Taming and Avoiding Cage Agression

Flipgirl24

Nov 11, 2021
I am not sure if the title is saying exactly what I am trying to ask. It is taking a while to bond with my 15 week old parrotlet. I am taking it slow; sometimes, he will be okay taking a treat from my hand and other times not. I am hoping that eventually, he will step up onto mu finger and I can take him out of his cage and train him.

My friend told me to get him out of the cage asap because then he will start getting territorial in his cage. She said to keep the door to the room closed and leave the cage door open so he can fly around and be comfortable outside of the cage. While I do want him to be comfortable outside of his cage, I want to be able to get him to step up onto my finger and take him out as opposed to grabbing him or just leaving the door open and hoping to be able to get him back in the cage.

My question is, because it is taking longer to bond with him, is there a time frame within which I will lose the battle and he will become territorial in his cage? How do I know it is ok to take him out of the cage? And how do I keep him on me instead of him flying around in fear? And how do I get him back in the cage?

Sorry for the multitude of questions. I just don't want to do wrong by this little guy.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Emeral

Sep 16, 2021
Parrots
Hanhs Macaw
I am not sure if the title is saying exactly what I am trying to ask. It is taking a while to bond with my 15 week old parrotlet. I am taking it slow; sometimes, he will be okay taking a treat from my hand and other times not. I am hoping that eventually, he will step up onto mu finger and I can take him out of his cage and train him.

My friend told me to get him out of the cage asap because then he will start getting territorial in his cage. She said to keep the door to the room closed and leave the cage door open so he can fly around and be comfortable outside of the cage. While I do want him to be comfortable outside of his cage, I want to be able to get him to step up onto my finger and take him out as opposed to grabbing him or just leaving the door open and hoping to be able to get him back in the cage.

My question is, because it is taking longer to bond with him, is there a time frame within which I will lose the battle and he will become territorial in his cage? How do I know it is ok to take him out of the cage? And how do I keep him on me instead of him flying around in fear? And how do I get him back in the cage?

Sorry for the multitude of questions. I just don't want to do wrong by this little guy.

Thank you in advance for your help!
Big wing hugs and warm welcome to you!
We are happy that you are here.
And the more questions the better, the more information on your bird the better.

15 weeks parrotlet,
a weaned baby,
Who is not hand raised?
How does he react to your hand when you place it near him? Without treat?

Good training time is when he is most alert. That is morning and before sunset. It's also when he is most hungry. So treat would be more appreciated.

With time to build trust, you will eventually bond with him. So using simple commands and step up onto your finger
Will be fun to do together.

But first thing first,
Here's what I would do....
.....follow his pace, let him settle down
.....talk to him calmly, sing, whistle
.....say routine short words repeatedly to get him to familiarize to you. And later, to understand you.
eg.
It's all right
Good morning
Good night
Yummy (as you take your meal)
(A breakthrough clue is if he start eating when he see you eat. You are a friend. And can proceed to simple commands like
......1 stick training and 2 step up to a perch 3 step up on yourfinger (in order of difficulty)
....call his name often
....keep him in a small cage with at least one side to a wall or a corner where he feels safe but can observe you.
....eat where he can see you

This is for the beginning until he eat when you eat. (Some younger birds takes a few days, stubborn older birds takes months)
Then move his cage to where you do your things, in the middle of the room, to be closer to you.

I keep 2 cages for my Emerald,
one small for sleeping
....placed in the most remote, quiet dark corner
....I call Good night, and she will fly to stand on top of this cage
....also work as a temporary cage when Emerald want to be with us but keep sticking her beak into everything we are doing, as this cage is light and mobile

and another one large cage for playing in .....placed in the most active area, where she can observe all activities closely.
......and though, she fly freely in this bird proof room, her cage is where she go back to when thirsty or hungry or taking a nap

If you let your bird out to excercise, you may not want to grab him. Fear can set back all the trust you have cultivated.
Instead, wait for him to get thirsty, hunger will lead him back to his cage.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Aww you will get there.
For myself I never make step up the only way they get out.

Instead I focus on bonding and having them out with me and let step up happen more naturally. But there are lots of ways people do this, so it what works with for you. I get a comfy chair and book or my phone and smush up to the cage. Open the door . I have lots of treats, and hand them out . And I just chill. Hopefully they start climbing on you and getting treats here and there. But not focusing just on them. My goal is usually to climb on me and go back and forth to cage on own. I hang out reading, and talking to them. Until they are relaxed sbd comfortable. Then I put something super like an apple slice in cage abd tell them time to go back, when ever they do I brag in them close the door . I repeat often till we get better together. Or depending on the burd personality I might scoop them up and place on my chest if they already like to cuddle and have some trust. And offer my finger under them and let them step on it hang out abd jump back to my chest as they want, always telling them how good they are goid whenever they climb on my finger.

There are lots of ways people make friends. I know when you start out new and haven't worked with birds and understand them yet it's always harder to get started. You guys will learn each other.

Lost of bribes fed by hand all day long, even just goingover say hi give treat. . Use same phrases,

I hope others give you clearer ideas and tips.

OP
F

Flipgirl24

Nov 11, 2021
And the more questions the better, the more information on your bird the better.

15 weeks parrotlet,
a weaned baby,
Who is not hand raised?

Good training time is when he is most alert. That is morning and before sunset. It's also when he is most hungry. So treat would be more appreciated.

With time to build trust, you will eventually bond with him. So using simple commands and step up onto your finger

But first thing first,
.....say routine short words repeatedly to get him to familiarize to you. And later, to understand you.
eg.
It's all right
Good morning
Good night
(A breakthrough clue is if he start eating when he see you eat. You are a friend. And can proceed to simple commands like
......1 stick training and 2 step up to a perch 3 step up on yourfinger (in order of difficulty)
....call his name often
....keep him in a small cage with at least one side to a wall or a corner where he feels safe but can observe you.

This is for the beginning until he eat when you eat. (Some younger birds takes a few days, stubborn older birds takes months)
Then move his cage to where you do your things, in the middle of the room, to be closer to you.

one small for sleeping
....also work as a temporary cage when Emerald want to be with us but keep sticking her beak into everything we are doing, as this cage is light and mobile

and another one large cage for playing in .....placed in the most active area, where she can observe all activities closely.
......and though, she fly freely in this bird proof room, her cage is where she go back to when thirsty or hungry or taking a nap

If you let your bird out to excercise, you may not want to grab him. Fear can set back all the trust you have cultivated.
Thank you so much for your welcome and advice! Eddie goes away from my hand but sometimes he will let me rub his belly. Sometimes, he will come to me if my face is close to the cage but if my hand is near, he goes away. I am trying to be near the cage with millet and my other hand on the cage. He will come to eat most times.

15 weeks parrotlet,
a weaned baby,
Who is not hand raised?

But first thing first,
eg.
It's all right
Good morning
Good night
....call his name often

one small for sleeping

Thank you so much Emeral! This is so helpful. He will come and get millet from me if i am holding it outside the cage and he has let me give him sunflower seeds from my fingers (in the cage). But it seems like it is new day the next time. I had him on my finger once while offering millet but nothing like that since.

I will try your suggestions....thank you so much again for your lovely welcome and your advice!

OP
F

Flipgirl24

Nov 11, 2021
Aww you will get there.
For myself I never make step up the only way they get out.

Instead I focus on bonding and having them out with me and let step up happen more naturally. But there are lots of ways people do this, so it what works with for you. I get a comfy chair and book or my phone and smush up to the cage. Open the door . I have lots of treats, and hand them out . And I just chill. Hopefully they start climbing on you and getting treats here and there. But not focusing just on them. My goal is usually to climb on me and go back and forth to cage on own. I hang out reading, and talking to them. Until they are relaxed sbd comfortable. Then I put something super like an apple slice in cage abd tell them time to go back, when ever they do I brag in them close the door . I repeat often till we get better together. Or depending on the burd personality I might scoop them up and place on my chest if they already like to cuddle and have some trust. And offer my finger under them and let them step on it hang out abd jump back to my chest as they want, always telling them how good they are goid whenever they climb on my finger.

There are lots of ways people make friends. I know when you start out new and haven't worked with birds and understand them yet it's always harder to get started. You guys will learn each other.

Lost of bribes fed by hand all day long, even just goingover say hi give treat. . Use same phrases,

I hope others give you clearer ideas and tips.
Laurasea, thank you very much for this! Your ideas are clear and awesome. A different approach but obviously very effective! I will definitely incorporate them in my quest. I feel like I am going back and forth with him. Reading many of the posts, even the beginners seem much more advanced than me. Thanks again, your help is mich appreciated.

Most Reactions

Latest posts