claireby13

Apr 29, 2013
Parrots
Tiko the Pale-headed Rosella
Blugar the Budgerigar
I have found that my parrot is much calmer when mentally stimulated, especially when he is in the progress of learning tricks. As such, he has many tricks and I am running out of ideas!
He has learnt:
- step up
- target
-spin around
-wave
-"drop object into bowl" (there really is no catchy name although I have named the cue 'retrieve')
-kiss
-dance

I have a few tricks up my sleeve (clever pun, hey?) still, but I will definitely soon run out. He is always very eager to learn and learns very quickly, unfortunately; I believe I am the only bird trainer to ever have said that.
I am currently working on him to show his wings, the 'eagle' trick. However, he does not tolerate any handling so I have to do it a bit differently.

I am also planning on getting him used to touches on his feet and beak via cues, and also taking a bow. Any ideas on how I would do this- perhaps by targeting below his head so he has to bend?

If anyone has any other tricks that are rather basic in that they don't require uncommon props, they would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Jtbirds

Banned
Banned
Mar 6, 2013
Pennsylvania
Saying words on command, recall flight if you allow it. Rolling over on his back on command common cue is roll over obviously, play dead, my greenwing I say pow and out a finger gun up to him and he dies... There's a few see what others have to say and I will write down more these are just off the top of my head...:p.

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
Fetch is a good one, put him on his training perch and have a small bowl(one that will make a good clank when a item is dropped into it). Give him an item and hold the bowl right underneath him, the item will drop in when he drops it(if he moves around just move the bowl with him). Once he understands that start moving the bowl slightly to the left and right. Get further and further away so he has to stretch his head.

After he has this down and is great you can move to a table set up. Start over again with frst having the bowl right up in front of him, and slowly get further away. He should be faster in the table set up and progress quickly.

The hardest part about the table is getting them to walk to the bowl once it is out of reach.

Mommajack

Jun 11, 2013
Texas
Parrots
Rudy the Ruby Macaw
What's a good command for wing flapping? Rudy flaps his wings a lot sometimes. I debated about just using 'fly' but his wings aren't clipped and I'm thinking of leaving them that way, and using 'fly' to fly on command.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
I've seen people use "flap flap flap" as the command. "Big Eagle" or "Big Wings" to spread the wings open and hold them....

Any command you want that you wouldn't mind saying in front of strangers, really!

Mommajack

Jun 11, 2013
Texas
Parrots
Rudy the Ruby Macaw
I had thought about 'flap flap flap' but I don't really like it. He never just holds his wings open, so I hadn't really thought about that one. I will come up with something I like.

JDlugosz

Jun 25, 2013
Parrots
Bronze Wing Pionus
What's a good command for wing flapping? Rudy flaps his wings a lot sometimes. I debated about just using 'fly' but his wings aren't clipped and I'm thinking of leaving them that way, and using 'fly' to fly on command.
I like “eagle” to spread wings. Or, maybe I'll use “turquise” so the cue is part of telling people what he looks like under the wings.

aboyce76

Jan 29, 2013
Inverness, FL
Parrots
2 Yellow Collared Macaws-
Liberty and Faith
Blue Crown Conure -Charlie
Parrotlet -Willow
Peach Front Conure -Honor
Senegal-Patriot
We tell the girls "show me your pretty wings" and they display their beautiful wing span. :p

Most Reactions

Latest posts