to mirror or not to mirror?

birdiemama

May 11, 2020
Las Vegas
Parrots
Doobie, a Pineapple Green Cheek Conure baby about 6 weeks old (on May 11, 2020)
To mirror, or not to mirror? That is the question.
My conure is just over 3 months old, fully weaned. He's a velcro bird! Always wants to be ON me - especially my head! (just where I don't want him!)

I have never used a mirror for any of my past birds and they have all bonded to me. Doobie shows only minimal interest in the "birdie in the mirror" in the bathroom, but only gets a peek every now and then. I worry about him though because I am gone for so long during the late afternoon and into the night. Doobie is usually out of the cage for a minimum of 3 hours every day before work, and again when I come home and he wants to be on/with me all the time, everywhere, always! This is usually fine, but he is a very active and curious little bird!

I am a little concerned because he is a major attention hog, and quite insistent about it. I don't mind him being my buddy, but now he is trying to feed my hand when he gets scratchies! Is this normal? When I set him on my desk and he is cupped in my hand with my thumb scratching his neck, he has discovered that his foot can also 'give him pleasure', and he seems to go into ecstasyville! Then he tries to regurgitate food. It's kind of cute but I need to know if this is the beginning of a problem. I am pretty careful to only scratch his head and neck only.

Would a mirror in the cage discourage, encourage, or have not effect on this behavior? Comments from anybody welcome, and thanks.

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
I'd be strongly inclined to recommend Against a mirror for a Young bird.

As far as the behavior you're describing, it seems to me as being normal for a young Conure. As far as regurgitating - I have since read elsewhere that it can be simple bonding, and not-necessarily mating; however when I got my Sunny I understood it to represent a hormonal behavior and thus to be discouraged. (The simple, & boringly un-exciting removal of my hand when she would start regurg-movements was enough discouragement to quickly stop her regurgings entirely.)

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Mirrors in cages are one of those things that in the past were done, especially with small parrots, like budgies and cockatiels, thru lack of understanding the behavior they can instill. Current understanding is that its not a healthy thing to do, psychologically. As I am sure you have been reading.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
no mirrors- you can stop the velcro thing by adjusting your behavior as well

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
My Conure ignores it.

It seems to be that birds either ignore them or become obsessed, and if they ignore it, there is no point and if they become obsessed, it is harmful to their development.

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
My budgie was obsessed about her mirror. She was sitting there 24/7 except small breaks for eating and drinking. She also laid 2 eggs and finally died. Summary: I don't recommend any mirrors and none of our current fids have them

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
If he has been to a vet and you are sure that this is regurgitation (and not vomiting) then feeding the hand thing means he really likes you but between that and his masturbation (assuming, again, that a vet has verified health), this does sound like something that you need to get under control before he really reaches full-on puberty (in adults it is sexual, and while he is not adult, he is showing signs of hormones/sexuality...3 months is young..so that is why I emphasize the vet because sometimes they will mess with their vents if they have an infection). The regurgitation sounds situational enough that it is likely NOT vomiting (and if it isn't already sexual, it is mating/sexual behavior for an adult)...the foot could be related to hormones or a health issue...but either way, regurgitation etc are not things you want to encourage in any age of bird.

If it is hormones (the start of them, I should say), don't want to attend to it and you want to change the subject nicely when it happens. You also want to stop triggering it--I know petting on the head and neck is USUALLY safe, but if he is going to town with his foot and also regurgitating when you pet his head, I'd pet a little less for now.... Here's a link to a post with a bunch of advice that could help with your needy bird problem (it's the second reply to the original that I think you should read)

http://www.parrotforums.com/conures/86438-separation-issues.html

see above

Mirrors are very well-known hormonal triggers in those who attend to them, and that is the last thing you want right now.

Last edited:
OP
B

birdiemama

May 11, 2020
Las Vegas
Parrots
today, in fact just now, i looked at him in his cage and he is in the ecstacy pose with his foot on his neck - tranced out! it doesn't last a long time, but i don't need to be there for him to use his foot! most of the time he just wants to be on my shoulder or running around on the desk destroying stuff! lol
btw - i have decided NO mirror. apparently he doesn't need one!

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
today, in fact just now, i looked at him in his cage and he is in the ecstacy pose with his foot on his neck - tranced out! it doesn't last a long time, but i don't need to be there for him to use his foot! most of the time he just wants to be on my shoulder or running around on the desk destroying stuff! lol

This is what I thought you meant by his foot "give him pleasure." (Rather than a more, *ahem*, self-stimulatory meaning.)

THAT is why I said this behavior is really common for many Conures.

My Sunny will get a look of Pure Bliss while drinking orange juice (rarely!). Ive seen the same look at other times. Sometimes when I've gotten her scritches "Just Right." More often, after she has cajoled my hand into just the right position on her perch so that she can lean herself at a perfect angle to foot-scritch herself "Just-So." Her Look of Ecstasy is the reward She uses to Train Me into holding my arm in ridiculously uncomfortable positions while she self-absorbedly floufs her little feathers, whether with beak or with one foot (or, with both feet!).

The thing about the scratching, it's not like a dog scratching fleas. Think more of a cat licking its fur smooth. In other words, it's about grooming. Those beautiful feathers need to be maintained in perfect, flight-ready condition! Also, as new pinfeathers come in, they are uncomfortable. There's a hard sheath that needs removed - but - not too soon - and, must be removed Gently. And as new feathers/down come in they are pushing old feathers out. Which also get uncomfortable, and also need removed. There is preening with the beak, and then there is using the foot for that purpose.

If your conure feels comfortable leaning on or against you, thus freeing his little foot (or even both little footsies!) for preening-use, to give himself the exact scritches he wants, I'd suggest you take it as a sign of loving trust.

:)

Last edited:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots

This is what I thought you meant by his foot "give him pleasure." (Rather than a more, *ahem*, self-stimulatory meaning.)

THAT is why I said this behavior is really common for many Conures.

My Sunny will get a look of Pure Bliss while drinking orange juice (rarely!). Ive seen the same look at other times. Sometimes when I've gotten her scritches "Just Right." More often, after she has cajoled my hand into just the right position on her perch so that she can lean herself at a perfect angle to foot-scritch herself "Just-So." Her Look of Ecstasy is the reward She uses to Train Me into holding my arm in ridiculously uncomfortable positions while she self-absorbedly floufs her little feathers, whether with beak or with one foot (or, with both feet!).

The thing about the scratching, it's not like a dog scratching fleas. Think more of a cat licking its fur smooth. In other words, it's about grooming. Those beautiful feathers need to be maintained in perfect, flight-ready condition! Also, as new pinfeathers come in, they are uncomfortable. There's a hard sheath that needs removed - but - not too soon - and, must be removed Gently. And as new feathers/down come in they are pushing old feathers out. Which also get uncomfortable, and also need removed. There is preening with the beak, and then there is using the foot for that purpose.

If your conure feels comfortable leaning on or against you, thus freeing his little foot (or even both little footsies!) for preening-use, to give himself the exact scritches he wants, I'd suggest you take it as a sign of loving trust.

:)
Lol- well that's a difference then lol! I thought he was scratching his vent or rubbing it on things and doing this...I misunderstood.

OP
B

birdiemama

May 11, 2020
Las Vegas
Parrots
Yes, it is the foot on the neck. It's actually kinda cute - that ecstatic trance look. This is usually followed by trying to feed my hand. I do take it as an act of trust and acceptance.

Most Reactions