Superb/Barraband parrot help!

Milkteeth

Nov 17, 2021
New England
Parrots
Pineapple greencheek
Hi all!! So… I stumbled into 2 superb parrots today! A kind customer from my work invited me and another coworker over- she has to move soon, and is slowly rehoming her birds to make this easier. When I came in and began speaking to her, she immediately showed me her two Barrabands, and was telling me what a good fit I would be. The birds don’t get handled, and the woman was very kind and passionate, but there were definitely some flaws in their care, and I agreed to rehome them. I’ve read up on them a bit, but I’m running into a few issues-
1.) what is the ideal diet and ratio for these guys? I’m currently giving them some of the same chop as my conure, pellets, and a small amount of seed mix. They were previously receiving a bird seed mix from Walmart.
2.) they were rehomed to me as a bonded male and female pair. Will this make bonding with them and handling them more difficult? Should I be wary of anything during breeding season, such as hormones or diet?
They just came home to me today, and are settling in. I’m already looking at cages and toys for them, but I figured I’d ask on here so I can make a shopping list.
and, of course, here’s a picture of the beauties! Johnny and Frankie are their current names.
A5C3F132-6EFD-470F-9413-BE324DB0171F.jpeg

they’re in a cramped cage right now that needs a good bath, as do the perches. The toy in the picture is the only one they have right now :( I’m excited to spoil them- she told me they were good β€œhanging out” birds and are happy to exist in the same space as their person, which is what I always lean towards in animals (aside from my little Velcro GCC), but I’m hoping I can socialize them and get them hand friendly; I do know that this may be a problem as it can be difficult for bonded birds to seek out human affection, but I’m fine with that as well! I like a challenge, so we’ll see.
If anyone has any other advice on these babies, I am all ears!

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
1.) Guessing the same as your conures, no need to change it. I don't have experience with these guys though.
2.) Um, it shouldn't make bonding and taming much more difficult. Separate them immediately if you notice they start breeding.
Congrats on the new birds!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I honestly cant remember ever seeing Superb parrots on this board, but they re well named! Cute too. I should think that your GCC's diet will be fine for them. You know the drill as far as acclimating and bonding, go slow, at their pace, expect lots of back sliding and disappointments. I'd get started figuring out their favorite treat and use that as your ambassador to getting to know them.

Jobaby

Jul 4, 2022
New York
Parrots
Indian ringneck
Superb Parrot (Barraband Parakeet)
Hi all!! So… I stumbled into 2 superb parrots today! A kind customer from my work invited me and another coworker over- she has to move soon, and is slowly rehoming her birds to make this easier. When I came in and began speaking to her, she immediately showed me her two Barrabands, and was telling me what a good fit I would be. The birds don’t get handled, and the woman was very kind and passionate, but there were definitely some flaws in their care, and I agreed to rehome them. I’ve read up on them a bit, but I’m running into a few issues-
1.) what is the ideal diet and ratio for these guys? I’m currently giving them some of the same chop as my conure, pellets, and a small amount of seed mix. They were previously receiving a bird seed mix from Walmart.
2.) they were rehomed to me as a bonded male and female pair. Will this make bonding with them and handling them more difficult? Should I be wary of anything during breeding season, such as hormones or diet?
They just came home to me today, and are settling in. I’m already looking at cages and toys for them, but I figured I’d ask on here so I can make a shopping list.
and, of course, here’s a picture of the beauties! Johnny and Frankie are their current names.
View attachment 34515
they’re in a cramped cage right now that needs a good bath, as do the perches. The toy in the picture is the only one they have right now :( I’m excited to spoil them- she told me they were good β€œhanging out” birds and are happy to exist in the same space as their person, which is what I always lean towards in animals (aside from my little Velcro GCC), but I’m hoping I can socialize them and get them hand friendly; I do know that this may be a problem as it can be difficult for bonded birds to seek out human affection, but I’m fine with that as well! I like a challenge, so we’ll see.
If anyone has any other advice on these babies, I am all ears!
Hi, I just got a male Superb. I was wondering if you have had any luck taming your Superbs. My Superb was hatched 6/5/22 and I got him on 8/18/22. He is very scared (I think) or he is a drama king. He makes a lot of noise for a little bird. If I go near the cage he starts screaming. He was in an aviary with a couple hundred birds.

I was wondering if you were successful in taming yours and if you had any tips for me? This guy is young, I figured it shouldn't take long but I am not sure how to go about it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

RingneckRave

Aug 16, 2023
NSW, Australia
Parrots
Bluey - Indian ringneck
Sunny - Indian ringneck

Conny - Sun Conure (my sister's bird)
Soon to own a second sun conure
Randomly stumbling upon this now, I know this is a late response and you have probably already figured everything out regardless but I'd like to still have a say regardless!

1. As far as I'm aware, the diet is pretty much the same as your conure
2. Not necessarily, but for bonded birds I would recommend picking a bird to try to tame first with a chance of the other tagging along to see what their flockmate is doing.
You might even be suggested to separate them if they start trying to breed, but I do beg you ignore this advice. Separating mate bonded birds is extremely traumatic for them. Preventing eggs from hatching is very easy as you only have to boil or freeze them before the chick starts to form, return them and wait until the birds stop showing interest before removing them.

I am interested in an update of how these birds are doing now. I'm interested in superb parrots as pets so I'd love for you to tell me your experiences with these birds, their behaviour, body language, ect. You write up a whole essay to talk about this species if you really wanted to and I'd happily read it!

Most Reactions

Latest posts