Tongue wagging...

BrUiNsKiTTeN

Jul 9, 2020
From what I have read, it is normal behaviour, but sonny lately has had his mouth open and tongue moving all the time. It looks like a dog panting. It's funny and cute but looks a little out of place. Anyone got the same?

Alembic772

May 13, 2020
Spring Hill, FL
Parrots
Basil - 22yr male SI Eclectus
River - male GCC
Nemo - female BCC - handicapped
Summer - female pineapple gcc
Rainbow - male yellow side gcc
Lando - male black headed caique
Paprika - female SI eclectu
Can you video it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alembic772

May 13, 2020
Spring Hill, FL
Parrots
Basil - 22yr male SI Eclectus
River - male GCC
Nemo - female BCC - handicapped
Summer - female pineapple gcc
Rainbow - male yellow side gcc
Lando - male black headed caique
Paprika - female SI eclectu
I have never seen ours do exactly this. I will defer to others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B

BrUiNsKiTTeN

Jul 9, 2020
It is very hot here. 41c with the humidex, so that could be it. All the babies have fresh cold water though. It just seems odd lol the parrotlet doesn't do anything of the sort

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
It's telling me I can't watch it-- try making it a semi-private youtube video and posting the link. A bird that is too hot will sometimes hold wings away from its body and breathe with an open mouth..the thing is, you don't ever want to blow a draft on a bird directly, so cooling them down has to be gradual.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
I DO NOT HAVE A CONURE----DISCLAIMER---
Does he always do that when perched? If so, I would suggest a vet just to be sure--he is moving his tongue enough that it is causing his tail to bob (which can be normal with that sort of movement) but it does seem a bit odd if it is happening all the time. It could be some sort of sexual/regurgitation thing if it happens only around certain people, but it would be best to verify...If he only does this when certain people are around, I would read it as a sexual invitation, like, "oh look at me, I like you and I am so nice....maybe this could lead to more?" If it IS only happening around you, I would encourage the rest of your family to strengthen their trust/bonds etc with him in an effort to avoid becoming his one and only!

My cockatoo does a bit of this when I pet her (like a "lovey" thing) or if she is trying to be sweet, but yours is really going to town lol--I just would double check if I were you..seems like it could be related to sex, but I am not certain.

Last edited:
OP
B

BrUiNsKiTTeN

Jul 9, 2020
It's just been lately. He's still his cuddly normal cheeky conure self lol

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
cuddly could mean sexy....
But truth me told, I have no earthly idea.

Last edited:

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
Probably not the same thing, but Skittles does this when he's thirsty. He sticks out his tongue and wags it up and down rapidly. He also does it when I pee in the toilet, fill up a glass of liquid or do the wag myself.

Most Reactions