pterry97

Aug 26, 2020
UK
Hi all,

It took a long time. It's been about 5 months since I rescued Mofu. Since week one she started losing feathers, and it was one heck of a journey trying to figure out the cause. Starting with random fits, 4 vet visits, constant 'all clear's, a false testing, and finally the 5th visit with an expensive blood test later, and it's now positive that Mofu has indeed has PBFD this whole time.

I'm not really sure to how feel about it to be honest. On one hand, I'm sort of relieved? She's not living feeling stressed like so many people have tried to convince me, guilting me into thinking I've been doing something wrong this whole time with Mofu's care. It's a condition that can be explained and was simply slowly cultivating this whole time without us figuring it out.

396dedc2de813c1310a2271e23927d674920908b.jpg

But on the other hand, I can only worry for the future. Having such an infectious disease affects and limits my workload at the farm, now I won't be able to assist with the fowl without potentially being a risk to the flock myself as a carrier. I can no longer risk visiting my family's birds. I need to keep Mofu's environment as sanitary as possible, which is difficult when you have long haired dogs and cats moulting on absolutely everything. Even THEY can be a risk for cross contamination now. It definitely makes things a lot trickier.

That being said, we'll be continuing our training with Mofu to get her more tame and more comfortable with her life with me. We've just upgraded her cage with so many more toys, it's cute watching her navigate from top to bottom. Still hasn't figured out how to play with her things but maybe one day she'll figure it out. We might have to start investing in some clothes for her now...

6e04c96418a0de45845265997025f9b0cdcfb202.jpg

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Very sorry to learn of Mofu's definitive diagnosis. I have not dealt with PBFD but have read anecdotal accounts of significant longevity with proper supportive care. Hopefully other members will share experiences and techniques to give Mofu the best quality of life.

If you receive limited response to this thread, I can move it to General Health or wherever you wish for broader attention. Just let me know!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Mofu looks so happy and confident in your pictures. Clearly a well loved parrot!!!

Congratulations on the fancy new upgrade.

I'm sorry this was confirmed , but glad you have answers.

OP
P

pterry97

Aug 26, 2020
UK
Very sorry to learn of Mofu's definitive diagnosis. I have not dealt with PBFD but have read anecdotal accounts of significant longevity with proper supportive care. Hopefully other members will share experiences and techniques to give Mofu the best quality of life.

If you receive limited response to this thread, I can move it to General Health or wherever you wish for broader attention. Just let me know!

Is there a community of PBFD owners on here? I haven't seen any, although I've found a lot of owners on Instagram.

OP
P

pterry97

Aug 26, 2020
UK
Mofu looks so happy and confident in your pictures. Clearly a well loved parrot!!!

Congratulations on the fancy new upgrade.

I'm sorry this was confirmed , but glad you have answers.

Thank you! I've been trying real hard with her since having her, so I'm glad despite her rather decrepit state that she is still a bundle of energy. The first image washer reacting to me assembling the new cage, she was wondering what the heck I was doing and even hung out on my shoulders during the process, which is a rarity for her.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I like MoFu's new digs. Sorry that the diagnosis has landed so hard, but MoFu looks chipper despite. Stay with us!

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
You have a wonderful heart to recognize the importance of this commitment and how it could impact others, while still standing by Mofu.

In some cases, a bird with crazy feather loss from PBFD can still outlive prognosis if they have proper nutrition, medication, warmth etc...but you are right to worry about the fact that it is contagious...and if anything does go wrong, it's not because you failed (at least, looking at and hearing what you have said so far).

YOU ARE DOING AWESOME SO FAR-- That new cage is super clean too- which is great (not because I'm a clean-freak, but because I have researched PBFD).

Mofu is lucky, and I appreciate the fact that you stuck by her- I mean she's adorable, but it can be overwhelming- but you didn't let that get in the way. You guys are awesome for loving her as she is.

Last edited:

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Awwww, Mofu does look so happy in that photo! As difficult as this diagnosis is, it seems that you have a good management plan in place and you certainly are committed to giving her the best life possible. Sending good vibes and positive thoughts your way. I’m so glad that we get to know sweet little Mofu through you.

Ellie777Australia

Apr 12, 2019
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
SI Eclectus Female, Ellie; RS/SI Eclectus Male, Bertie (both adopted as rescue/re-home)
Hi all,

It took a long time. It's been about 5 months since I rescued Mofu. Since week one she started losing feathers, and it was one heck of a journey trying to figure out the cause. Starting with random fits, 4 vet visits, constant 'all clear's, a false testing, and finally the 5th visit with an expensive blood test later, and it's now positive that Mofu has indeed has PBFD this whole time.

I'm not really sure to how feel about it to be honest. On one hand, I'm sort of relieved? She's not living feeling stressed like so many people have tried to convince me, guilting me into thinking I've been doing something wrong this whole time with Mofu's care. It's a condition that can be explained and was simply slowly cultivating this whole time without us figuring it out.

396dedc2de813c1310a2271e23927d674920908b.jpg

But on the other hand, I can only worry for the future. Having such an infectious disease affects and limits my workload at the farm, now I won't be able to assist with the fowl without potentially being a risk to the flock myself as a carrier. I can no longer risk visiting my family's birds. I need to keep Mofu's environment as sanitary as possible, which is difficult when you have long haired dogs and cats moulting on absolutely everything. Even THEY can be a risk for cross contamination now. It definitely makes things a lot trickier.

That being said, we'll be continuing our training with Mofu to get her more tame and more comfortable with her life with me. We've just upgraded her cage with so many more toys, it's cute watching her navigate from top to bottom. Still hasn't figured out how to play with her things but maybe one day she'll figure it out. We might have to start investing in some clothes for her now...

6e04c96418a0de45845265997025f9b0cdcfb202.jpg

Sometimes people rescue birds not anticipating behavioral challenges and physical or medical problems that may lay ahead. I'm glad to hear about what you are doing for Mofu and how you are moving ahead with Mofu's best interest in mind.:)

I wonder if a General Health forum thread with a header of 'dealing with PBFD' might attract some attention from others addressing this issue????

Most Reactions