Using tea tree oil face washes/shampoo...

JL27850

Oct 13, 2023
Parrots
Jax - 10 year old Quaker Parrot
Hi,
I've had Jax for nearly 11 years and have only just been told that tea tree oil is bad news.
The thing is I have been using tea tree oil face wash and body wash for over a year and have just recently (6 months-ish) started using tea tree shampoo as well. All are from The Body Shop in Australia. I have only just been told that it can be toxic.
Obviously I don't let him preen or lick my face/hair when it's wet but otherwise he does do it quite a lot, especially my nose.
I've never seen any signs that it's effecting him and he was checked out by the vet in March and given a good bill of health etc. But I'm wondering if I should change to something different?
I'm worried that I could be harming him.
Would appreciate any feedback.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Hi,
I've had Jax for nearly 11 years and have only just been told that tea tree oil is bad news.
The thing is I have been using tea tree oil face wash and body wash for over a year and have just recently (6 months-ish) started using tea tree shampoo as well. All are from The Body Shop in Australia. I have only just been told that it can be toxic.
Obviously I don't let him preen or lick my face/hair when it's wet but otherwise he does do it quite a lot, especially my nose.
I've never seen any signs that it's effecting him and he was checked out by the vet in March and given a good bill of health etc. But I'm wondering if I should change to something different?
I'm worried that I could be harming him.
Would appreciate any feedback.
To be honest I'm not sure what concentrations of tea tree oil would be harmful, but personally I would avoid it as it's named on a number of lists of ingredients that can be dangerous to birds, here are two of them...

Perhaps you could contact your vet's office and see what they think too?

Most Reactions

Latest posts