Traumatic Vet Visit Today

bpenniman

Mar 31, 2015
Milwaukee, WI
Parrots
Budgie-Lucinda
Blue-Fronted Amazon-Lucy
Lucy went to the vet because she had a seizure like episode. They did tests and had to look down her throat. She was screaming the whole time in agony. It was very hard to watch. After she got back in her carrier, she was just shaking and shaking. I brought her home and she started pulling out feathers. I don't ever want to take her to the vet again. She had a horrible time last time with the wing clipping. I'm supposed to take her back for a blood test for seizures, but I know it's going to be very hard. I hated seeing her in that much pain. She is still traumatized and wants to be around me constantly. I really don't want to take her back to the vet again.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
That is so hard :( unfortunately she NEEDS to see a vet if she is having seizures. Is there a mobile vet in your area who can come to your home and take the blood? Is there a reason she didn't have the blood drawn today? Also,what kind of bird is she?

OP
B

bpenniman

Mar 31, 2015
Milwaukee, WI
Parrots
Budgie-Lucinda
Blue-Fronted Amazon-Lucy
I live in a rural area so there's no mobile vet. The vet said he needed fresh blood to send to wherever it goes, and it's a Friday. And I really wish I didn't have to take her again. She's a blue-fronted Amazon.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
It is traumatizing for many birds to go to the vet. However, seizures are a serious enough situation you NEED to find out whats going on. It won't work for her next visit, seeing as it needs to be done ASAP, but you can start working with her at home to train her to accept being toweled. That will take months probably to slowly introduce her and get her used to it, but in the long term, it's a worthwhile venture. You can then bring the "safe" towel to the vet (which she is used to) and of course, her favorite treats to reward her afterwards. And of course, you should also work on socialization too. But that all takes time. In the short term, however, she will just have to deal with the stress. One immediate thing you may be able to do I can think of- Our old vet (not avian, but was the only one within a 2 hour drive who would see birds) used to let you sit in the exam room for a while before the vet/vet tech came in. I'm not sure if it was he was busy or intentional, but it gave you the chance to calm your bird down a bit rather than going straight from the stressful waiting room full of unfamiliar people/animals to being manhandled by strangers. He also let you have a few minutes to calm your bird down after the exam/tests before you packed them up to go home. It made it at least less stressful and gave the bird a break between stressors. Perhaps your vet would let you try this when you take her in for her blood test?

Last edited:

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Did you inform the vet that Lucy just recently laid an egg?

I doubt Lucy screamed from pain, but rather to show her displeasure. Amazon can get quite vocal when something is done they don't like.

I whole heartedly agree that these tests should not be put off.

Most Reactions

Latest posts