to cold for budgie?

brynn.budgies

Oct 13, 2023
Parrots
Muffin (budgie)
(rest peaceful Kiwi)
I have been really anxious about anything that could go wrong with muffin and the number one thing on my mind lately is temperature, I live in my basement and its pretty cold down there in the winters, I have only had him since August and it's getting onto November, so the first good snowfall was 2 days ago and it got really cold down there, I keep a heater on in the day, bit at night it can get to around 60°F ( about 16°C) and I really don't want him to get to cold. I've looked into heated perches, but I don't know if I'm willing to spend 50$ on one if there are other options and I don't even know if they would be a good choice. I'm really worried and would appreciate some help, thanks!

Thehuffle

Oct 20, 2023
Media
Parrots
Huffle the grey Quaker parrot, poe the white & blue budgie, 2 breeding cockatiels
2 conures.
Hi your budgie should be alright but have you thought of maybe getting a cage cover? It might give a little warmth when he/she is in the cage depending on the length. Hope this helps!

OP
brynn.budgies

brynn.budgies

Oct 13, 2023
Parrots
Muffin (budgie)
(rest peaceful Kiwi)
Hi your budgie should be alright but have you thought of maybe getting a cage cover? It might give a little warmth when he/she is in the cage depending on the length. Hope this helps!
I do actually cover his cage at night, but it's only with a sheet. thank you for the re assurance though! 😁

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I do actually cover his cage at night, but it's only with a sheet. thank you for the re assurance though! 😁
As long as there's no draft a budgie can tolerate a temperature of about 60F just fine. I looked at the climate map of Australia, their native habitat, and nighttime temps often get quite a bit cooler than that. Remember, they have lots of nice warm feathers and an underlayer of down to trap the warm air and stay toasty. It's easier for a budgie to keep warm in cool weather than stay cool in very hot weather.

Most Reactions

Latest posts