tricks/rolling over

Quetki

Sep 23, 2022
Canada, Alberta
Parrots
Violet Green Cheeked Conure
I've been teaching my 5-month year-old GCC how to roll. He can't seem to do it by himself... or doesn't know how to. He will only "roll over" on my finger. He spins himself with it, but still (kinda?) uses the ground. I'm not sure how to proceed with it. I don't know how to get him to roll over completely by himself. Before I move on to a new trick I'd like for him to master rolling over. (next is hopefully waving.)

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Dont sweat it. Salty knows over 40 tricks now, some really difficult, but he has never learned to roll over without a finger to help. good on you for teaching that. Now move on, trust me the more you teach him, the easier it gets and the more eager he will be to learn new things.

OP
Quetki

Quetki

Sep 23, 2022
Canada, Alberta
Parrots
Dont sweat it. Salty knows over 40 tricks now, some really difficult, but he has never learned to roll over without a finger to help. good on you for teaching that. Now move on, trust me the more you teach him, the easier it gets and the more eager he will be to learn new things.
40 tricks?! Wow! That's a lot. You must've have had a lot of fun with your bird. I'll take your advice. Thank you.❤

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
Wrench and Salty are the perfect example of daily practice adding up over time :love:

I rewatch their YouTube channel quite a bit because they're both so good at working as a team, and Al is so calm and encouraging - it gives me more confidence in how long things take and how to break things down into small steps!

OP
Quetki

Quetki

Sep 23, 2022
Canada, Alberta
Parrots
40 tricks?! Wow! That's a lot. You must've have had a lot of fun with your bird. I'll take your advice. Thank you.❤
How long does it take for your birds to learn tricks? I notice my Conure picks up pretty quick. I just started teaching him wave today and he's already doing it. I also taught him to roll within 1-2 days.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Once they understand you are trying to show them something new and interesting to do, they can learn pretty darn quick. Salty often learns a new trick in 1 or 2 tries now, because he comes to our training sessions with that expectation. I think it's partially that there are smart birds and so-so smart ones, birds that get pleasure from doing tasks, parrots that are brought up with great relationships with their family, and the task or trick has to interest them. And the reward has to be worth it.

Most Reactions

Latest posts