Sun Conure cage

SamBeben

May 8, 2019
Parrots
African Grey, Moustached Parakeet
Hey all!!!

We got our sun conure a new cage and with the old one he came out all the time. Now he won't come out, we leave his door open all day and are not near him and he still wont come out. I want to start training him but he's aggressive in the cage so how do I get him out?

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
Does he have a favored food that you can put outside to tempt him? Otherwise you might have to wait until he’s ready to come out - if you force him out, it would likely set back his training (it sounds like he might be new to your household?).

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Your conure may have become cage aggressive as part of the acclimation process - assuming nothing else has changed. Do you have a portable playpen with holders for food? Try placing it a reasonable distance from the new cage and show him favorite treats being placed for his pleasure. If not quick response, may have to remove food from the cage for a short time. The goal is to entice, not starve into submission.

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
Is the old cage nearby / visible? ( I wonder if he is afraid to come out fearing whether THis cage might go away too.) IF so, and IF possible, perhaps bringing the old cage back and leaving them Both open / available might help. Does he have all his toys (or most-favorite toys) from old cage?

With my birds, every time I transitioned to an upgraded cage, they watched me assemble, and watched/"helped" me move their furnishings & toys. Was he able to do this? (IF not - back to my first suggestion of bringing back other cage nearby, maybe re-distributing one or two toys / perches back to the one and then the other --temporarily-- and, obviously, only if this does not seem to upset him more.)

Most Reactions

Latest posts