Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Hospitals are unfeeling money pit’.
I am sure a visit from BB would have helped morale.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Yeah PT is a bitch. I was running around with external fixators on my lower left leg for 3 MONTHS, soft cast for 2 more and finally a rod hammered down thru the length of the tibia, each one required weeks of PT. Tell David the revenge for PT is to do it so well the staff lets you home early ( and be a PIA to them - that really gets you home faster too). I was doing walking races with the nurses down the halls, with a pinch to their bottom if I won.

D

Deleted member 42416

Saw David yesterday...he is over whelmed and is in a lot of pain :confused: He's doing PT learning to keep his knee straight which is essential for proper fitment and alignment for when he get's a leg. The people who will supply the leg called while I was there. They are going to send a rep to see him who is also handicapped so he can see first hand what it's all about. He was told the sooner the better but he still has staples in his leg that wont come out for about two weeks. He has a brace and a tight "sock" that he needs to wear constantly that bothers him..he has lost about 40lbs and I'm guessing cause they are feeding him proper and he hasn't had his daily three glasses of wine or whiskey!

BB can't visit :censored: The staff there are clueless about Parrots. I was asked if he has all of his "shots"..I told them birds don't get shots..then I was asked if he was vaccinated from the bird flu,I said he's not a duck or chicken,he's an indoor companion parrot! Then I was asked about his medical records which I have.
The girl talked to her supervisor then said because of covid he can't visit,when I questioned about the little ankle biter doggo I saw there last week and said "oh covid doesn't apply to him?" she just walked away not answering....grrrrr

Jim
Honestly, dumb and heartless in the staff are a terrible combination. In your case, it sounds like BB can genuinely be an emotional support animal. I am going to be blunt: those idiots wouldn’t know EMA credentials if it personally bit them in the butt (which all our birbs can do)😀… anyhoo, something to think about.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Saw David yesterday...he is over whelmed and is in a lot of pain :confused: He's doing PT learning to keep his knee straight which is essential for proper fitment and alignment for when he get's a leg. The people who will supply the leg called while I was there. They are going to send a rep to see him who is also handicapped so he can see first hand what it's all about. He was told the sooner the better but he still has staples in his leg that wont come out for about two weeks. He has a brace and a tight "sock" that he needs to wear constantly that bothers him..he has lost about 40lbs and I'm guessing cause they are feeding him proper and he hasn't had his daily three glasses of wine or whiskey!

BB can't visit :censored: The staff there are clueless about Parrots. I was asked if he has all of his "shots"..I told them birds don't get shots..then I was asked if he was vaccinated from the bird flu,I said he's not a duck or chicken,he's an indoor companion parrot! Then I was asked about his medical records which I have.
The girl talked to her supervisor then said because of covid he can't visit,when I questioned about the little ankle biter doggo I saw there last week and said "oh covid doesn't apply to him?" she just walked away not answering....grrrrr

Jim
Poor David, I can't imagine the kind of pain he must be in. My late stepfather had an artificial leg, and he said he got used to it pretty quickly, but the phantom pain was pretty bad even years later. I hope it isn't the same for David.

I'm so sorry that BB couldn't get in to visit. Can you do a video call with him?

Can you let him know that all his extended PF family are thinking about him?

OP
AmyMyBlueFront

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Poor David, I can't imagine the kind of pain he must be in. My late stepfather had an artificial leg, and he said he got used to it pretty quickly, but the phantom pain was pretty bad even years later. I hope it isn't the same for David.

I'm so sorry that BB couldn't get in to visit. Can you do a video call with him?

Can you let him know that all his extended PF family are thinking about him?
Unfortunately both of us are behind the times lol,neither of us have smart phone,we still use the 'ol star trek flip jobs :oops:. When we do talk I put the phone up to Beebs and he immediately starts wolf whistling and giving kisses,he knows Davids voice,even though they have a love/hate relationship I think they miss each other.
Going to talk to a supervisor when I visit later today and state my case.
55 years ago my dad had a fake job from his thigh down and got around well. Technology has come a long way since then.

Jim

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Jim, you're definitely right about the technology aspect. Since my son has become so involved in adaptive track and field, we've spent the last several years around a great number of amputee athletes in our travels. The current technology in prosthetics is mind blowing compared to even a few years ago. So sad that he's having to deal with it at all, but in the grand scheme of things, certainly could have been much worse. Continued prayers for you all, my friend.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Dearly hope David's pain will be better controlled. Fine line between effective relief and potential opioid addiction. Long road ahead but your love and support cannot be overemphasized!

A pity hospital refused BB visit, perhaps climbing up the bureaucratic ladder brings success! Please send David my wishes for comfort and speedy healing!!

OP
AmyMyBlueFront

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
The poor guy can't win. Doctor's found two more clot's,one in his other leg and one in his groin. They are watching him closely and won't do anything until he heals or things get worse. :confused:

Jim

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
The poor guy can't win. Doctor's found two more clot's,one in his other leg and one in his groin. They are watching him closely and won't do anything until he heals or things get worse. :confused:

Jim
Oh dear, clots as result of surgery require serious care. Assume David is on blood thinners to dissolve?

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I'm sorry to hear of the struggles David is having.

I don't know what resources are available for patients there, or if you ask for more might be available..

For example, because I'm dealing with a debilitating disease that requires twice monthly hospital treatment. My hospital takes a whole mind , body, spirt, and emotional support approaches. A spiritual ( Chaplin) is available for prayer and guidance, a counselor for mental support in dealing with all the challenges to self and identity when dealing with life altering disease/ chronic health issues. They offer art supplies or word puzzles stuff when asked for. Volunteers will visit if you just need a little distraction and company.

Id hope some of thst might be available if asked for. Having a conversation with a counselor can be so helpful in ways a family member can't. Just being able to talk to some out of your circle, was more freeing for me. And they are aware of body image changes, social changes and how to guide your thinking.

And there are days just Having someone to pray with you made it easier.

I just want your brother to heal. And sometimes that takes more than just dealing with the bodies ailments.

And as his caregiver, there should be some services or support available for you. They can give you contact info for support groups if they don't have

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)

Jim
I am thinking of you and David always, Uncle Jim, and I'm so sorry you're both going through all of this. Sending more love and hugs and support to you both, please know that you are in my prayers every single day 🙏❤️

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
My friend and neighbor lost her foot due to diabetes which wasn’t well managed, and hating to go into the doctor. I did ask if I could bring her bird in to visit. Birds are a type of animal absolutely forbidden in hospitals for reasons of disease prevention (probably unjustified but there you go). Does the hospital or center loan notebook computers or tablets to patients? I call my birds and talk at them if I will be away. I found a bird cage mini recorder to play my voice for my birds as well. Maybe that would help? If you can’t afford that I would clean it and mail it to you?

If your friend has managed care you possibly could argue for funding for a better phone, tablet, or computer because your friends mobility is now limited. Then you might skype with Beebs. I am disabled by severe arthritis and a computer or tablet has so helped me be able to read online, get information, make appointments, and have virtual appointments. Unfortunately my family lives in a very rural area so no skype with grandma is possible.

In the last few years it has gotten much more difficult for chronic pain patients to get decent pain control. I think it’s a type of torture. Life has little value if you’re in too much pain to do anything, or puking.

Everything gets so complicated when you can’t move. I am sorry to hear your friend’s (brother’s?) story. Willow sends him a bird smoochie. We could send you the bird voice recorder if you could use it.

Attachments

• 0AD8DAB6-CA0C-4697-9360-CE7EA4070FB7.jpeg
    0AD8DAB6-CA0C-4697-9360-CE7EA4070FB7.jpeg
    156.7 KB · Views: 53

JimsBrother

Supporting Member
Mar 3, 2022
Parrots
Uncle to Bebee
and Amy
I am David, Jim's brother. First, I want to heartfully thank everyone here who has offered well wishes and prayers.

This is the most painful post anyone could ever make. I have to announce that my beloved brother Jim died Wednesday at home. Heart failure took him. Poor timing on God's part IMO, as I'm in a rehab hospital recovering from having my foot amputated. I really really really need my bro right now, and he's gone.

Jim was supposed to visit me here in the hospital yesterday, and when he didn't show and didn't answer the phone I got worried. 911 was able to get into the house and they found him (probably slumped over his keyboard while typing on the forum!).

He is survived by a son, James, 34, who is devastated. I think my nephew and I will become a lot closer as time passes.

This hasn't hit me full on yet. I have a lot of crying left to do.

Which brings me to Beebee and Amy. The local animal control took them, cages and all. They'll be fed and hopefully be close enough to each other to not go crazy. You know how Amy loves his little brother. Animal control is a shelter and the people are compassionate and caring. I worry about their mental health in a strange place without Daddy.

I still have 2-3 weeks in rehab then I'll be sent home (with one foot). I will have the birds sent home then and see if I can manage caring for them. That's what Jim would have wanted.

He leaves me with a huge hole in my life

Dave
Amy and Beebee's uncle.

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
David, I'm completely in shock as I'm sure you are, obviously more so. I don't even know what to say just yet. My sincerest condolences. Jim was a beloved member and friend of so many of us here. Please let us know if there's anything any of us can do that might be of help or comfort to you.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I am David, Jim's brother. First, I want to heartfully thank everyone here who has offered well wishes and prayers.

This is the most painful post anyone could ever make. I have to announce that my beloved brother Jim died Wednesday at home. Heart failure took him. Poor timing on God's part IMO, as I'm in a rehab hospital recovering from having my foot amputated. I really really really need my bro right now, and he's gone.

Jim was supposed to visit me here in the hospital yesterday, and when he didn't show and didn't answer the phone I got worried. 911 was able to get into the house and they found him (probably slumped over his keyboard while typing on the forum!).

He is survived by a son, James, 34, who is devastated. I think my nephew and I will become a lot closer as time passes.

This hasn't hit me full on yet. I have a lot of crying left to do.

Which brings me to Beebee and Amy. The local animal control took them, cages and all. They'll be fed and hopefully be close enough to each other to not go crazy. You know how Amy loves his little brother. Animal control is a shelter and the people are compassionate and caring. I worry about their mental health in a strange place without Daddy.

I still have 2-3 weeks in rehab then I'll be sent home (with one foot). I will have the birds sent home then and see if I can manage caring for them. That's what Jim would have wanted.

He leaves me with a huge hole in my life

Dave
Amy and Beebee's uncle.
David, I don't even have the words to convey my condolences. Truth is I can barely see to type through my tears.
Jim means so much to so many people in this forum, and we all grieve your loss.
The world lost a truly wonderful person.
I'm so glad you will be bringing BB & Amy home, Jim is smiling knowing that you all will take care of each other.

If you need anything from us, if there is anything at all that we can do, please ask. You have also become our family because of all of Jim's posts about you, so please don't hesitate to reach out.
Sending much love and prayers of comfort to you and to his son.

Most Reactions

Latest posts