Update!!

EclectusRoratus

Jan 11, 2013
Texas
Parrots
Eclectus <3
Hello EVERYONE. :) Gannicus is doing great. I have some things to talk about though. First off, my boy is settling in amazingly. He lets me hold him and steps up perfectly now. But he has not played with any of his toys. I'm starting to think he's just not a toy type of bird. When I got him he had like 3 toys. They all looked very old, so I went out and bought him new ones and he will not touch them!! Are some birds just like this? The only thing that he will play with is this piece of cloth. He plays with it when I swish it around his face and what not. lol. Other than that, he doesn't play.

EWWWW, another thing. Today I was petting him, well as much as he lets me and next thing you know.. HE'S REGURGITATING!!! I went online and read about it and he's trying to court me as his mate. Thanks baby!! but that's disgusting! So I put him in his cage so he would get the point, momma don't like that!!

I'm thinking about giving him a bath tonight. I'm curious to see how this goes.

Chikoo

Jul 17, 2012
Parrots
Chikoo (female Eclectus, 4yrs)
Rumi (male Eclectus, 12yrs)
My male is 12yrs old and he does not play with toys and never has, despite his previous owner's many attempts. Some birds are not toy birds. Don't punish your bird for regurgitating. Its a natural instinctive behavior, and not something they "choose" to do because they think you like it, and that they will stop doing because they see that you don't like it. We are talking biological patterns here, its way deeper than that.

You actually stimulated his hormones by petting him so much. You should restrict your cuddling and petting of your bird to his head alone. Do not stroke his back and touch him all over and cuddle him too much. Just stroke his head. That is how you can prevent him from seeing you as his mate and having him regurgitate on you and humping your hand and such. In the wild, these birds are not touched nearly as much as they are in human homes, because we love to cuddle our pets. It really stimulates their hormones to be touched so much.

Most Reactions

Latest posts