Wasting chop

Littlechris123

Aug 18, 2021
Media
Worksop nottinghamshire
Parrots
Pineapple conure
Hi guys i seem to be wasting alot of veg chop my conure only seems to like chillies and bell peppers and carrots tried freezing it she wont eat if too wet i damp with kitchen roll and heat it throu to take chill off but she cab go all morning without touching a thing i add to ut to spice it up so she dont get bored but i must be doing something wrong shes hapoy in herself talking plating im just dont know what else to do any ideas please tia

bill_e

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Dec 24, 2015
New Hampshire
Parrots
Nike a Hawk Head Parrot (Deroptyus accipitrinus)
You can try Freeze Dried Chop, no waste except what she doesn't eat at a feeding.

Some birds like it dry, some like it just damp with water, some like it spritzed with juice and some just wont eat it.

The only brand I have experience with is Texas Natural Freeze Dried but there are others if you Google.

OP
L

Littlechris123

Aug 18, 2021
Media
Worksop nottinghamshire
Parrots
Pineapple conure
You can try Freeze Dried Chop, no waste except what she doesn't eat at a feeding.

Some birds like it dry, some like it just damp with water, some like it spritzed with juice and some just wont eat it.

The only brand I have experience with is Texas Natural Freeze Dried but there are others if you Google.
Ok ty for replying 🙂

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).

I get freeze-dried chop from Avian Naturals, via mail order but nonetheless local to New England.

https://aviannaturals.com/store/

https://aviannaturals.com/store/parrot-food-natural

Sometimes I give it to her dry, and sometimes I wet it down. (And actually I'm overdue for a new order, so, thanks for the reminder!)

You can order their premixed variety of mixes, or you can purchase the 1-pound or 2-pound "Create Your Own Mix," where you select the ingredients. (This is what I do, so I can include items my Sunny likes, or at least tolerates, and leave out things she definitely doesn't like.)

bill_e

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Dec 24, 2015
New Hampshire
Parrots
Nike a Hawk Head Parrot (Deroptyus accipitrinus)
Ok ty for replying 🙂

I get freeze-dried chop from Avian Naturals, via mail order but nonetheless local to New England.

Sometimes I provide it dry and sometimes I wet it down. You can order their variety of mixes, or you can purchase the 1-pound or 2-pound mixes where you select the ingredients. (This is what I do, so I can include items my Sunny likes, or at least tolerates, and leave out things she definitely doesn't like.)
I just ordered a quart from Texas, I may try this place next, thanks

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Know what you mean, chop with peppers can get really wet. In the mixing bowl, I push everything to one side, wait for the juices to collect in the other side and papertowel that out. Then, when thawing , I mix in 1 or 2 crushed nutraberries, or some of the texas freeze dry to soak up any real wetness.

Don't be afraid to add really hot peppers to your chop , the hotter the better. Parrots have 1 taste bud to 100 of ours, and what is fire hot to us is merely tasty to them.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I just accept the waste. I hive fresh daily whatever I have. Keep offering lots if different stuff, they will try it eventually. Took 2 years before my Penny would eat leafy greens and cabbage. There are times mine eat certain stuff and ignore others,, then all if a sudden they only eat the things they had been shunning before...ugh lol
But now all but Penny. Always try everything I offer, and eat a huge variety.

I always hate hearing people say mine only eats this or that, and then that's all they start to offer. If you aren't offering other stuff how can they ever learn to eat it.

I offer anything I make myself that's safe for them too. Mine definitely enjoy and relish trying new stuff now. Even the budgies eat everything !

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Moisture in a chop is easily your biggest enemy. When I make chop I’m constantly hand squeezing every bit of chop to remove excess moisture. It’s a log of extra work, but it works like a charm.

Ingredient curation is all important. Don’t add wet foods, like various fruits. Those will be the death for any chop recipe. also, add ingredients that suck up moisture: grains, some seeds, etc.

OP
L

Littlechris123

Aug 18, 2021
Media
Worksop nottinghamshire
Parrots
Pineapple conure

Sometimes I give it to her dry, and sometimes I wet it down. (And actually I'm overdue for a new order, so, thanks for the reminder!)

You can order their premixed variety of mixes, or you can purchase the 1-pound or 2-pound "Create Your Own Mix," where you select the ingredients. (This is what I do, so I can include items my Sunny likes, or at least tolerates, and leave out things she definitely doesn't like.)
Ty for all replies i will try all what was adviced ty 💓

ctwo

May 16, 2019
Parrots
Mango the Indian Ringneck and Peach the Cockatiel; Kiwi found a new home
Mine eat about 10% of what I make fresh. I've ground it up fine and rolled it flat with filler like oats, quinoa, or similar, and then I'll toast/dry it in a convection toaster oven on a silicone matt to make chips.

Most Reactions

Latest posts