest point in the night) but pretty much there’s light from 3 AM to 1 or 2 AM the next day. It’s insane.

It is also hard to keep track of time when there’s often times clouds and you can’t see the sun. because if you can’t see the sun, then you constantly have to look at your phone to keep track of time.

But, I can step outside at night and not be terrified that a moose will be lurking in the shadows. There are also no moose around in my area, however there are incompetent neighbors with big dogs who get out that can be a HUGE problem. Because of something like that, I’m actually quite terrified of big dogs and I don’t really trust them.

I can also have numerous native berries that are safe to eat, grow on our property! Watermelon berries, raspberries, highbush cranberries, bunchberries, pumpkin berries, rose hips (ik, not a berry), and we have our non-native crabapple trees!

i can also not have to worry about people lurking in the shadows, as odd as that may sound. It’s nice not having to live in constant paranoia of dogs, moose, people, or anything that could be staring at me from the darkness of the night, and I’d never see it until it’s a few feet ahead of me. Now, I can see pretty far and not be blinded by the pitch black darkness of the winter nights, constantly be deafened by the raging winds, and worry about the creatures of the night. I do miss the borealises though.

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur mom’s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
The sun is so good for them! I notice a big improvement in my flocks feathers and mood in the spring when they're able to go outside again after spending the winter indoors.
What did you notice about their feathers and behavior? Were they more rambunctious?

Greenhouseparrots

Nov 27, 2022
UK
Parrots
Crimson bellied conure- Tequila
Greencheek conure- Sierra
Pearled cockatiel- Malibu
Cockatiel- Volkan
Yellow budgies- Pina Colada and Houdini
Blue budgie- Lightning
White and blue budgie- Ciroc
What did you notice about their feathers and behavior? Were they more rambunctious?
Their feathers seem a lot more vibrant! I especially saw it in my rescued birds after their first moult with me, though that could be down to diet. My cockatiels especially have very bright yellow feathers, including my female one and they usually have duller feathers. I've noticed it this year especially as they've been able to go outside pretty much everyday due to my shift pattern.

As far as behaviour, it seems to make them a lot calmer indoors as being outside really tires them out. I'm sure the sun must have some kind of benefit to their vitamin D levels, as well as their hormones, like it does for us, and they generally seem happier when they're able to be outside. It may be because of the aviary and having access to different toys, sights and sounds as well, as that can definitely help their mood as well

Most Reactions

Latest posts