Need Advice for Cockatiel Feeding!

jeg01

Mar 29, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
Hi everyone, a week ago my girlfriend and I bought a Cockatiel who was seven weeks old (now eight). We were told by the breeders that he was weaned, and so we purchased him. Two days after we purchased him he began to make the โ€œradio static screech,โ€ which we learned meant that he was hungry.

Our problem is that the breeders only fed him millet, and so itโ€™s all that he wants to eat. We know only eating millet is not healthy for him, so we are encouraging him to eat other foods, which he will do if we encourage him. We've been feeding him a ground pellet paste and some vegetables and pretend to eat the food, and this works temporarily but he quickly gets bored. He can, however, eat an entire stock of millet in a single sitting.

To stop his millet addiction we only give him millet at the end of the day and spend the rest of the day trying to get him to eat pellets and vegetables. He continues to screech whenever weโ€™re nearby, however, so my question is are we going about this properly? We donโ€™t want him to go hungry, but we also donโ€™t want him to only eat millet. We weighed him recently, and he is slightly underweight. Does anyone have any ideas? Should we just continue to feed him millet?

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
2 female budgies i have a green named tofu she is 1 years old(she turned one years old in April) and i have a blue budgie named sky she is the younger one she is younger then tofu by a few days
Try this
1. take his millet and add some water on them
2. Grind some pellets until they are like salt
3. Add the grinned e pellets onto the wet millet
and give it to him the grinded pellet would stick on the millet
so he will eat millet and pellets

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month ๐Ÿ†
Feb 20, 2022
Try this
1. take his millet and add some water on them
2. Grind some pellets until they are like salt
3. Add the grinned e pellets onto the wet millet
and give it to him the grinded pellet would stick on the millet
so he will eat millet and pellets
Ooh I might try this on my bird's seed mix, thank you for the idea.

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
2 female budgies i have a green named tofu she is 1 years old(she turned one years old in April) and i have a blue budgie named sky she is the younger one she is younger then tofu by a few days
Your welcome

Most Reactions