Very sick cockatiel. Need suggestions please!

LuluViBirbania

Aug 23, 2021
Parrots
Cockatiel
I'm a new parrot owner so I don't have much experience.
About Lulu, my cockatiel
- about 4 months old, had him for a few weeks
- is not tame with me yet but will step up on my finger for millet
- still on a seed diet but would like to switch to a pellet

This week he got sick being lethargic and sneezing here and there (I have air purifier and they are wet sneezes). Every vet is booked a month in advance so I took him to emergency vet for all animals and they gave him fluids to hydrate and 2 antibiotics to take home (.05cc Baytril & .03cc Flagyl) to give at the same time every 12 hours. His poops change daily. First very yellow and liquid around it, then a very dark green with a bit of white. Now it is dark green and very liquidy. He got better yesterday after antibiotics were started and moved around slightly and tried eating some food. Today he is at his worst - regurgitating liquid that he drinks or the medicine, very lethargic and very puffed up. Hopped off his perch to stay on the ground. No vet will see him for at least another 2 weeks despite the emergency.

I have him in a low cage with a blanket over part of the cage with an air purifier and humidifier right with him and a lamp to make it warm. He seems to drink sometimes but not eating. He keeps spilling liquids out of his beak (not shaking or forcing it up). He doesn't like any other food right now besides millet and seed but I have parrot formula to make liquid food. Is there anything else I can do to help him right now?

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I'm so sorry. I just feel the stress so intensely with others sick birds.....

Warmth is critical. A radiant heat panel is best. They sell cage Warmerrs on Amazon.

Offering the baby bird formula in very small amounts might be tolerated. Like only 1-3 ml at a time.. 2 hours apart maybe 4 times a day font disturb st night they need their rest.

Baytil cover wide variety of things . But not a common one that would need doxycline. Its called pstticossis ( I can't spell) not that I know or am saying that this is what your bird has.. but green poop and sneezing do lean that way.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Many times vets will do a video consultation! Call around,.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
This huge thread is my journey with my sick flock. You can skim for info i put through out. All burds saved , it was hard work with set backs. Unfortunately with so many birds, and despite extended treatments and cleaning, it still around and shed intermittently. I just had to treat my whole flock again. Penny my oldest developed a yeast overgrowth this time ...and I'm just about to get her well again. The rest bounced back quickly. Its given me a lot of experience with very sick birds. And I try my best to share that with everyone.

I hope my thread helps you and others. And gives you tool and faith that with supporting care , warmth critical, supporting feed critical, and proper vet diagnosis and medication critical birds can recover from infection. Everybody situation is different, not every bird can be saved. But its worth fighting and trying because many can. Avian medicine is getting better all the time.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Sorry to know Lulu is not improving as expected. Many vets have "emergency" update appointments once treatment has begun. Perhaps they will "work you in" between patients given serious symptoms?

Most Reactions

Latest posts