OP
kme3388

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
I do my best to change the subject once people start saying Nico should be put down. I used to cry about it, and get upset. Thank you everyone for the support! It really is a hard thing to hear.

MykaMom

Aug 24, 2019
Illinois
Parrots
Yellow Nape Amazon
Chickens
Nico has been to the vet twice in the last week. He is having issues with his nostrils. Both vets did a nasal flush, and Nico's avian vet showed me how to do it at home. He is currently getting antibiotics that are being administered as nose drops. I am doing this 3 times a day. Nico had a lot of debris that came out of his nose during both flushes. I did mention that Nico, and ekkies do tend to regurgitate to the vet. Maybe that's whats causing him to have so much debris coming out of his nostrils? I'm sure all of that bacteria coming back up from the stomach can't be good to get into nostrils if it does. Once the feathers were pulled back away from his nostrils I could really see the redness in the one nostril. I felt awful for Nico. I am not sure if bornavirus causes some of this? or if this is just a common ekkie issue?

Has anyone ran into this issue? I am just worried about Nico. He's a sweet little boy, and it just feels like its been one medical issue after the other. Which I do not mind. I am constantly poking at him trying to help him. I am surprised Nico likes me at all.
Any chance there's allergens making his condition worse?

My yna Myka had clogged nares at less than a year. His breathing sounded rough and was through the mouth. I rushed him to my avian vet immediately.

He was diagnosed with seasonal allergies, of all things! Yet she's been right. It happens every spring when pollen rises.

I run a Humidifier and air cleaner every winter and spring now.

It's thankfully never led to any infections or problems with lungs or air sacs.

He's been overall healthy, so far, I consider us lucky. There's so many issues he could have gotten, viruses, injuries etc.

Sparky123

Oct 28, 2018
Nico has been to the vet twice in the last week. He is having issues with his nostrils. Both vets did a nasal flush, and Nico's avian vet showed me how to do it at home. He is currently getting antibiotics that are being administered as nose drops. I am doing this 3 times a day. Nico had a lot of debris that came out of his nose during both flushes. I did mention that Nico, and ekkies do tend to regurgitate to the vet. Maybe that's whats causing him to have so much debris coming out of his nostrils? I'm sure all of that bacteria coming back up from the stomach can't be good to get into nostrils if it does. Once the feathers were pulled back away from his nostrils I could really see the redness in the one nostril. I felt awful for Nico. I am not sure if bornavirus causes some of this? or if this is just a common ekkie issue?

Has anyone ran into this issue? I am just worried about Nico. He's a sweet little boy, and it just feels like its been one medical issue after the other. Which I do not mind. I am constantly poking at him trying to help him. I am surprised Nico likes me at all.
Hi ok my parrot is sneezing they have hey fever also, i gave him some hot sauces and no bunged up beak, also lots of ventilation like air purifiers,
Also wash him a lot keep dander away X

OP
kme3388

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
I bought this to disinfect Nico’s cage. I’m using this for my conure too just encase. I hope I bought the right thing that was suggested here. I’m hoping by doing a better job disinfecting maybe it will cut down on infections.

I do have a dog that sheds really bad, and allergies are a huge possibility if birds can get them. I do vacuum Nico’s room often because he has a lot of dander.
886EB03B-CB19-4076-BD87-81EF13B5D347.jpeg

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
I use the same thing - I made a gallon jug and then fill a spray bottle from that. I wrote the math for the concentration in the side of the jug so I wouldn't forget.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
The directions I think are included with the package, but if you lose them, the Amazon listing for the product has them in the item description also!

I’m starting to think Kirby has allergies as well, he’s had a rough week and so have I, and grass pollen is in the “very high” range in my area.

Most Reactions

Latest posts