Unhealthy Feather Plucking? Urgent

Floofy

Jan 27, 2022
Parrots
1. Coco my first Quaker parrot and I also have 2 Cockatiels Named Angel and Pluma
My bird Coco has started ripping off feathers and I seriously don't know why I've done everything I can to keep her calm and happy like changing rooms going outside giving her favorite foods, but she still feels the need to rip off feathers, she's began bleeding and I've cleaned it with cotton, a little hydrogen peroxide and Maravilla lotion to clean the wounds and stop the bleeding as well as making sure she has no infection. Any tips for how to help her stop doing it? I've got no ideas and I'm desperate

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Find the reason of the plucking. It could be stress, poor diet, hormones, an infection, or something else. Consult with your avian vet if you can't find the cause. Actually, do that regardless.

OP
Floofy

Floofy

Jan 27, 2022
Parrots
1. Coco my first Quaker parrot and I also have 2 Cockatiels Named Angel and Pluma
Find the reason of the plucking. It could be stress, poor diet, hormones, an infection, or something else. Consult with your avian vet if you can't find the cause. Actually, do that regardless.
I'm afraid there's only one avian vet and it's very far away as well as the fact that I don't have a car which makes me extremely disappointed not knowing what to do

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
I'm afraid there's only one avian vet and it's very far away as well as the fact that I don't have a car which makes me extremely disappointed not knowing what to do
You can try consulting with one online, not as good, but you'll get some good advice.

OP
Floofy

Floofy

Jan 27, 2022
Parrots

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
quakers can start self mutilation.

Recommendation aim fir 6 hours or more out if cage time, at least an hour of that cuddle tiime

Lots of frilly paper preen toys, easy to chomp stuff.

How long have you had him? How long has he been plucking? Plucking is a complex issue, once health has bern ruled out.

My only recommendation for bloody areas is use dilute betadine apply several times a day. None of the other stuff you said.

But mutilation must stop. It may take mood altering mrds from veterinarian.

When I rescued Penny she had just started plucking around neck and a little on shoulder. But she was chewing up her feet had nipped the tip off if one toe abd kept her feet bloody. Thankfully coming to live with me, having a huge cage, better diet , and 8 hours out of cage time, and lots if preen toys. Soak feet many times a day in betadine in water. Stopped feet mutilation, stopped plucking shoulders. Neck plucking continues to this day years later but hasn't progressed . She git a full work up the first week home.

You may not be able to stop plucking, but hopefully can reduce. But mutilation must stop.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Type of preen toys that help mine
20220128_160457.jpg
20220128_160401.jpg

Perch with crinkled paper stuffed in it
20220128_160556.jpg

20220128_160620.jpg

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
A vet can run labs, and make sure there is nothing major going on. There are 101 reasons why a parrot will feather pluck. Even if there is something that a vet can determine as the cause. Feather plucking can become habitual. Then you are dealing with a parrot who feather plucks out of habit. It can be incredibly frustrating, and rather heartbreaking. Hang in there! Hopefully things turn around. I hope your vet appointment goes well.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Stress reduction article

That Perch she is holding already chewed is one mine like . Foraging is great for every parrot and fun to fo together

Last edited:

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
Also think of sleep, and if you are a night owl (consider moving your parrot to a quiet room). Parrots need lots of sleep. Some more then others. I try to get my Ekkie at least 12 hours of sleep 😴 with no interruptions. My conure I try my best to get 8 hours of sleep for. If she hears a peep she’s awake. She’s a better guard then my German Shepherd!!!

Emeral

Sep 16, 2021
Parrots
Hanhs Macaw
My bird Coco has started ripping off feathers and I seriously don't know why I've done everything I can to keep her calm and happy like changing rooms going outside giving her favorite foods, but she still feels the need to rip off feathers, she's began bleeding and I've cleaned it with cotton, a little hydrogen peroxide and Maravilla lotion to clean the wounds and stop the bleeding as well as making sure she has no infection. Any tips for how to help her stop doing it? I've got no ideas and I'm desperate

You are not alone, many have this issue...

How long has this been going on?
Have you noticed what the circumstance were?
Have you read this thread?

Thread 'Plucking: A Search For Answers' https://www.parrotforums.com/threads/plucking-a-search-for-answers.52217/

Please tell us more, the more details, the more our members can help.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
You are not alone, many have this issue...

How long has this been going on?
Have you noticed what the circumstance were?
Have you read this thread?

Thread 'Plucking: A Search For Answers' https://www.parrotforums.com/threads/plucking-a-search-for-answers.52217/

Please tell us more, the more details, the more our members can help.
Yes! Is the plucking completely new? Did she ever pluck or chew off her feathers before? How does her skin look?

Another issue: if you smoke, the tar and nicotine settle on your birds feathers and make them gummy. They can get irritated. Or if you started using a hand lotion and some extra got on her feathers when you pet her.

Birds need baths or showers in plain water to stay clean and comfortable. But if a Quaker is chewing bloody holes, she really needs to go to the vet asap.

Good luck.

Most Reactions

Latest posts