Lysh87

Sep 7, 2021
Parrots
2 love birds
Hi everyone, me again! I’m looking for help with another question. I’ve been really struggling to find safe rope to use for toys for my new lovebirds. I came across a way to make twine out of tissue paper. Is this a safe option or is it toxic/harmful?

BirdAddictK

Sep 26, 2021
Well, if you're asking about using tissue paper, we'll yes, they are definitely safe for birds.

One thing's for sure, cotton rope is not safe for birds NOT safe for birds to chew. Now, some birds don't chew on them and some birds will chew on them. But you never know which could happen bc if you buy those rope boings or swings made of cotton rope and your bird does chew on it, then you're gonna have to throw it out, so it will end up being a waste of money. So, I recommend never buying cotton rope toys.

Ropes which are safe for birds, which you can most definitely use are jute and sisal and seagrass kind of materials. It is even okay for birds to chew on. So, if you wabt rope products go for the materials mentioned above.

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
Well, if you're asking about using tissue paper, we'll yes, they are definitely safe for birds.

One thing's for sure, cotton rope is not safe for birds NOT safe for birds to chew. Now, some birds don't chew on them and some birds will chew on them. But you never know which could happen bc if you buy those rope boings or swings made of cotton rope and your bird does chew on it, then you're gonna have to throw it out, so it will end up being a waste of money. So, I recommend never buying cotton rope toys.

Ropes which are safe for birds, which you can most definitely use are jute and sisal and seagrass kind of materials. It is even okay for birds to chew on. So, if you wabt rope products go for the materials mentioned above.
you can rap the cotton ropes is vet rap its safe for birds if they chew on it (if the chew on the vet rap not the cotton) so you wont have to throw it away

Skarila

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
2021 Parrot of the Year πŸ†
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
✻Csillam the rescued budgie
✻Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
✻Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
✻RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
What you can do is get cotton ropes and wrap it with vet tape and change it every fee weeks.
you can rap the cotton ropes is vet rap its safe for birds if they chew on it (if the chew on the vet rap not the cotton) so you wont have to throw it away
This is the most common solution, I personally use Kinesiology tapes instead as vet tapes aren't available in my country and it's way too expensive to order (US wins again!). Idea is to have it changed every few weeks as even those tapes will start to fray and get picked on by the parrot. Been using it for over a year, never had any issues, And my birds are muuuuch less prone picking at the perch.

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
What you can do is get cotton ropes and wrap it with vet tape and change it every fee weeks.
This is the most common solution, I personally use Kinesiology tapes instead as vet tapes aren't available in my country and it's way too expensive to order (US wins again!). Idea is to have it changed every few weeks as even those tapes will start to fray and get picked on by the parrot. Been using it for over a year, never had any issues, And my birds are muuuuch less prone picking at the perch
excatly!

OP
L

Lysh87

Sep 7, 2021
Parrots
2 love birds

Thank you! I felt nervous about any ropes so I was planning on just sticking with sage paper kinds

moon1964

Jun 8, 2018
Washington
Parrots
double yellow-head amazon...Angel
blue-front amazon...Blue
i buy the rope things just for them to chew up....keeps them busy and they leave the wood perches alone most of the time lol

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Have you tried natural twine? That's what I use.

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
I buy it at Michaels Craft Sore.

I found a variety of good things there, including a large natural grapevine wreath for only 5 dollars. I boiled it of course, no one knows where it's been, but my budgies love it. It could probably fit an IRN, but they have bigger sizes that could fit an Amazon or a small Macaw. There's tons of good stuff there!

moon1964

Jun 8, 2018
Washington
Parrots
double yellow-head amazon...Angel
blue-front amazon...Blue
I'll take a look thanks.. my female spends a ton of time on the floor of her cage so i put a hanging rope down there so she doesn't chew apart the bottom of the cage. she's very hormonal right now

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
I'll take a look thanks.. my female spends a ton of time on the floor of her cage so i put a hanging rope down there so she doesn't chew apart the bottom of the cage. she's very hormonal right now
It's always tough when birds are hormonal, make sure she gets 12-14 hours of undisturbed sleep and has nothing to burrow in, no sleeping tents or boxes, even easter grass.

Most Reactions

Latest posts