Tangie loves mom. Should I bother?

Maxo

Jul 30, 2015
Seacoast area, New Hampshire
Parrots
None (just mom's Senegal, Tangie)
I'm sure you Parrot Forum frequenters noticed I'm the new guy asking about getting my first parrot, and possibly that I've mentioned Tangie, my mom's Senegal.

Tangie was bought for me 15 years ago, but I wasn't interested in taking care of a parrot enough to really become his owner (I was 11, too immature), so my mother took him as her's. Now, my mother and Tangie are a flock together. Tangie gives my mother clear signals when he doesn't want to be petted, warning bites (not hard at all), and generally she does what she wants with him. scritches him, etc. He'll always step up and sit comfortable on her.

I'm 25 and realizing I could have had a great bond with Tangie. If that ship has sailed, I'm okay with it, as I've said I'm looking to get my own bird soon.

But I'd still like to reacquaint myself with Tangie if possible.

The problem is, he's been vicious to me. He's not aggressive at all. he will not lunge (unless he's on his cage. That's his territory). If he flies to the ground or chair, he will walk onto you hand.

However, he's very defensive. He bit me five times in two days earlier this month, generally because I was definitely nervous. My hand shook a little, and I gave the timid "step up" finger.

Are there some parrots that just don't want to be played with, or is Tangie just getting used to me? Should I keep trying to get to know him? I'm fine staying away from him, but I'm wondering if it's actually worth playing with him more.

Is Tangie too old at 17 to take on a new flock member?

EAI

Jul 25, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Parrots
Budgerigar: Arrow, Esther, Kratos, Cora, Ducky.

Lovebird: Izzy, Gizmo.
I think that reconnecting with Tangie would be a great idea! It might take a while, and while he might not exactly like you, having him used to you would come really handy. It sounds like he's getting reacquainted with you as well, and I would never say a parrot is too old to be re-tamed. But hopefully someone with more knowledge and experience can chip in!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
The oldest bird I ever fostered was 60... and that was a set in his ways male DYH... SO IF HE CAN BE TAUGHT TO STEP UP WITHOUT BITING...

1. Sennies have 'tude. And that's all of them.
2. You're not this bird's person.
3. How much has he been handled by anyone other than your mom? He might be overbonded. (I believe Sennie's are pair bond birds.) Could be a socialization issue.
4. Your mom will always be the favorite person.
5. Sennies can be Uber-territorial as well.

Disfavored person training:

1. Have your mom (the favorite person) take the bird to a room away from his territory, and put him on a training perch, or boing. She then leaves the room.
2. You come in and work with the bird, feeding him treats, and doing the basic step up and touch training. Praise and rewards for doing good.
3. You leave the room, and your mom comes in and takes him back to where he goes. Again, praise and reward for doing good.

OP
M

Maxo

Jul 30, 2015
Parrots
Okay, Mark, I'll try that. (you are Mark, right Birdman?)

He was well socialized when we bought him at 5 years old. He's just always been territorial with his cage and we've always respected that.

He's not always that bad. I've tried three days this month. The first day he was very sweet, no bites at all.

The second day, I got bit three times, once because he hopped on my shoulder and calmly took my shirt off to remove him (it wasn't calmly for him. He was dangling from the shirt lol. Nipped me) then I tried laddering with him. He did it twice. Third ladder- blood drawn. He's a pretty chilled out bird, not a ladderer. Or was he just putting me in my place?

That second day made day three a nightmare. I was just too nervous picking him up. it didn't help my mother was in the room that third day though. It's incredible how big of a difference it is, how he behaved without my mom in the room vs with her there.

He likes my attention. I whistle at him, he whistles back. I give him almonds to crack and he likes that. He's just got me in my place! Lol

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)

YES.

He was well socialized when we bought him at 5 years old. He's just always been territorial with his cage and we've always respected that.

TERRITORIAL IS NORMAL FOR A SENNIE...

He's not always that bad. I've tried three days this month. The first day he was very sweet, no bites at all.

The second day, I got bit three times, once because he hopped on my shoulder and calmly took my shirt off to remove him (it wasn't calmly for him. He was dangling from the shirt lol. Nipped me) then I tried laddering with him. He did it twice. Third ladder- blood drawn. He's a pretty chilled out bird, not a ladderer. Or was he just putting me in my place?

THAT'S SENNIE-TUDE FOR I'VE HAD ENOUGH LADDERING FOR ONE DAY... THANK YOU. YOU SENT YOUR MESSAGE. NOW I'M SENDING YOU ONE.

That second day made day three a nightmare. I was just too nervous picking him up. it didn't help my mother was in the room that third day though. It's incredible how big of a difference it is, how he behaved without my mom in the room vs with her there.

BINGO!!! THERE'S YOUR TRIGGER, JUST LIKE I THOUGHT. FAVORITE PERSON ISSUE... (I MUST BE PSYCHIC, EH?!)

He likes my attention. I whistle at him, he whistles back. I give him almonds to crack and he likes that. He's just got me in my place! Lol

SENNIE'S TO A LESSER EXTENT THAN CAGS, ARE ONE OF THOSE BIRDS THAT GETS HANDLED ON THEIR OWN TERMS...

OP
M

Maxo

Jul 30, 2015
Parrots

YES.

TERRITORIAL IS NORMAL FOR A SENNIE...

THAT'S SENNIE-TUDE FOR I'VE HAD ENOUGH LADDERING FOR ONE DAY... THANK YOU. YOU SENT YOUR MESSAGE. NOW I'M SENDING YOU ONE.

BINGO!!! THERE'S YOUR TRIGGER, JUST LIKE I THOUGHT. FAVORITE PERSON ISSUE... (I MUST BE PSYCHIC, EH?!)

SENNIE'S TO A LESSER EXTENT THAN CAGS, ARE ONE OF THOSE BIRDS THAT GETS HANDLED ON THEIR OWN TERMS...

You find CAGs get handled on their own terms? How do you manage that?

Also, just curious - I've read African greys are the most emotional, meaning they can become depressed more easily. How do they make for pets if handled properly, and what is proper handling for them?

Most Reactions

Latest posts