Taming my Parakeets

Parrot Parent

Feb 22, 2011
My house
Parrots
R.I.P. Linius, my Sun conure
Tapa and Tio, Parakeets, Xander 3 month old sun conure
So I've been working on taming my parakeets even more ever since the passing of Linius. I Bought them a Playground for the table, some millet (they run out so fast so I bought a big bag :p), and pellets to convert their diet from seed. The taming has been going very well.

Every day I take them out of the cage. I talk to them softly at first and when they start chirping I speak in a cheerful manner.

They have been maturing and when I got them I didnt know thier sex because they still had the baby noses. But I do believe I have one boy(Tio) and one girl(Tapa) because Tio's nose looks purple with a blue overlay and Tapa's nose is pale blue with white overlay. Also everyday Tio's nose is looking more vibrant while Tapa's is looking more pale. Weird huh? I've also noticed Tio is easier to work with, more willing. Tapa is very cautious and quick to walk away. However when she see's the treats Tio gets she changes her mind and comes to get some too.

I ask Tio to step on my finger so he can reach the little peices of millet I give them. I dont ask Tapa to do this since she is more skittish. However this morning, to my astonishment, she stepped on my hand to eat some millet!! I immediatley grabbed my phone from my pocket and had a photo shoot with both of them.

Then after school I brought them out of the cage and back to the playground on the table. It has two cups on it, one for food and one for water. I let them sit there infront of the mirror and left the room. I stayed in the next room to make sure I could hear if they flew off, which I usually have to go back in a few times to get them off the floor. Today I actually heard silence so I was a bit worried. I went in and I found them on the floor o the playground eating the millet I left there. I picked up the millet and offered peices by hand. They DESTROYED the millet and didnt even seem to mind my hand! :p

Only a few times did Tapa get a bit worried. She would turn in a circle on the perch and then wait to see what Tio did. When she saw him eat she jumped right in to eating too :D

One more thing. I was watching them preen and when I was sitting there I noticed Tio cleaning his tail feathers near the base. He would clean a bit then he rubbed the top of his head into the preened feathers! Has anyone seen this behavior before? He did it about five times, and I'll admit it was uber cute!

Oh and one last thing before I post some pics from the photo shoot. I have decided I dont want to put another sun conure in Linius's old cage. It would really feel like I replaced him then. So I've decided to make it suitable for the parakeets. Its a bigger cage and much taller. I'm going to keep the smaller case just in case they have babies. That way I can put the babies in there until I find them suitable homes. I'm not planning on breeding them but I do believe they are boy and girl afterall and I'd feel horrible separating them since they've been together practically since their hatch day.:blue2::whiteblue: Always good to be ready for the future anyways :rolleyes:

Well here are the photos (please bear them since the keets wouldnt stop moving and got alot of blurry ones lol) :D

IMG_20110322_070503.jpg

IMG_20110322_070443.jpg

IMG_20110322_070323.jpg

IMG_20110322_070130.jpg

IMG_20110322_070434.jpg

Most Reactions

Latest posts