Uk parrot friends , how are your feathered ones fairing this evening ?

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Albie - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure - Hatch date 14 Dec 2019 - Gotcha date - 4 March 2020
Albie isnt coping well at all.

Hes flying around panicked,ive pulled him from his cage before he hirts him self. he wont settle, and hes become very bitey . I hate this time of year , not just for albie ,but for all animals,pets,domestic and wild, not to mention the people who are sensitive to them , veterans, those with sensory issues , and any one i may have missed . Between now and new year its "fire work season"

We are currently in our room with calming piano music on which seems to be helping as it is drowning out most of the fire works ,all but the high pitched screamy one

He seems to be calming down to the piano music but hes in high alert and looks ready to take off at any moment .

How are your guys doing ? I hope they arent too stressed or frightened .

Edit: its bon fire/guy fawkes night here for non uk members (i forgot to add that in )

Last edited:

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
My US city has fireworks for pretty much any celebration and I'm surprised there arent any scheduled today even though it's not our holiday, that's how frequent they are. I hate it. The sound and the air quality sucks after big displays. It's so wasteful. I'd be fine with one professional display further out in the countryside for people to attend, that isn't near a lake or river or storm drain, and is cleaned up properly.

Poor Albie :(

OP
Stitchthestitch

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Albie - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure - Hatch date 14 Dec 2019 - Gotcha date - 4 March 2020
My US city has fireworks for pretty much any celebration and I'm surprised there arent any scheduled today even though it's not our holiday, that's how frequent they are. I hate it. The sound and the air quality sucks after big displays. It's so wasteful. I'd be fine with one professional display further out in the countryside for people to attend, that isn't near a lake or river or storm drain, and is cleaned up properly.

Poor Albie :(
Id be fine if fire works were limited to public/professional displays , they shouldn't be on sale to the general public . There are even silent fire works . Why not make it a legal requirement for them all to be silent?

Tomorrow is going to be so smokey and foggy with spent fire works everywhere

I got super lucky with my dog beimg absolutely fine with them , hed sleep through and not even twitch an ear ,so ive not had to worry about a pet being stressed until albie and its breaking my heart seeing him so clearly upset bybit all .

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Ick! I lived next to the state fair grounds for a couple of years and my Quaker was very afraid of the fireworks. I would cover her up or move her to a room with no windows until they were over.

I am now living downtown and the fireworks are generally out over one of the lakes, so it’s not an issue. You have to go and watch the fireworks. But there are still scary things like ladder vans (phone company), garbage trucks, and fire trucks to upset the birds.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
A dumb question: which holiday is being celebrated with fireworks? There’s no holiday today in US.

Rozalka

May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
A dumb question: which holiday is being celebrated with fireworks? There’s no holiday today in US.
UK celebrates Bonfire Night today - it's not a dump question, I learnt about such thing yesterday thanks to somebody from UK

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
My Cockatiels are some of the most skittish birds I have.
Fireworks on the 4th of July or anytime doesn't bother them.
My CAG Bella is also a nervous bird and she is not overly bothered by them. She might be a bit more subdued but not flighty.

OP
Stitchthestitch

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
I the uk we we celebrate bonfire /guy fawkes night to remember when giy fawkes tried to blow up the houses of Parliament along with king charles the first who was protestant and had a hatered towards catholics with the gun powder plot , it ultimately failed because an annoymous letter was sent to some one important who discovered fawkes standing guard over the gun powder barrels . He was later found guilty and hanged.

It was supposed to be a reminder of how the plot failed and an example to those who commit treason against the crown but now its mostly a commercial "oooo fire works " thing

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Salty is not too bad with fireworks. Our Dog however spends 4th July, SInco de Mayo and any other fireworks night trying to frantically dig her way thru the bathtub. Sometimes the doggie downers the vet gave us work, most times not.

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Sydney (Syd) Hatched 2/2017
I have only just seen this and am wondering if I am a harsh parront. We had a few fireworks and he noticed them - flattening out and looking a bit worried. I just said 'it's ok they are fireworks' and he gave me that one eyed stare with a cock of the head and ignored them. I put him to bed as usual, blinds drawn, cage covered etc and left him. I didn't hear a peep. I was always the same with my dogs in the past. He seems ok since! :oops:

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Well, if you’re matter of fact and not scared then your birds may take that attitude from you.

You can notice that nervous pet parents stroke their animal while waiting for the vet. This comforts the owner but it also tells the pet that it should be “scared” because mom or dad is scared. So I try to manage my anxiety and “vibes” when I take my birds to the vet because they will read my anxiety and have more themselves. Flock mood contagion. Or something.

OP
Stitchthestitch

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Im like T00tsyd , im very matter of fact about fireworks ,but for what ever reason ,albie was very upset by them .

I wasnt babying him , just telling him in a calm voice "you are ok , it just fire works ,they cannot hurt you" ,but we did have a lot of the high pitched scream and bang kind of one going off , so.maybe they were the ones that upset him as we had a few go off last night that were the bang and crackle type and he didnt bat an eye lid

Tapew0rrm

Nov 9, 2022
Lincolnshire
Parrots
Black Capped Conure
Arrow seemed completely unfazed by fireworks, which was lucky since that was the day I got him. And since we live in the countryside there aren't that many, but I know my rabbit always gets so stressed out by the noise.

I hope you and your birb baby are safe <3 How is he doing now? Feeling more calm?

OP
Stitchthestitch

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Arrow seemed completely unfazed by fireworks, which was lucky since that was the day I got him. And since we live in the countryside there aren't that many, but I know my rabbit always gets so stressed out by the noise.

I hope you and your birb baby are safe <3 How is he doing now? Feeling more calm?
We are doing ok now , Albie seems like hes back to his usual naughty self 😜 loke trying to unpick my cross stitching !

Most Reactions

Latest posts