Sydney had a bad day:(

fishstick600

Dec 8, 2012
So had a nice day planned for sydnet. Bath follwed by fun with the blow drier then play time and catching up with preening..buuut that was inturrupted my sydney falling on a tile floor and breaking his beak :(

I was scared to death..he was bleeding pretty good so I called my vet as soon as it happened and rushed him over. Luckily the bleeding stopped and the vet said he looked to be alright. He gave me a few silver nitrate sticks in case I ever need them. On a side not he said he was very healthy

Right now he is resting and prob getting over a very stress event. I hope he doesn't get scared of baths now

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
Im so glad things went ok [that must have been scary ?} Im going to have to get some stuff to be prepared for that. [Ive seen more and more posts where this happend to others]

Jtbirds

Banned
Banned
Mar 6, 2013
Pennsylvania
Had the same incident recently with my harlequin macaw but the blood flow was way to good and it was late at night and no vets open so I had to cauterize the beak.... So sorry it happened to you, and I must say I've heard blow dryers to not be so good for the birds you may want to look into that:).

OP
fishstick600

fishstick600

Dec 8, 2012
Oh yeah I was really worried on the drive over. He swallowed a decent amount of blood and regurgitated he breakfast. I haven't heard that about blow driers ill look into it

MagegrayWolf

May 3, 2013
Parrots
Sun Conure (Dunkin)
grey cockatiel (Nalo)
Something I've found that seems to help with beak health is egg and sesame seeds. They contain something that improves beak health. My conure will often get a cracked looking beak (common with sun conures) If I feed him egg and/or sesame seeds it will usually clear up in a couple of weeks. Maybe a little of that will help during recovery. Also egg being nice and soft might be easier to eat with a broken beak.

ShellyBorg

Apr 8, 2013
Redding, CA
Parrots
TAG Spirit,RLA Danny,Senegal Damon, Parrotlet Opal, B&G Paris
Some blow dryers have a Teflon like coating in them, not to mention plastics that give off fumes when supper heated. I can no use them as they cause bad head aches.

OP
fishstick600

fishstick600

Dec 8, 2012
Just an update if anyone cares lol
Sydney is doing Just fine now..he was back to normal the next day and eating fine. I was worried he wouldn't want to eat but seems like he's eating well

SolarCat

May 6, 2013
PA USA
Parrots
Sunshine (Pineapple Green Cheek Conure)
I'm so glad that Sydney is doing much better! That must have been quite a scare!

Most Reactions

Latest posts