ParkersMom

Jan 18, 2013
Nashville TN
Parrots
Parker male BF Amazon hatched 5/2/2012
Charlie unsexed BF Amazon hatched 1994?
Juno Female BH Caique Hatched 6-3-2013
I currently have an 8 month old BFA
and I am considering bringing home a Macaw and was wanting to get some opinions from people that already own them

plax

Banned
Banned
Jun 29, 2012
United States
Parrots
'Jack' (Blue & Gold),
'Maynard' (Military),
'Zaffer' (Hyacinth),
'Salsa' (Green-wing)
I currently have an 8 month old BFA
and I am considering bringing home a Macaw and was wanting to get some opinions from people that already own them
Opinions on whether or not a Macaw would get along with a BFA? Or?

MaraWentz

Banned
Banned
Mar 27, 2012
Media
St.Leonard, MD
Parrots
Red Front Macaw, Elvis, 10,male RIP

Red Front Macaw, Erin, 1.5,female

Goffin Cockatoo, Blossom 2,female Rehomed

Blue & Gold Macaw, Oscar, Male, 21 years old, Rehomed

American Bulldog Mix,
Macaws are fabulous! Great talkers, loooooveeeee affection and very easy to train due to food motivation. Of course, you will meet some birds who are one-person only (seemingly aggressive), or sex aggressive, but each bird is different and it is really due to how they are socialized, raised, and treated. I have found that the bigger the macaw the more affectionate, and same with noise level. Then again the noise amount has to do with how they're raised, although you can expect when they vocalize that it is too be louder as they are bigger (not to say more frequently- my RFM and B&G are NOT yellers, although my RFM did try the yelling stage around 2.3 years for a few months, but was trained not to). I do not find them to be very complex or hard to handle. My first bird was a RFM and fairly easy. I think people say they are for more experienced owners because the problems are bigger or more obvious- simply because they are bigger. It means more patience. A bigger bird means louder noises, bigger messes, stronger beaks, and stronger rough housing. Compared to a cockatiel they seem harder work, but its just the same work, same routine, but just from a bigger bird.

MaraWentz

Banned
Banned
Mar 27, 2012
Media
St.Leonard, MD
Parrots
Red Front Macaw, Elvis, 10,male RIP

Red Front Macaw, Erin, 1.5,female

Goffin Cockatoo, Blossom 2,female Rehomed

Blue & Gold Macaw, Oscar, Male, 21 years old, Rehomed

American Bulldog Mix,
Oh and I'm a bit biased, but I recommend the Red Front Macaw. They are the smallest of the large macaws, and have the playfulness, cuddliness, and goofiness of a larger macaw, but in a smaller size (but not a small parrot or tiny by any means), and some people say they are quieter, also they have amazing flight capability. I have owned two and have only met one RFM owner who says theirs' gives them trouble (but it was a rehomed RFM, so it probably wasn't treated the best or raised to the new owners liking). I have never read a bad article on them, only wonderful facts about them and experiences form owners. The only negative there is that they are high pitched, so kisses and happy squeals are more sensitive compared to other parrots.

Turquoise

Banned
Banned
Oct 23, 2012
West Texas
Parrots
2 Male Catalina Macaws~Roscoe & Angel, 1 Female Green Wing Macaw~Ruby Jewel, 1 Female Solomon Island Eclectus~Leyla Belle, 1 female Pineapple Green Cheek Conure~Peta, 8 Budgies
Welcome to the forum. Macaws are definitely worth the extra space & time. I had wanted to include a macaw to my life for many years. A Green Wing was my dream bird. I got my two hybrids as my first big boys & have not regretted one minute of choosing them. My dream bird will be coming home hopefully in mid Feb. That would be my little girl Green Wing & her breeder says she is especially cuddly.

So as a macaw owner I am a bit biased too, but they are my favorite parrot of any I currently own or have owned in my lifetime up to now. Good luck & I hope thY if a macaw is right for you that you find that perfect match for your flock.

Jlong1989

Mar 5, 2012
Fullerton,CA
Parrots
20 year old Congo African grey male
12 year old blue and gold macaw male
2 year old greenwing macaw
male
Breeding pair of rosey bourkes
Breeding pair of cockatiels
If you can afford it a hyacinth is the coolest and most affectionate macaw there is generally. If you can't consider a greenwing. I have one and all he wants to do is cuddle and play and also has a bouncy personality

Jlong1989

Mar 5, 2012
Fullerton,CA
Parrots
male
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358736159.726614.jpg
And how can you resist a face like this :)

plax

Banned
Banned
Jun 29, 2012
United States
Parrots
'Jack' (Blue & Gold),
'Maynard' (Military),
'Zaffer' (Hyacinth),
'Salsa' (Green-wing)
If you can afford it a hyacinth is the coolest and most affectionate macaw there is generally. If you can't consider a greenwing. I have one and all he wants to do is cuddle and play and also has a bouncy personality
I can't dispute any of that :D. My GW likes to hop and my Hy loves to cuddle :red1::blue:

Jlong1989

Mar 5, 2012
Fullerton,CA
Parrots
male
Yeah it's a bird store that I work at. He was still there handfeeding

Jlong1989

Mar 5, 2012
Fullerton,CA
Parrots
male
I can't dispute any of that :D. My GW likes to hop and my Hy loves to cuddle :red1::blue:

Yeah I want to get a hyacinth next but I also don't want to split my time with my gw lol

plax

Banned
Banned
Jun 29, 2012
United States
Parrots
'Jack' (Blue & Gold),
'Maynard' (Military),
'Zaffer' (Hyacinth),
'Salsa' (Green-wing)

Yeah I want to get a hyacinth next but I also don't want to split my time with my gw lol
Yep, I can easily understand that.

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fargo- Blue and Gold Macaw
Heyyy lets not forget about the amazing blue and gold ;) LOL
Cuddly, sweet, cheeky, playful, and incredibly intelligent, not that i'm biased :p haha :blue1:

Screenshot2013-01-13at82439PM_zps94dddd73.png

Screenshot2013-01-18at34108PM_zps75c92f02.png

Jlong1989

Mar 5, 2012
Fullerton,CA
Parrots
male
Lets just be honest you guys. Macaws are just awesome! Lol

plax

Banned
Banned
Jun 29, 2012
United States
Parrots
'Jack' (Blue & Gold),
'Maynard' (Military),
'Zaffer' (Hyacinth),
'Salsa' (Green-wing)
Heyyy lets not forget about the amazing blue and gold ;) LOL
Cuddly, sweet, cheeky, playful, and incredibly intelligent, not that i'm biased :p haha :blue1:
Hey Tab, we could never forget about B&Gs... especially the ones who are named Fargo and are amazingly gifted :D

Doves1

Banned
Banned
Aug 17, 2012
Canada
Parrots
Phoenix the Scarlet Macaw
I'm going to jump in there a mention the super sweet, cuddly, full of personality Scarlet Macaw's!

As has already been said be prepared for mess, noise, time consumption, money loss side of owning a Macaw. It is totally worth it though, you get just as many cuddles, laughs and wonderful days!

7Months_zps2f3c7685.jpg

plax

Banned
Banned
Jun 29, 2012
United States
Parrots
'Jack' (Blue & Gold),
'Maynard' (Military),
'Zaffer' (Hyacinth),
'Salsa' (Green-wing)
I'm going to jump in there a mention the super sweet, cuddly, full of personality Scarlet Macaw's!
I've always wanted a Scarlet in my flock. The right opportunity just hasn't come along. Scarlets are beautiful birds :)

94lt1

Nov 9, 2012
SouthEast TX
Parrots
Monte..Scarlet macaw, Seminole...yellow napped amazon, Starburst... sun conure...Rain, cinnamon green cheek.
Scarlets CAN be amazing. My scarlet was passed around from owner to owner, and that made him a mess. If you don't have this to contend with, they are easy to get bonded too. And you should jump at the chance to get one..

Monte was a handful. But I love him, probably more than if he were easy to get along with :) I like a challenge.

But I wouldn't trade him for all the band aids in a first aid kit ;)

Doves1

Banned
Banned
Aug 17, 2012
Canada
Parrots
Phoenix the Scarlet Macaw
Yup my Scarlet was a rescue from an abusive family but now that he's not scared any more he loves to cuddle and has bonded so well :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most Reactions

Latest posts