Syd's Weird!

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Sydney (Syd) Hatched 2/2017
Ok do I have a rogue in the house or do others experience the same? Like most households I guess things are left lying around but now I am having to be careful with anything that has small buttons. For example the TV remotes, my telephone handsets, even the computer mouse with the little scroll wheel. Why? Because when Syd spies them he regurgitates on the buttons or directly on the scroll wheel. If I don't notice I am greeted with dried parrot food coated around several buttons and end up with an old knife scraping each one clean and then using a damp cloth for the residue.

He's a lovely chap in many ways but this is disgusting! He says sorry very prettily when I tell him it's not acceptable behaviour but that hasn't changed it. Is he just a rogue or is this normal? I have quite enough to do without this!

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Ok do I have a rogue in the house or do others experience the same? Like most households I guess things are left lying around but now I am having to be careful with anything that has small buttons. For example the TV remotes, my telephone handsets, even the computer mouse with the little scroll wheel. Why? Because when Syd spies them he regurgitates on the buttons or directly on the scroll wheel. If I don't notice I am greeted with dried parrot food coated around several buttons and end up with an old knife scraping each one clean and then using a damp cloth for the residue.

He's a lovely chap in many ways but this is disgusting! He says sorry very prettily when I tell him it's not acceptable behaviour but that hasn't changed it. Is he just a rogue or is this normal? I have quite enough to do without this!
Oh Syd, you hopeless romantic you!! Looking for love in all the wrong places, it seems!

My two cockatiels have recently taken to chewing on the wire between my laptop and it's mouse (I hate wireless mice, the battery always runs out at the worst possible moment!) and God help me and them if I leave the room without covering the whole thing up with a towel or a blanket. They are both all of a sudden very single minded about it for some reason, and seem to do it quite deliberately the moment my back is turned too. Actually I think I would prefer a bit of regurge to that, quite frankly, and they never say they're sorry if I catch them at it either! :rolleyes:

OP
T00tsyd

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
He is also besotted with a top branch on the top of his cage and uses the end of it quite inappropriately far too often. He's shameless and evidently in need of a proper girlfriend. Sorry Syd it just isn't happening! o_O

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Tell him he will go blind if he doesnā€™t stopā€¦thatā€™ll work. I think the best thing to do is ignore it or limit hours of daylight if the bird is being more moody or aggressive.

If my bird ā€˜rubsā€™ in from of anyone who doesnā€™t understand I tell them heā€™s ā€œitchyā€. It must be confusing.

OP
T00tsyd

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Tell him he will go blind if he doesnā€™t stopā€¦thatā€™ll work. I think the best thing to do is ignore it or limit hours of daylight if the bird is being more moody or aggressive.

If my bird ā€˜rubsā€™ in from of anyone who doesnā€™t understand I tell them heā€™s ā€œitchyā€. It must be confusing.
I do mostly ignore him but at present we only have daylight (if you can call it that - it's been so dismal lately) from 8am to about 4.30pm. He's in bed for 12 hours - much more and he won't be up at all. :ROFLMAO: I have even cut his fruit - no difference.

Most Reactions