Vet, Blood work, Xray & So many questions

OP
R

rev

Nov 17, 2020
Very pretty girl? Or hadn't had adult molt yet?
Seems very bright and obviously well loved!

Very hard to tell weight, the last link I could convince myself looks thinner.

Since she loves her bath! So cute!
If yiu really wet her breast chest area and share a picture, that might help to show keel . A pronounced keel would indicates under weight for her size..

Really looks bright and good.

What are your concerns about health again? The Weight loss? Or something else?

I say as I believe he is a pastel face mutation. He is around 1 year old and has molted all the spotted wing feathers and has no barring on the tail feathers.

You'd think by that video he loves baths right? They are a very rare occurrence. He has it offered every day and that one video is the only time he has ever had a full proper bath. It is rare for him to walk around and wet his chest and head let alone the spraying!

My only concerns are the general low weight and then the dip 2 weeks ago. No other concerns as he seems his usual self.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
He's a beautiful bird! Not familiar with cockatiels but appears happy, lively, in good form.

A general guide to bird keel bone and surrounding flesh/muscle:
Body+condition+score+for+birds

Last edited:

SD1030

Feb 2, 2021
From my limited knowledge and experience, you do not need to anesthetize a bird for x rays or a blood test, especially something as small as a cockatiel.

The good vets take blood from the tip of the nail, never from the jugular, too dangerous.

There’s no need to do an x ray or blood test if your bird is healthy with no obvious signs of illness. I’ve been told that the stress from these tests (especially x rays) will kill a bird far more quickly than any disease they could find in a bird, like cancer or something. Skip the x rays. There’s no need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions