lucky budgies
New member
- Jul 9, 2026
- 1
- 1
- Parrots
- budgies
Hi everyone,
I am looking for some advice regarding my male budgie.
He has been chronically hormonal for about 3 to 4 months now. He is constantly showing mating behaviors and frequently rubs his vent/bottom against fabrics and mirrors. Recently, I noticed some intermittent blood stains on his tail feathers and near the mirror.
Right now, even when he is completely calm and not acting hormonal at all, his cloaca (anus) remains dilated and wide open. It is also constantly twitching and pumping (opening and closing repeatedly).
Despite this, he is still very active, playful, and has a great appetite. His droppings are perfectly normal and he passes them easily without any straining. I highly suspect he might be suffering from chronic cloacitis or enlargement of the seminal vesicles due to muscle fatigue and irritation from excessive rubbing.
I definitely plan to take him to an avian vet, but since the local clinics are currently closed for the next two days, I want to ask if anyone has experienced this with their male budgies before? Any advice on how to keep him safe and comfortable during these two days would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!
I am looking for some advice regarding my male budgie.
He has been chronically hormonal for about 3 to 4 months now. He is constantly showing mating behaviors and frequently rubs his vent/bottom against fabrics and mirrors. Recently, I noticed some intermittent blood stains on his tail feathers and near the mirror.
Right now, even when he is completely calm and not acting hormonal at all, his cloaca (anus) remains dilated and wide open. It is also constantly twitching and pumping (opening and closing repeatedly).
Despite this, he is still very active, playful, and has a great appetite. His droppings are perfectly normal and he passes them easily without any straining. I highly suspect he might be suffering from chronic cloacitis or enlargement of the seminal vesicles due to muscle fatigue and irritation from excessive rubbing.
I definitely plan to take him to an avian vet, but since the local clinics are currently closed for the next two days, I want to ask if anyone has experienced this with their male budgies before? Any advice on how to keep him safe and comfortable during these two days would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!
Last edited:







