Snapdragon

Dec 26, 2019
Everett, WA
Parrots
Tashi, almost-2-year-old female moustache parakeet, Indian subspecies (Psittacula alexandri fasciata)
It's official! Tashi the mustache parakeet IS MINE!

97rnGd2.jpg

ppNFp6r.jpg

I work at a parrot shop. I swore I wouldn't get a bird. And then the "most difficult bird in the store" chose me.

Our story starts here:
Adventures in Bird-Sitting

Last evening, my boss told me to go ahead and write "SOLD" on the sign above. Turns out that it's because my hours are temporarily being severely cut due to the coronavirus situation hurting business, and this was his way of trying to soften the blow. No deposit required; Tashi can stay at the shop until I find a place that will allow my three cats and him; I get him and everything he needs for slightly above wholesale; and I get to do a long-term payment plan. Ah, the perks of being an employee.

I am so excited! And honestly, really nervous. This little guy is going to be with me into my sixties. :eek: There are so many ways I could screw up!

I've already picked out:
  • a cage
  • pellets (TOP's, because it's all organic and it doesn't contain soy, corn, sugar, or dyes)
  • a certified avian vet (my coworker absolutely loves her and swears she's the best vet he's ever taken his parrots to)
  • a carrier/sleep cage
  • a harness (Aviator)
  • a few toys (he is a huge shredder and a chewer)
  • perches (dragon wood, bottlebrush, a pedicure perch for the highest perch in the cage)
  • training treats (bits of walnut and dried papaya)

Any thoughts on my choices above?

I still need to figure out a playstand, etc... I'm so overwhelmed!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Congratulations!!!!! So happy for you!
Sorry about work tho. Everything messed up right now.
But you are going to be a wonderful bird mom!!!
Love you he pictures!!

OP
Snapdragon

Snapdragon

Dec 26, 2019
Everett, WA
Parrots
Tashi, almost-2-year-old female moustache parakeet, Indian subspecies (Psittacula alexandri fasciata)
I LOVE HIM SO MUCH. He has so much personality!

:jumping40

I stay after my shift ends until close almost every day to hang out with him and laugh at his antics. I hate that it's the weekend now, because it means I can't see him for a few days. (Can't afford the gas to drive down unless I'm working.)

We have another game as of today. It's called, "I'm Gonna Get The Bird". Probably one you all know in some form! I've already bite-pressure-trained Tashi, so I trust him 100%. I wiggle a finger near him, far enough away that he has to choose to come over to play, and say over and over in a silly voice, "I'm gonna get the bird!" He usually comes over and starts beaking my finger, pinning his eyes, and making fake angry noises. It looks intense. When I stop, the feathers on his head are raised, and he shakes himself and his tail happily. My coworker doesn't read ringneck family parrots well, and when he saw us playing, he thought Tashi was angry. :18:

God I love this bird.

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
Aw, congratulations! So excited for you both :)

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
He is so obviously your bird. He definitely loves you and really wanted nothing to do with anyone else that came in. And I was so honored to be there when the word SOLD was put up next to him!

The shop seems like a magical place to work and it was fun to meet you and your coworker.

If you aren’t as in love with his CAV is Timbuktu, I really like mine in Bothell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
So happy for you! I freely admit I know nothing about mustache parakeets except this- he is absolutely adorable!!! Congratulations! Looking forward to hearing about the journey.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Congratulations on being adopted and approved by Tashi, he is obviously a moustachioed gent of very good taste!

charmedbyekkie

May 24, 2018
US/SG
Parrots
Cairo the Ekkie!
Congrats!! We only have wild moustache parakeets (they're often in our garden), so it's amazing for me to see one up close!

OP
Snapdragon

Snapdragon

Dec 26, 2019
Everett, WA
Parrots
Congrats!! We only have wild moustache parakeets (they're often in our garden), so it's amazing for me to see one up close!

I'm jealous! They're so beautiful. I don't even yet know what their wild calls sound like, because he's spent most of his life with an Indian ringneck as a neighbor, and they've picked up each other's calls.

If you can ever catch a decent video of them flying, would you consist posting it? Tashi is an awkward flier due to lack of exercise, and I'd love to see what he will look like with practice.

OP
Snapdragon

Snapdragon

Dec 26, 2019
Everett, WA
Parrots
He is so obviously your bird. He definitely loves you and really wanted nothing to do with anyone else that came in. And I was so honored to be there when the word SOLD was put up next to him!

The shop seems like a magical place to work and it was fun to meet you and your coworker.

If you aren’t as in love with his CAV is Timbuktu, I really like mine in Bothell.

Ack! In my excitement, I forgot to mention that you were there, too! I'm glad you were there. You're a permanent part of his journey. ❤

I'll definitely give your vet a try if it doesn't work out. :) BTW... whaaaat about Timbuktu? Lol!

OP
Snapdragon

Snapdragon

Dec 26, 2019
Everett, WA
Parrots
My adorkable fid!
PdJmgEL.jpg

He is SO gorgeous.
5dTj7Jk.jpg

I wonder... does that kind of fold in his feathers down at the bottom of the pictures mean he's overweight? It wouldn't surprise me given how much time he spends in his cage, and how he used to be in his cage 24/7 (nobody could handle him) before we became friends.

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17

Ack! In my excitement, I forgot to mention that you were there, too! I'm glad you were there. You're a permanent part of his journey. [emoji173]

I'll definitely give your vet a try if it doesn't work out. :) BTW... whaaaat about Timbuktu? Lol!

That should have been IN Timbuktu lolol

OP
Snapdragon

Snapdragon

Dec 26, 2019
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bath time for Tashi!

J8DhLKp.jpg

hRGsTBh.jpg

Z3JLiB0.jpg

"MAMA! You're here! Stop the photos and play with me!"

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
OMG! Tooo cute!!!! The fold in belly feathers can be normal I have a bird that has that, it normal, didn't go away when she got skinny when sick, just how she made

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
He certainly bathes with enthusiasm :).

OP
Snapdragon

Snapdragon

Dec 26, 2019
Everett, WA
Parrots
Thanks, Laura! Good to know. I'm still thinking he's a bit chunky just due to how he's been living. That's OK, I'll help him get into shape. And maybe he'll help ME get into shape, too.

He certainly bathes with enthusiasm :).

Right?! I think it's his first bath since he was at his breeder's.

Tashi used to be so painfully shy and scared at the store that nobody wanted to do anything to scare him more. I've tried a spray bottle shower, but he didn't like it. Leaving a bowl in his cage didn't work either.

I finally set up a big bowl atop Tashi's cage today, hoping he'd take advantage of it. When I came back from cleaning in Boarding, the little hooligan was jumping in and out of the bowl with gusto, racing around atop the cages yelling happily and trying to get his ringneck and dusky conure neighbors to play, and then racing back to cannonball back into the bowl and nestling down into it happily. I bet the cool water feels awfully good in the middle of a molt.

OP
Snapdragon

Snapdragon

Dec 26, 2019
Everett, WA
Parrots
You guys, my bird is crazy smart. I think I'm in big trouble.

Tashi discovered the joys of throwing objects on the floor and getting the human to retrieve then today. :p. Bonus: it's a great way to get Mama's attention when she's busy! When I caught on and began to ignore it, he made a big show of grumbling and pouting. He also figured out that if he flat-out throws something AT me while I'm nearby talking with customers, it gets attention and laughter from all parties involved!

Hunting for and attacking the buttons on my shirt -- which is one of the few things he wants to do that is Not Allowed -- is now a favorite game. I keep rolling the button-up part of my shirt in, but he is downright sneaky about it! (I keep telling him that when I finally get to bring him home, I will make sure he has buttons of his very own.)

I made a foraging toy for Tashi today, and he figured it out in all of fifteen seconds. What?!

My bird has made it very clear that he likes tea and expects me to share. I let him have one drop of sweetened green tea today, and now he hops, climbs, or flies straight to my hand when I pick up my tea. I'm going to have to come up with a bird-safe tea we both approve of.

Stinker decided today that "I'm gonna get the bird" is MUCH more fun if he can get Mama to play using her mouth. (Basically beak wrestling.) Bonus points for managing to maneuver so the tip of his beak goes up a nostril. And if Mama laughs, that means you're supposed to attempt to grab her teeth. :34: Oh birds! (Yes, I know this is NOT safe for him due to bacteria, and I'm doing my best to dissuade him.)

Finally, in "OMG SO CUTE"... Tashi fell asleep on my shoulder for the first time today. I thought my heart would burst. ❤

I LOVE MY BIRD SO MUCH. He is amazing.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
What a joy to read! And how neat to have a mustache parrot added to the flock!

Most Reactions

Latest posts