upper beak blockage in African Grey

Mochamnstr

Aug 5, 2014
Hi, I have a 25 year old African Grey. I rescued her that long ago. She was tragic bald (whole body !). She loved my Sis, so she had her till she passed away 2 summers ago. I got Haweye back ( she will tell you she is a girl). She developed a beak misalignment, not sure why. I have had her beak professionally trimmed at least 3 times now by vet. She keeps getting a big ball of ? sunflower seed in her upper beak. I have taken her to the vet twice to fix this and it keeps reoccuring. Question, anything I can do to unblock it myself and how do I prevent it. Thanks for any help.

TessieB

Nov 3, 2013
Media
Upstate, South Carolina
Parrots
1 Blue Front Amazon, 1 Yellow Head Amazon, 4 Cockatiels, 2 Parakeets
Exactly how old is the bird? If she's having problems with her beak to that extent, you might trying to switch her to a softer type diet. Reduce the sunflowers in her diet (not that good for her anyway) and offer her a good quality diet. Lack of Vit A has been known to cause funky 'growths' around the head. However, if you are dealing with a sinus malformation due to trauma, neoplasia or arthritis, you need to have an avian vet evaluate the your bird and go from there.

Most Reactions

Latest posts