The Continuing Capers of Companion-ing Cotton

OP
Cottonoid

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Feb 20, 2022
Thank you both!

Hopefully I'll eventually be able to figure out Cotton's triggers and he'll be able to leave at least his flight feathers alone. He was getting close!

So far it's a pattern that he pulls out feathers that get wet πŸ˜’ and all his feathers when he's touched.

Cage time was a new one. He loves his cage and all his toys! But loves his window afternoon time more.

Nico is a very cute nudist, at least :)

OP
Cottonoid

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Feb 20, 2022
Cotton's new favorite spot is the top of the toy hanger. He slides down it like a professional πŸ˜†

He was just beating his wings and screeching πŸ˜‚ but I didn't record video in time

PXL_20220904_121446180.jpg

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Cotton's new favorite spot is the top of the toy hanger. He slides down it like a professional πŸ˜†

He was just beating his wings and screeching πŸ˜‚ but I didn't record video in time

View attachment 43800
Just look at him sitting up there so proudly - King of All He Surveys! Oh I hope you can get some video of him having a good screech, I do love hearing his voice! :love:🀩

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP

View attachment 43800
Awww! Something about those toy hangers. Baxter had one on her old cage, and it was her favorite spot as well. She'd sit there, turn circles, and jabber away. And of course, seemed to take great delight in sliding down it like a fireman's pole :)

OP
Cottonoid

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Feb 20, 2022
Awww! Something about those toy hangers. Baxter had one on her old cage, and it was her favorite spot as well. She'd sit there, turn circles, and jabber away. And of course, seemed to take great delight in sliding down it like a fireman's pole :)

😍😍😍

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Well, dang. I'm late to this party, but happy I found it. I just followed those Alexandrine honks...
I'm the adoptive mom of a Xander. Let's join forces and conquer the world!
Xb TALK.jpg

"HELLO!!!!!!"

OP
Cottonoid

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Feb 20, 2022
Well, dang. I'm late to this party, but happy I found it. I just followed those Alexandrine honks...
I'm the adoptive mom of a Xander. Let's join forces and conquer the world!
View attachment 43978
"HELLO!!!!!!"

Cotton will gladly join forces if it means he gets to say hi to Xander!

WingDing

Nov 13, 2017
Media
Texas
Parrots
Toby - RS Eclectus
Midori - Nanday Conure
I am gearing up for attempting to capture Cotton to go to the vet...... deep breath, deep breath, project CALMMMMMMMM

🀞
Good luck, man! I feel you. I start stressing a full week before vet visits. There will be wailing and gnashing of beaks! Travel crate training is going oh so slowwwwwww

OP
Cottonoid

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Feb 20, 2022
Travel crate training is going oh so slowwwwwww
I'm hoping by next year's visit it might be a possibility haha

This year however involved, at one point, a bird looking very much like a miniature RoadRunner speeding across the floor to the other side of the room and jumping up to climb the leg of his cage

So we aren't quite at travel cage trained here πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†

He did great at the vet!! He is a TINY LITTLE SQUIRTLET at 89g with good body condition. He cried the whole time he was being handled but didn't try to bite at all - good job buddy!

When we got home he got to sit outside for a few hours and watch the hummingbirds and butterflies. He played with his toy and ate some food and seemed to really enjoy it. I wish I had a way to roll his main cage out but that is not how doorways are made around here ;)

He put himself to bed right on time and seems not stressed at all even today, so hurrah! I'm so relieved.

With only 0.8ml of blood to take we prioritized infectious disease testing which should take a couple weeks. If those results are all negative I want to ask her about when we should plan for a normal CBC/chem/diff to get a baseline. She'll give me more specific diet recommendations after we get this round of bloodwork back too, but it sounds like we're on the right track with his current food offerings.

OP
Cottonoid

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Feb 20, 2022
Cotton tested negative for the big baddies and this is now his second negative Chlamydia test so 🀞🏻🀞🏻 the antibiotic courses did the work and he won't have chronic issues!

In bigger news, today Cotton went into his cage on request (the routine used to be putting a tiny walnut piece in his treat bowl and saying it was time for bed but he's avoided his cage if I'm in the room for several weeks now) and took walnuts from me a few times in a row.

We aren't back to the level we achieved but it's a step forward from where we have been since Cage Debacle Day.

He's now down to one tail feather and even though I took a lot out of his cage, I can't move his transit path much and you can see why he isn't a fan 🀣

PXL_20221002_192922648.jpg

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Cotton tested negative for the big baddies and this is now his second negative Chlamydia test so 🀞🏻🀞🏻 the antibiotic courses did the work and he won't have chronic issues!

In bigger news, today Cotton went into his cage on request (the routine used to be putting a tiny walnut piece in his treat bowl and saying it was time for bed but he's avoided his cage if I'm in the room for several weeks now) and took walnuts from me a few times in a row.

We aren't back to the level we achieved but it's a step forward from where we have been since Cage Debacle Day.

He's now down to one tail feather and even though I took a lot out of his cage, I can't move his transit path much and you can see why he isn't a fan 🀣

View attachment 44691
That tail feather looks very preened.

Poor Cotton. At least he is not completely bare.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
No more stains above nostril!@@ yay! Haven't come back!
Weight looks good! Yay!
Vet all ckear yay!

Bold explorer active and happy yay!

Feathers.....wish there was a cure...we can always hope he gets more tolerance with them... those were impressive long tail Feathers. Glad we got to see them

Most Reactions