The good and bad of Hahn's macaws

Jeserah

Feb 16, 2014
Hey folks!
I have a thread running in the "questions and answers" section of this forum, and that thread led me here to ask about Hahn's macaws.

I've read as much as I can about them in the last day, and it seems like they're wonderful little macaws with lots of personality. I understand they can be loud, but *gasps* they're birds and I'm ok with that :)

How are they in new environments? How do they interact with strangers? How well do they take stress? How do they handle being left for part of the day or the occasional weekend? How nippy, territorial or moody do they get during breeding season? *I understand that these questions are also answered differently from bird to bird but I'm simply trying to get a general sense of the species.

If there was some advice that you could give to persuade me to get one or NOT to get one, what would that be? If there was something you would have loved to know before getting a macaw, here's your chance to share with someone who is only contemplating right now.

I have lots of time and even more research before I make a decision, so quality answers would be most appreciated! Thanks so much for reading! :)

Hey folks!
I have a thread running in the "questions and answers" section of this forum, and that thread led me here to ask about Hahn's macaws.

I've read as much as I can about them in the last day, and it seems like they're wonderful little macaws with lots of personality. I understand they can be loud, but *gasps* they're birds and I'm ok with that :)

How are they in new environments? How do they interact with strangers? How well do they take stress? How do they handle being left for part of the day or the occasional weekend? How nippy, territorial or moody do they get during breeding season? *I understand that these questions are also answered differently from bird to bird but I'm simply trying to get a general sense of the species.

If there was some advice that you could give to persuade me to get one or NOT to get one, what would that be? If there was something you would have loved to know before getting a macaw, here's your chance to share with someone who is only contemplating right now.

I have lots of time and even more research before I make a decision, so quality answers would be most appreciated! Thanks so much for reading! :)

Hi, I am owned by an eight month o,d Hahn's Macaw. We have had her since six weeks. Prior to getting Hahnna, I did a lot of reading and watched a lot of youtube. LOL. I had a Cockatoo prior to Hahnna, that I had to give up due to severe asthmafro. The powder and I never wanted to go through that again. It was devestating to me so I wanted to be sure that (a) I would not have allergies and (b) that she would be a good fit for me. Hahnna is everything and more than I could have hoped for.

As far as noise goes, I read that they are very vocal and the way around that would be to teach them to talk. We word associated with Hahnna early on, from day one at six weeks. I Truly believe that a parrot is as noisy as their home. What I find is that when we are all laughing and talking loudly that Hahnna wants to join in and will attempt to be louder then us. She does have a contact call, that she uses when I come hime fro. Work or when she hears us up i. The morning, but despite what some have said I do not find it nearly as loud as the calls of the Sun Conure and in no way as demanding, It is more of a "Hello, I am her and I am glad you are home or up." And she stops after a coup,e of times, even if I do not go in by her. She is ok with a simple "Hi, Hahnna."

With regard to new environments, interacting with strangers and stress. i truly believe this all depends on how well you socialize them when they are young and how much you expose them to. My understanding was that Hahn's tend to be nippy and one person birds if not handled a lot. Since I was aware of that, I had everyone handle Hahnna, even company on a regular basis and I believe that it is because of that, that I am able to have company over and Hahnna comfortably step up to them when asked and without fear or nipping. We also harnss trained her from six weeks, and took her to the parks, in the car and brought her shopping at Bird Paradise which is very noisy. She is very comfortable in all different environments. I do believe that all of the above could easily change if I stopped exposing her, or stopped letting others handle her, so key is to continually keep up wth that. We have had no issue with steas, but from seeing Hahn's Macaws given up, and taking with so e involved with parrot rescue it seems, but I think this holds true for any parrot or animal, that if they are left without attention or nothing to do that they will temd to pluck fro. The stress.

I work and Hahnna is alone for a good part of the day, but we give her a lot to do and change things up often so she does not get bored. I also have a room that I made into her room, so she is not in the cage, but I know others that work and who do not have a bird room and their Hahn's does fine. They require a rather large cage, and if you put enough in there for them to play with, I think they would do fine. As far as leaving them for the weekend, as ling as you have someone taking care of him or her and it is only occassionally I can not see where it would be an issue.

I cannot answer about breeding season because Hahnna is young, but if what I have read is true it seems that the males express more moodiness and they tend to be more territorial. i do believe a lot depends on each parrot but have to admit that because of reading this, I chose a DNA'd female.

I ending, I cannot say enough good about my experience thus far. i absolutely adore Hahnna, I do not find her overly demanding, nor destructive. She is exteemely smart and chatty but more than that she just does not mimic, she seems ti have a sense of what she is saying and uses her words appropriately which still blows my mind. She is also very comical and outs a smile on my face each day. My husband who has never been a bird man, in the almost 30 years I have been married to him would never pick up a bird just loves her, which really speaks volumes. I do not k ow if she is the norm or I am just lucky, but I think we ourselves mold how our babies grow and what they display. They give back what you out nto them. Hope this helps:) elaine and Hahnna

Hahn's macaws are my favorite of the macaws. I don't really have anything bad to say about them. All of the ones I have worked with were very easily trainable, good with strangers, playful (although two of them, while being good with strangers, were only playful with their person), and they tend to entertain themselves if they are alone for a period of time. It's important to rotate out their toys, because they do get bored very quickly.

A lot of people have complained that they are very loud, but you have to somewhat expect that when getting into birds. Noise doesn't bother me, so again, I can't complain.

Like the person above posted, you'll get a bird who is comfortable with anything if you socialize it. With the exception of a few birds, almost any bird can be well socialized. Because I do education as well, I hyper socialize my bird. I've heard people say "one new thing a day", and several people I went to college with (animal behavior) say "ten new things a day". I chose thirty. When I get my bird home, I introduce them to different toys, different colors and patterns, different clothing, different noises, different foods, different people, and different places. I turn on different movies, eat different foods in front of them, and practice different movements and speak in different volumes. I also introduce them to different types of medical equipment, and other species of animals.

While socializing your bird, especially to this extent, it is very important to become familiar with their body language. It is possible to over do socialization, which could have the outcome of a scared or angry bird. Watch carefully for signs of stress, and remove either the bird from the situation or the situation from the bird if this occurs.

I have a Hahns macaw named Captain Jack. He will be a year old this spring. I have no big complaints. Yes they can squawk and make weird noises. They are macaw like and do love attention. They can learn to say words. It is cute to hear Captain Jack say something because it so cartoonish sounding. He loves shredding things such as paper and wood. He also loves those grass matts. They are just a bird one needs to spend time with. I will end by saying he is a cuddly bird.

Last edited:
Absolutely love them.

The ONLY downside I am aware of, is they can occasionally be nippy with little kids, especially hyper kids who run around and spook them.

(Name a bird that isn't... )

Loud is a relative concept.

Hahn's macaw loud is nowhere near Cockatoo loud, or Greenwing loud...

They are pair bond birds. That means they will have a tendency to overbond, and as others have said, you need to make a point of socializing the bird around other people.

Last edited:
I have a Hahns named Hahnzel. He is very energetic and loves to talk and sing with us when we rehearse. His favorite singer is Norah Jones.

As for behaviors, they vary according to time of day, time spent alone, and noise level of the house. I had a Jenday conure before, Hahnzel is no where near as loud.

Socialization is a two way street. If a family member reaches out and he learns they can be trusted, then he will go to them. If they are brand new to him, he doesn't trust them and will hide behind me or go to a safe spot. He's a little guy, so he needs to know you won't try and eat him.

Alone time is relative to what's normal for your household. I am gone up to 12 hours at a time and occasionally I am gone for a night or two. However, my wife and I overlap during the day so he isn't alone for longer than 6-8 hours at a time. Plus my son helps keep him company on some days.

Woah, thanks for all of the wonderful replies!

I was expecting more of a moderate response, but it seems that everyone here truly adores their birds. I'm glad that it is pretty unanimous that they are great little dudes as I will gladly consider one in my home now.

I found that Facebook group you were talking about, buzz, and it was very helpful! I think I'll join if I ever get a hahns, but I've already pulled some good reference websites off of there.

I'm in no rush to purchase, but would you folks have any suggestions for a breeder? What should be my next step if I were to pursue the idea of getting a hahns?

Thanks again guys!

Woah, thanks for all of the wonderful replies!

I was expecting more of a moderate response, but it seems that everyone here truly adores their birds. I'm glad that it is pretty unanimous that they are great little dudes as I will gladly consider one in my home now.

I found that Facebook group you were talking about, buzz, and it was very helpful! I think I'll join if I ever get a hahns, but I've already pulled some good reference websites off of there.

I'm in no rush to purchase, but would you folks have any suggestions for a breeder? What should be my next step if I were to pursue the idea of getting a hahns?

Thanks again guys!

I am not sure about breeders. I am in NJ and found at least around here and I think a few others have said the same, that it was very tough to find a breeder. Where I do not suggest a pet store, Hahnna came fromBird Paradise and I was pleased with them. They DNA tested as well as tested for disease and vaccinated. I also liked the fact that they are very strict about not allowing hand feeding babies to go home. I am experienced and still had to go a few times and beg and yet still they were hesitant to allow me to take Her. Rarely will they allow a hand feeding baby to go home, which I truly appreciatd and respected. Others amy be able to lead you in the right direction for a breeder. Good luck.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back