Throwing up?

aufde

Apr 27, 2011
Today Yoshi threw up. He bobbed his head like he does sometimes then food came up. It was the consistency of his poop, not liquidy like I thought it would be. It smelled bad to me, but I could tell it smelled like the food he eats so I'm not sure if it was from his crop or actual puke. When it came out, he close his beak and shook his head so it went everywhere. I he seems fine otherwise, his poop is normal, there's no discharge from his nostrils and is acting normal. I have been trying to switch him over to new food, and today is the first time he's even touched the new food. So maybe the new food made his stomach upset. I'm trying to switch from Zupreem fruit pellets to the natural ones.

MaraWentz

Banned
Banned
Mar 27, 2012
Media
St.Leonard, MD
Parrots
Red Front Macaw, Elvis, 10,male RIP

Red Front Macaw, Erin, 1.5,female

Goffin Cockatoo, Blossom 2,female Rehomed

Blue & Gold Macaw, Oscar, Male, 21 years old, Rehomed

American Bulldog Mix,
If youre not 100% sure its not from the crop schedule an appt. Foul smelling vomit from the crop is a very bad sign

DebsFlock

Banned
Banned
Jul 19, 2012
Los Angeles County, near Palmdale
Parrots
Scooter -- male Green Cheek Conure "Normal" but that's a matter of opinion! Hatched in March 2010

Scotty -- Male Cape Parrot hatched somewhere between 2007-2009 we think

Caballo Blanco -- male C
Was he with you when it happened? Is there any evidence of other material in the cage? If you have reason to believe it's behavioral/regurgitation that's one thing, but vomiting is another. Our 'tiel had several bouts of vomiting when given a deworming medicine and he wound up looking pretty sick. Fortunately it improved after we discontinued the med.

I've not heard of dietary changes causing vomiting, but I could imagine it could, especially if there was an intolerance to an ingredient. Did yo change the food all at once, or mix it with the old food?

BTW pellets should not smell "bad" they should smell like grains. Are you sure the bag of pellets was fresh?

OP
aufde

aufde

Apr 27, 2011
There's a 24/7 hospital nearby that is certified to treat birds so I'm heading out right now and I'll let you know how it goes.

MaraWentz

Banned
Banned
Mar 27, 2012
Media
St.Leonard, MD
Parrots

American Bulldog Mix,
Keep us updated. I hope all is well and maybe its just a bad reaction to the new food. Better to be safe than sorry. Good luck!

DebsFlock

Banned
Banned
Jul 19, 2012
Los Angeles County, near Palmdale
Parrots
Scooter -- male Green Cheek Conure "Normal" but that's a matter of opinion! Hatched in March 2010

Scotty -- Male Cape Parrot hatched somewhere between 2007-2009 we think

Caballo Blanco -- male C
Hope Yoshi is A-OK, do let us know!

MollyGreenCheeks

Jan 16, 2012
Media
Albums
Arizona, USA
Parrots
Molly - GCC, Cody - GCC, Gracie - Congo African Grey
Sounds to me like regurgitation. I know the first time I saw Molly do it I about freaked out. Better safe than sorry!

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
Hope it's nothing serious. Update us please! Good luck!

OP
aufde

aufde

Apr 27, 2011
The vet hospital I went to was an emergency hospital and the doctor there wasn't an avian vet, but she sounded like she knew what she was looking for. She looked him over and said he looks fine as far as she could tell. She referred me to another vet clinic that would be able to run the right tests and check him out more thoroughly and I'm going to make an appointment tomorrow.

I have been mixing his food over the last week or so, but he never touched the new pellets. Today, he ate a couple because there was no more of his old food in the dish.

I'm pretty sure it only happened the one time while he was out of his cage with me. I didn't see anything in his cage that would make me think he did it more.

The pellets are fresh, they're the fruit blend so they smell kind of fruity but not bad. What he threw up, smelled similar, but not the same. It was a little stinky.

I'll definitely keep you updated with his next appointment, but I feel better now that he's been looked at.

OP
aufde

aufde

Apr 27, 2011
Just got back from my appointment. They swabbed his crop and looked at it and found nothing out of the ordinary. They looked at a stool sample and said there was a little bit too much bacteria and wanted to put him on an antibiotic for the bad bacteria and a pro biotic for the good bacteria for 2 weeks.

One thing that this vet pointed out was the food I was trying to get Yoshi to switch to, I got from a bulk dispenser and they may or may not be keeping fresh food in there. She said sometimes bacteria can grow in the bulk dispensers from neglect. So I will be buying bagged pellets from now on since that may have been what cause the incident.

Otherwise, the vet didn't find anything wrong with him! I feel much better now :)

Lovelyloribeth

Jul 15, 2012
Georgia
Parrots
💙ChiChi~GCC~2 yrs.💙
💚Red~IRN~4 mos.💚

💛Houdini~Sun Conure~2 yrs.💛
Good to hear he's going to be ok. I've never heard of. Ulk bird food dispensers. And especially not pellets. That just don't sound right to me. Maybe you should let the store know you bought the food from. So they won't be neglectful if it was the problem to begin with.

Keep us posted. So glad he's ok!

MaraWentz

Banned
Banned
Mar 27, 2012
Media
St.Leonard, MD
Parrots

American Bulldog Mix,
So glad he is okay and its just a little bacteria he shoukd be better in no time. I never thought of getting bagged pellets. We were using the bulk dispenser so we could buy enough that shewill eatthem all but not too many theyd go bad. I guess I had it backwards. Glad he is okay though.

Most Reactions