the best bird ever...

JawzX

Aug 22, 2010
Media
Vermont
Parrots
8 year-old second-hand Alexandrine Parakeet Buddy (aka Baby, aka Ms. Prissy Beak)
I have the best bird ever. I mean who doesn't right?

This saturday she let me sleep in 'till noon (I wake up at 9 to give her breakfast, then go back to sleep) and then demanded shoulder time and scritches for a whole hour. just me and her sitting quietly together, bird pressed against cheek purring and cooing while getting scritches, me telling her what a good, good bird she was. Then we had some lemonade and worked on "turn around" and then some more scritches.

who says Alexandrines aren't cuddly? :D
cuddle.jpg

her tail is so long and pretty after her molt!
tail.jpg

Last edited:

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
They are absolutely beautiful. I had a chance to see a male and female at my club meeting last week. They both had different guardians and seemed not to want to interact with eachother.
Thanks for the nice pics.

Dj tweet

Aug 11, 2010
New Zealand
Parrots
Pheonix- alexandrine parrot
1 September 2010

mikki- barraband x king parrot
21yrs old
Money may buy you a bird and a cage
it will buy you lots of toys and seed
but it will never buy their love

Gongrats !!!
The rewards we reap for being a good parronts are worth much more than all the money we pay to keep them :)

nofearengineer

Sep 8, 2010
Parrots
Gandalf - CAG (1997-2010) R.I.P. my baby boy.
Bitty - CAG (2 yrs old? and working on spoiling her rotten)
That is truly awesome, Jawz.

I like dogs and cats, but there is nothing like a parrot for true pet cuddles.

I love how over-proportional her beak is (compared to most other parrot species). It almost makes her look like a living, breathing, cartoon! Like if you tried to draw cuteness incarnate.

bogo1

Jun 22, 2010
Media
Albums
Missouri
Parrots
Sam (GCC)
Gem (CBC)
Merry and Teechka (parakeets)
and non FIDS:
Harvey and Jed (dogs) Jolte and Churney (cats) Twister and Mac (horses) Nikolas and Aleksndr (ducks )
Great pictures! There is nothing like a bird nestled against your neck!

2Birds3Kids

Sep 14, 2010
Media
Southern California
Parrots
Male Vos Eclectus
Female Vos Eclectus
Male Cockatiel Pied Cinnamon
Female Cockatiel
That is adorable and know just how you feel. My ekkie loves to be scratched and falls asleep while I do it. But when she wakes herself up and realizes she has let her guard down she shakes her head like crazy. It's really cute. She was a rescue bird so is quite nervous but has discovered that she really does like to be scratched after all :)

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
Jade was just the opposite yesterday...she was quite a pill! Ruby and Max maintained their good manners and behavior. But Jade was into everything! and nippy!

This morning was looking up and she was being really sweet and cuddly...then while she was cuddling with her dad, he got up and went outside to check something...ruined everything! Now she's mad and there will be some serious sucking up before we can get her to cuddle gain.

OP
JawzX

JawzX

Aug 22, 2010
Media
Vermont
Parrots
8 year-old second-hand Alexandrine Parakeet Buddy (aka Baby, aka Ms. Prissy Beak)
I love how over-proportional her beak is (compared to most other parrot species). It almost makes her look like a living, breathing, cartoon! Like if you tried to draw cuteness incarnate.

hah! Trust me when I tell you that beak is 100% functional! Alexandrines have the highest potential bite-strength of anything but the big amazons and macaws. She can open an almond in a single crunch! From a bird that only weighs 190 grams that's impressive. Luckily she never bites hard. Today we trimmed her nails and filed a split tip down and the worst she did was a hard pinch. Such a good bird! ;)

(yes, yes it is cute ;) )

Last edited:

Von1983

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
Media
Gorgeous!

Just looking at it makes me want to snuggle with Cal.

It's the most amazing feeling in the world, isn't it?

Most Reactions