The Levi Diaries

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Let me know if it works, Tami. I've used Maya as my visual aide for Jolly's harness training, but Jolly remains unconvinced. I could've sworn he rolled his eyes at me last time! Lol!

How far have you gotten with his training?

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Golly I just LOVE the visual aid thingy Tami! What type harness are you trying with Levi? And where did you get the "parrot" from?? ( That's the most important question ;))

Jim

OP
Tami2

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
Let me know if it works, Tami. I've used Maya as my visual aide for Jolly's harness training, but Jolly remains unconvinced. I could've sworn he rolled his eyes at me last time! Lol!

How far have you gotten with his training?

That’s probably exactly what he’s doing. :rolleyes:

I think it is. He was afraid of the harness until he saw me donning PJ. When I demo I talk through everything I’m doing as well. For the visual and auditory sensory input.

I was able to get the harness over his head. Than one session he freaked & it was a struggle to get it off. So, I put it on hold and only recently started back up.

I’m crossing my fingers to be successful by spring.

Golly I just LOVE the visual aid thingy Tami! What type harness are you trying with Levi? And where did you get the "parrot" from?? ( That's the most important question ;))

Jim

Ha :)
It’s the aviator harness.

I got the plush from Amazon when I first got Levi. This might interest you: ;)
https://www.amazon.com/Folkmanis-Am...rrot+plush&dpPl=1&dpID=51rp+XoTmqL&ref=plSrch

OP
Tami2

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
Levi enjoying his view from the new perch that Daddy made for him. :)

tami2-albums-levi-picture20952-levi-s-new-fave-spot-cabin.jpg

OP
Tami2

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
Levi just hanging out, but always watching . . . :D

tami2-albums-levi-picture21176-just-chillin-ropes.jpg

OP
Tami2

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
First outing this spring w/ my boy. The weather in the northeast was gorgeous today, 76 :smile049:

However, he wasn't overly crazy about his new backpack. So, it wasn't a long walk. It's a little smaller than the medium POB, but it was fine. I like the front window clear, so he has a better view.
tami2-albums-levi-picture21279-levi-his-new-backpack.jpg

I also like that the colors match Levi....:D

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
First outing this spring w/ my boy. The weather in the northeast was gorgeous today, 76 :smile049:

However, he wasn't overly crazy about his new backpack. So, it wasn't a long walk. It's a little smaller than the medium POB, but it was fine. I like the front window clear, so he has a better view.
tami2-albums-levi-picture21279-levi-his-new-backpack.jpg

I also like that the colors match Levi....:D
Okay Tami, you got me with the matching colors thing lol. He looks great in there. Yay Levi! It was indeed a beautiful day today. We're a bit more north and east, but still hit 70. Tucker had his first day out as well. Just a few minutes, but it was a great intro to being out there with the harness for the first time.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
Tami2

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
Thank You! Awww nice, the harness. I'm jealous, I don't think we're ever going to get that harness on. :confused: Even if we did, I'm sure he'll try and bite it off.
Did you post a pic? I'd love to see it.

Last edited:

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures. I was so excited that he did it, and really nervous that it would stress him and make a negative experience out of it that I forgot to take any. As it turns out, it was much more an issue for me than him. He was great. Not that I'm a proud dad or anything...

If we EVER get another nice day, we'll definitely be out there. (and get pictures) Big if though. 40 and raining today. Nothing like 70 in the foreseeable future. :-(

OP
Tami2

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
Unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures. I was so excited that he did it, and really nervous that it would stress him and make a negative experience out of it that I forgot to take any. As it turns out, it was much more an issue for me than him. He was great. Not that I'm a proud dad or anything...

If we EVER get another nice day, we'll definitely be out there. (and get pictures) Big if though. 40 and raining today. Nothing like 70 in the foreseeable future. :-(

Oh I get that. Okay, when it gets nice up there, I'll look forward to your pix. :)

How long did it take for him to accept the harness? I can get Levi's head through, but he takes it out immediately.

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Cuckoo the BFA RIP

Oh I get that. Okay, when it gets nice up there, I'll look forward to your pix. :)

How long did it take for him to accept the harness? I can get Levi's head through, but he takes it out immediately.
It didn't take as long as I had expected. First day I just showed it to him to see if he was afraid or bothered. He walked up to it, picked it up, played with it a little, and kept on going. New things don't generally bother him. It was more about physically handling him than the harness itself. Getting him used to draping it over his back took a while, but really, a few minutes at a time then take a break, many times over several weeks. After that, he was easy. The biggest thing when I finally put it on him for real, was the bigger strap that you tighten. He kept stepping forward and getting he's legs on the wrong side, and when I tried to straighten it out, he grabbed on to it with his feet. Made it hard to fix without stressing him. He was good about it though. Again, I was more stressed about it than he was. After that, he took off to the cage and I thought it was over. Nope! I think then he realized he could fly with it on and let me finish tightening. Lots of praise, treats, and immediate trip outside. That made him really happy :) I can't help but think he already knew how, but previous owner just kept him clipped and assumed that was enough. I guess he's just a super tolerant boy, and I'm incredibly lucky.

Now, Baxter... I don't know if I can be that lucky twice. Way too early to tell. I haven't even shown it to her yet. Can't really start handling like that since she's pretty hormonal, and gets way too excited if I even look like I might touch her back or wings. Still loves her head skritches and snuggles though.

OP
Tami2

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
Hi All,

It's been a while since I've updated Levi's pg. Sorry bout that. :(

Last night was pretty interesting and I thought I'd share.
Please excuse the food & smudges on the window. I do clean it quite frequently, and than Levi just gets it messy all over again. :D

Tough guy likes to chase not only the birds, but these guys as well. From the safety of the window of course. :)

However, this was a little too much.
tami2-albums-misc-picture21443-local-raccoons.jpg

When he looked in the window Levi flew away. hehehe

Last edited:

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Thanks for sharing this. I love Levi. He's awesome!

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
I think I’d have scurried away as well! Awesome that Levi has such a good view outdoors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
I LOVE following Levi's exploits! Turns out I'd apparently missed the last few, so I was just treated to quite the bonanza! From the new perch, to his backpack outing, and now the survey of his kingdom behind the safety of his window. Levi's a smart boy, choosing discretion over valor when that raccoon came in for the closeup!

Speaking of which, what's up with the daytime sighting of nocturnal animals? What time was that video taken, Tami? Usually I worry about rabies with daytime raccoon sightings, but those two walking plush toys aren't exactly foaming at the mouth, are they? Lol! Still, be careful.

OP
Tami2

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
Thanks for sharing this. I love Levi. He's awesome!

Thank you so much Saxguy, I love Levi too ;)

I think I’d have scurried away as well! Awesome that Levi has such a good view outdoors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Lea, I took the screen out of that window, so he can have a better view. :)

I don't blame Levi.

I avoid Trash Pandas myself.

Ha :D I have never heard them called that. That is funny & true.

I LOVE following Levi's exploits! Turns out I'd apparently missed the last few, so I was just treated to quite the bonanza! From the new perch, to his backpack outing, and now the survey of his kingdom behind the safety of his window. Levi's a smart boy, choosing discretion over valor when that raccoon came in for the closeup!

Speaking of which, what's up with the daytime sighting of nocturnal animals? What time was that video taken, Tami? Usually I worry about rabies with daytime raccoon sightings, but those two walking plush toys aren't exactly foaming at the mouth, are they? Lol! Still, be careful.

Awww, thank you SuperMod Anansi, but you are very busy educating us as well as keeping the peace around here. I’m sure Levi will cut you a little slack if you aren’t current on his endeavors. ;)

Oh they are fine, no worries. They come around every night at 6:30 hoping to find some leftover bird seed. I guess they didn’t get the DST memo, and are still operating on EST.
I usually take in any extra bird seed. But, sometimes I forget & they get lucky.

OP
Tami2

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
"I'm just hanging out w/ Mom in the bathroom" :D

tami2-albums-levi-picture21449-levi-chillin-cabin.jpg

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Tami, I had completely missed this page until now! I love raccoons, how cool that they come to visit you! Levi must never get bored looking out the window, wow.

Most Reactions

Latest posts