Update on Kiko + questions

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
Hello, šŸ‘‹ I have a male cockatiel named Kiko :)

Yesterday I posted about Kiko and how he isnā€™t feeling too well.

We just got back from the vet today and I am very relieved that he isnā€™t in any sort of life threatening situation. We were told by our vet that his mouth, nose, eyes, and physical shape looks good. His weight is healthy and he seems to look fine. However, he could potentially have a mild infection in his crop or some place else, which is what we thought so as well.

he prescribed an antibiotic for him and told us to give it to him daily for 7-10 days. I donā€™t know the exact name of the medicine but itā€™s metacam. He showed us how to give it to him through a syringe but I donā€™t know how we will be able to handle him as he hates being handled.

Does anyone know of good tricks in how to give kiko the oral medicine with little stress upon him? Should we continue to provide extra warmth and encouragement on food?

Thanks to anyone who replies šŸ’•

OP
SafamirzašŸ¤

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
Hello, šŸ‘‹ I have a male cockatiel named Kiko :)

Yesterday I posted about Kiko and how he isnā€™t feeling too well.

We just got back from the vet today and I am very relieved that he isnā€™t in any sort of life threatening situation. We were told by our vet that his mouth, nose, eyes, and physical shape looks good. His weight is healthy and he seems to look fine. However, he could potentially have a mild infection in his crop or some place else, which is what we thought so as well.

he prescribed an antibiotic for him and told us to give it to him daily for 7-10 days. I donā€™t know the exact name of the medicine but itā€™s metacam. He showed us how to give it to him through a syringe but I donā€™t know how we will be able to handle him as he hates being handled.

Does anyone know of good tricks in how to give kiko the oral medicine with little stress upon him? Should we continue to provide extra warmth and encouragement on food?

Thanks to anyone who replies šŸ’•
^^ and does anyone know of types of foods that are especially good for him at this time?

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Feb 20, 2022
Aww poor Kiko!

I would personally think that whatever he's used to eating, keep feeding that for now, to make sure he's eating enough.

Metacam is a pain reliever/anti-inflammatory so hopefully he'll start to feel better quickly, even if he has a low grade infection. Were you told it can be kept at room temperature? All the Metacam/meloxicam I've seen here is kind of white, kept at room temp, and the best part is that it tastes like honey.

Cotton will ONLY take walnuts from me, and won't let me touch him, but the Metacam he's been on before was just thick enough to put into a walnut, and tasted good enough he just ate it right up.

You could try putting it onto a little piece of plain bread if that's something you know he likes to eat?

I think your idea of continuing warmth and encouraging eating is good.

OP
SafamirzašŸ¤

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
Aww poor Kiko!

I would personally think that whatever he's used to eating, keep feeding that for now, to make sure he's eating enough.

Metacam is a pain reliever/anti-inflammatory so hopefully he'll start to feel better quickly, even if he has a low grade infection. Were you told it can be kept at room temperature? All the Metacam/meloxicam I've seen here is kind of white, kept at room temp, and the best part is that it tastes like honey.

Cotton will ONLY take walnuts from me, and won't let me touch him, but the Metacam he's been on before was just thick enough to put into a walnut, and tasted good enough he just ate it right up.

You could try putting it onto a little piece of plain bread if that's something you know he likes to eat?

I think your idea of continuing warmth and encouraging eating is good.
Thank you for your sweet reply šŸ’•

Today we gave him the metacam on our own and he was too afraid of the syringe to take the medicine, so after a while we had to restrain him and feed him the medicine which took around 30 seconds to do.

I honestly donā€™t remember if we were to keep the metacam at room temperature or in the refrigerator (it is white and cloudy looking) I looked it up and it said to keep it in the fridge. Should I start keeping it out? I do leave it out for a couple of minutes before giving it to him.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Feb 20, 2022
I'd follow the directions on your bottle or whatever directions you have :)

That's great that you got him to take it!

OP
SafamirzašŸ¤

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
I'd follow the directions on your bottle or whatever directions you have :)

That's great that you got him to take it!
I have a quick question, @Cottonoid :

I believe that antibiotics should start kicking in and working within 3 days. It has been 24 hours since he got his first dosage and then we gave him his second. After his third-fourth, if he does not look any better, is it a good time to call the vet again?

Most Reactions

Latest posts