Syd the scoundrel!

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Sydney (Syd) Hatched 2/2017
Ok he's no longer a baby and apart from the pubescent biting attacks when I took cover with a woolly hat, gloves and long sleeves we have muddled along pretty well on the whole. Until the last week or two.
I think I am seeing a slight change in the dynamic. Gradually he has become more demanding and a little less compliant. He has always more often than not enjoyed a cuddle but just lately he is avoiding my hands. He'll happily step up on a piece of perch and he'll always accept a sunflower seed with impeccable manners. He will chat happily with our usual word games but there is something not quite the same.

Suddenly my hands have become a target. He doesn't bite hard, far from drawing blood, but enough to make me uncomfortable. I guess we have a bit of a love hate relationship just now.

I thought I could treat him with a seed mix while training him to offer his feet to me. Goodness he went ballistic. Sight of the seeds sent him into an ecstatic rage. Wings spread, beak open he resembled a vulture on the attack! I was very relieved that he is as small as he is! I put them away and luckily he seems to have forgotten them. Because the seeds are small I reasoned that we could discuss his feet in particular his claws while he 'enjoyed' the small treats. Wrong!! Oh well back to the drawing board, but there has had to be a confirmation of the house rules until he remembers who owns the property here! He's very lucky that I still love him!! :love:

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Ok he's no longer a baby and apart from the pubescent biting attacks when I took cover with a woolly hat, gloves and long sleeves we have muddled along pretty well on the whole. Until the last week or two.
I think I am seeing a slight change in the dynamic. Gradually he has become more demanding and a little less compliant. He has always more often than not enjoyed a cuddle but just lately he is avoiding my hands. He'll happily step up on a piece of perch and he'll always accept a sunflower seed with impeccable manners. He will chat happily with our usual word games but there is something not quite the same.

Suddenly my hands have become a target. He doesn't bite hard, far from drawing blood, but enough to make me uncomfortable. I guess we have a bit of a love hate relationship just now.

I thought I could treat him with a seed mix while training him to offer his feet to me. Goodness he went ballistic. Sight of the seeds sent him into an ecstatic rage. Wings spread, beak open he resembled a vulture on the attack! I was very relieved that he is as small as he is! I put them away and luckily he seems to have forgotten them. Because the seeds are small I reasoned that we could discuss his feet in particular his claws while he 'enjoyed' the small treats. Wrong!! Oh well back to the drawing board, but there has had to be a confirmation of the house rules until he remembers who owns the property here! He's very lucky that I still love him!! :love:
Dare one suggest that Syd knows full well who "owns" the property, and that it ain't you? Lucky for YOU he doesn't punish your audacity for even contemplating otherwise!!

OP
T00tsyd

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Sydney (Syd) Hatched 2/2017
LOL that is something still under some 'discussion'. His dislike of my hands does not extend to his demand for my attention to his pin feathers. He does seem to be having a particularly difficult moult this year, constantly covering me and surfaces with his 'dandruff'.
He demands I attend to him and then attacks me if I don't comply immediately. :ROFLMAO: He has something to learn in terms of mutual relationships!

Most Reactions

Latest posts