Tiel's diet

JimsBrother

Supporting Member
Mar 3, 2022
Parrots
Uncle to Bebee
and Amy
What do you guys do for a regular diet for your Tiel? Seems like seeds and pellets is all my brother gave his BB. And a bit of millet. They just peck, right?

Dave

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Not just seeds (in moderation) and pellets. You’ll also need to feed chop, which is basically a bird salad. We have plenty of recipes here.
Good start though! Good luck, David 🙂

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
What do you guys do for a regular diet for your Tiel? Seems like seeds and pellets is all my brother gave his BB. And a bit of millet. They just peck, right?

Dave
For the dried foods...

Some seeds(15-25%)(Seeds such as sunflower should be fed as treats only due to high fat content), some pellets(15-25%)(TOP's, Harrisons or roydtbush if fine), some grains(5-10%), a small amount of nuts(5% or less), and(optional) dried herbs, spices, flowers, and/or dried/freeze dried vegetables.

For the fresh foods...
Veggies(majority of fresh foods should be veg), fruit(only 10% or less, if Beeb's doesn't like fruit, it's fine), and other foods like egg(only once a week or less), herbs, etc etc.

(about half dry food and half fresh foods, although mostly fresh is better. I give my cockatiel about 2/3 fresh and I could see her health and feather quality improve greatly than giving 50/50)

OP
JimsBrother

JimsBrother

Supporting Member
Mar 3, 2022
Parrots
Uncle to Bebee
and Amy
Thanks, Pipp that helps a lot.

I've inherited a Tiel (BeBe) from my recently deceased brother. What I have currently for food is this -
ZuPreem fruit blend
Natural (same brand)
A few different flavors of something called Bistro, which apparently needs to be cooked
and a bit of "Rising Phoenix" which appears to be herbs and flowers.

I know about chop, as my brother did make that.

Dave

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)

I've inherited a Tiel (BeBe) from my recently deceased brother. What I have currently for food is this -
ZuPreem fruit blend
Natural (same brand)
A few different flavors of something called Bistro, which apparently needs to be cooked

Dave
My favorite pellet brands are Harrison’s, Top’s, and Roudybush. Many bird owners are against Zupreem, especially the Fruitblend, because it has added sugar and artificial colors.

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie

ZuPreem fruit blend
Natural (same brand)

Dave
ZuPreem fruit blend isn't the best choice because(as stated above) it containans sugar and artificial flavourings and colourings. Now the reason sugar isn't healthy, is because high levels of sugar can cause hormonal behaviour, and issues like diabetes or obesity. Colourings aren't healthy as:

1. It can change the colour of the droppings, making it hard to tell illnesses.

2. It can potentially be dangerous.

Natural ZuPreem is a LOT better than fruit blend as it has no colourings/flavourings, but it's still not the best choice.

-Anè

OP
JimsBrother

JimsBrother

Supporting Member
Mar 3, 2022
Parrots
Uncle to Bebee
and Amy
So I'm going to make some chop tomorrow. I'll make 2 versions of it, one coarsely chopped for Amy the Amazon and another finely chopped for Beebs. Brother Jim used to pulse grind BB's stuff, which seems like a plan.

I'm starting out simple - I have
A big red bell pepper
A jalapeno pepper
Carrots
Celery, including the leaves
Some quinoa
Some sesame seeds.

AFAIK a Tiel needs seeds more so than an amazon, so I'll accommodate that. Also, does the grain get cooked, or used raw?

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
BB can eat anything the Amazon does, lots if lists with burd safe veggies, leafy greens ect.
Some tips

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
So I'm going to make some chop tomorrow. I'll make 2 versions of it, one coarsely chopped for Amy the Amazon and another finely chopped for Beebs. Brother Jim used to pulse grind BB's stuff, which seems like a plan.

I'm starting out simple - I have
A big red bell pepper
A jalapeno pepper
Carrots
Celery, including the leaves
Some quinoa
Some sesame seeds.

AFAIK a Tiel needs seeds more so than an amazon, so I'll accommodate that. Also, does the grain get cooked, or used raw?
I like to throw rolled oats into my chop - its cheap, the birds seem to like it, and you don’t have to cook it (and if you freeze your chop it absorbs a lot of the extra moisture when you warm it back up). If it’s something like a whole grain pasta, you’ll probably want to cook it.

You can cook the quinoa. I used cooked quinoa in my last chop mix, and I think I’ve thrown it in raw before but if I recall correctly it’s bitter when uncooked or something similar.

As for what grains you can use, etc, this post from I Love Amazons is really rad and I reference it all the time when I’m out shopping for my ‘zon (and I used to have a tiel too!):

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Can he chow down on big pieces or do I have to grind it?
Big pieces are fine. I offer all sizes to mine. Whole leaves of leafy greens, chunks, halved, cubed , Shreded veggies I offer lots of different ways. Your BB will hsve no issues nibbling on large pieces some parrots prefer this, some like small hunks they can pick up ( cockatiels don't usually pick up food with feet)

I find offer on shallow wide dishes ir plates spread out helps, and offering out if cage. Ir use burd skewer or Shish kabob stick ( cut or blunt pointy ends) and hang at beak heights , sometimes even stuffed in cage bars

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
Most avian vets recommend Harrisons. The Rb has eaten it for over 30 years. I just order it so I don't have to sorry about expiration dates in stores.
I just grin myself silly every time I see a post from you, Dave-o!

Most Reactions

Latest posts