Thinking of getting a parrot but still researching.

Xeladore

Mar 12, 2022
Hi everyone. I recently became a little "bird crazy" and obsessed with the idea of having a lifelong birdy friend. I've waited around 4 months for this bizarre impulse to pass - "alas" my fascination has not waned since.

I'm not quite ready for a bird right now (in terms of finances, certainty of future living arrangements etc.) but it's something I want to work towards and, in the meantime, figure out what sort of parrot I'd like - or at least be armed with as much information as possible to make that decision in future.

About me: I live in Western Australia and am a homebody uni student.
Experience with birds: I had a cockatiel and budgies as a kid (bought for me when I was 7) but when they got sick my parents told me that the vet wouldn't treat birds. The taming advice given by the pet store back then was to "let it bite you until he gets tired of it" - which produced possibly the most aggressive cockatiel in history - fortunately (likely because I was less keen on pushing him to the point of getting my fingers mauled) he did bond with me and I eventually gained his trust enough to give him neck scratches which is one of my happiest memories - even though he drew blood with other family members. While it was a rewarding experience- a lot of mistakes were made and I wish I knew more and had more control over the situation than I did - but I was a kid and that's life.

I've researched a fair bit but still have many questions which I'll soon be annoying you all with.

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Hi everyone. I recently became a little "bird crazy" and obsessed with the idea of having a lifelong birdy friend. I've waited around 4 months for this bizarre impulse to pass - "alas" my fascination has not waned since.

I'm not quite ready for a bird right now (in terms of finances, certainty of future living arrangements etc.) but it's something I want to work towards and, in the meantime, figure out what sort of parrot I'd like - or at least be armed with as much information as possible to make that decision in future.

About me: I live in Western Australia and am a homebody uni student.
Experience with birds: I had a cockatiel and budgies as a kid (bought for me when I was 7) but when they got sick my parents told me that the vet wouldn't treat birds. The taming advice given by the pet store back then was to "let it bite you until he gets tired of it" - which produced possibly the most aggressive cockatiel in history - fortunately (likely because I was less keen on pushing him to the point of getting my fingers mauled) he did bond with me and I eventually gained his trust enough to give him neck scratches which is one of my happiest memories - even though he drew blood with other family members. While it was a rewarding experience- a lot of mistakes were made and I wish I knew more and had more control over the situation than I did - but I was a kid and that's life.

I've researched a fair bit but still have many questions which I'll soon be annoying you all with.
Feel free to ask me any bird-care questions! :)
Here on this forum, we don't mind helping people.

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Xeladore, bravo to you for doing your research and planning. That's the best anyone here could hope for, and it's why we're here. We have lots of knowledgeable, experienced members, always happy to help and answer questions. Never be afraid to ask, because there's likely others out there with the same questions too. So glad you found us here in our little corner of the parrot world :)

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Welcome Xeladore,
You made me laugh with your fight club training your tiel...
My advice, have a digital kitchen scale and weigh your bird the day you get, and then weekly for life and log. This is one if the greatest and nearly only tool we have to pick up health issues early . As nearly all birds will begin loosing weight when sick and caught early by weight they are easy go treat and recover. Has saved my birds lives.

When you hear birds hide being sick, its true. Its hard wired in their evolution and not a choice. So when we see what we think are classic " sick bird" symptoms of fluffy not moving, eating only a little, sleeping all the time on the bottom of cage not perching ....they are near death and its an emergency.

Ok, lord, i just started off dark didn't I? It saves lives yo talk about tho.

This is a great all around article and cover many things , behavior , like night flights, bites, screaming..

Most Reactions